PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Nicholas Escude?

bluetrain4
04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
For a couple of years not long ago, he seemed to be a real threat, if not to win majors, at least to give the top players a real test. Had tons of game, but then disappeared.

Is he struggling down in the challengers? Did he retire?

Maybe this should be in Former Pro Player discussion

VGP
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
He retired due to injury.....

el sergento
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
For a couple of years not long ago, he seemed to be a real threat, if not to win majors, at least to give the top players a real test. Had tons of game, but then disappeared.

Is he struggling down in the challengers? Did he retire?

Maybe this should be in Former Pro Player discussion

Actually, he would only ever show up to play at the majors. He did win the Davis Cup though so it wasn't that bad of a career. I loved watching him play, he would run everything down and had one of the sweetest two handers.

ericsson
04-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, dangerous player, he could give everyone a very hard time.

joeri888
04-18-2008, 04:02 AM
His brother is still playing football for Sevilla:) I liked julien and Nicholas

origmarm
04-18-2008, 04:46 AM
He won Rotterdam a few times I think and maybe Marseille though I might be dreaming that one.

Retired in 2006 due to shoulder problems. It was pretty sudden from what I remember. I'm pretty sure at one point he was in the top 20 but it would have been a while before he retired.

Used to like to watch him play

Edit: I just remembered that I used to think he had quite an odd shaped head also :)

Ocean Drive
04-18-2008, 06:12 AM
His name is actually Nicolas, he won Toulouse, Rotterdam twice and Doha. He should have won more but he was a player with injury problems. He was one of my favourite players.

His last match was played in Canada, 2004.

bluetrain4
04-18-2008, 07:32 AM
After posing the question I did a little research.

He reached a career high of No. 17.

Made the SFs of the AO, 4th Rnd at the French, QF at Wimbledon, and QF at US Open over the course of his career. Very good results.

Won the decisive 5th match in France's 2001 Davis Cup victory.

Formally retired in 2006, but hadn't played the last 22 months of his career.

I remember him having a a lot of game and he was fun to watch. Had some wins over big players too.

slice bh compliment
04-18-2008, 07:36 AM
He's living in a garage apt in West Hollywood. Not getting a ton of work yet, but he just got a callback to be the body double for the CryptKeeper.

el sergento
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
He's living in a garage apt in West Hollywood. Not getting a ton of work yet, but he just got a callback to be the body double for the CryptKeeper.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/tylerelliot/Rui3ae2leCI/AAAAAAAABDE/G82YHNO3zbk/1146421945059.jpg

Careful, he might come after you!

el sergento
04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
After posing the question I did a little research.

He reached a career high of No. 17.

Made the SFs of the AO, 4th Rnd at the French, QF at Wimbledon, and QF at US Open over the course of his career. Very good results.

Won the decisive 5th match in France's 2001 Davis Cup victory.

Formally retired in 2006, but hadn't played the last 22 months of his career.

I remember him having a a lot of game and he was fun to watch. Had some wins over big players too.

The guy had major guile and tonnes of heart, really puts Gasquet to shame. He also thrived on big moments which made him extremely dangerous in slams.

Moose Malloy
04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I think the Sampras-Escude match from the '02 AO was the last match on tour in which both players came in well over 100 times. Even then it was bit startling to see such constant aggression from both players, esp on a hardcourt.

laurie
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone remember the 2001 Wimbledon quarterfinal?

Did Nicholas retire or did he finish the match? I remember he won the first set but then had some problems.

I agree he was potentially a consistent world class player who liked to come to net a lot, liked serving and volleying on fast surfaces, as was pointed out he had a good indoor record.

I've had a conversation with my French friend over this and he agrees - but I find it incredibly ironic for French Tennis that:

Amelie Mauresmo, Guy Forget, Cedric Pioline, Sebastien Grosjean, Nathalie Tauziat, Richard Gasquet, Nicholas Escude and probably Tsonga in future - they have all had better grass results than clay results.

The French are natural shotmakers and yet the French Open is played on the slowest surface, the French players always do better at Wimbledon.

tintin
04-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Does anyone remember the 2001 Wimbledon quarterfinal?

Did Nicholas retire or did he finish the match? I remember he won the first set but then had some problems.

I agree he was potentially a consistent world class player who liked to come to net a lot, liked serving and volleying on fast surfaces, as was pointed out he had a good indoor record.

I've had a conversation with my French friend over this and he agrees - but I find it incredibly ironic for French Tennis that:

Amelie Mauresmo, Guy Forget, Cedric Pioline, Sebastien Grosjean, Nathalie Tauziat, Richard Gasquet, Nicholas Escude and probably Tsonga in future - they have all had better grass results than clay results.

The French are natural shotmakers and yet the French Open is played on the slowest surface, the French players always do better at Wimbledon.

Mauresmo's clay results are spectacular but at RG like you said.
Rome:2005,2004
Finalist:2003,2000,1999

Berlin:2004,2001
Finalist:1998

Warsaw:2003

Amelia Island:2001
Finalist:2004

Elina
04-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Nicolas Escudé has been one of my favourite players for long. It's sad that his career was cut short because of the shoulder injury. :(