PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Baghdatis?

Leublu tennis
04-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Anyone know? He is not listed for Monte Carlo.

daddy
04-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Well he did skip Miami for 'personal' reasons. I dont know if this is the same or something else but surely seems odd that he'd skip another big tourney. I am also curious.

Buuurnz
04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
yeah hopefully nothing wrong with him or his family! I just hope he comes back big time, he's the man!

vive le beau jeu !
04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
between skipping miami and monte-carlo, he won the 3 points that made cyprus win over slovenia in davis cup... so at least, i guess it's not a serious injury or something like this.

Lefty5
04-18-2008, 07:36 AM
too many donuts

ndtennis
04-18-2008, 07:51 AM
yea i dont know whats up with him, but hopefully he can get over it soon

PROTENNIS63
04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
He has to focus on tennis more. He plays great at the slams but that's about it.

mrmo1115
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
marcos is kind of up-and down

he can hang and beat some of the best players in the world ... but then he can also lose to a no-body or someone he shouldn't lose to

his game is a little eratic i think

Gugafan
04-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I was suprised he reached the R32 at Roland Garos last yr. His game doesnt seem to translate well to clay. He needs to get the intensity back. The big crowds and arenas seem to inspire him most.

supermario343
04-19-2008, 08:40 AM

he can hang and beat some of the best players in the world ... but then he can also lose to a no-body or someone he shouldn't lose to

I agree with you mrmo...very up and down player :-P

tintin
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
well since he split with his French coach I think that Marcos' tennis has suffered a tad.
He hired a Greek coach who resigned less than a year after that partnership started.

daddy
04-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I was suprised he reached the R32 at Roland Garos last yr. His game doesnt seem to translate well to clay. He needs to get the intensity back. The big crowds and arenas seem to inspire him most.

That reminded me of Tsonga's quotes from AO this year. So you like the crowds ? There are big crowds at IW and Miami also as there are in all of the masters most of the time. He should concentrate on tennis more than on crowds.

ford oliver
04-19-2008, 04:39 PM
MB will not be at any Masters Series events on clay. Might return for Roland Garros.

daddy
04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
MB will not be at any Masters Series events on clay. Might return for Roland Garros.

What the hell is happening ? He's not injured, yet he does not play for like 3 months. I understand personal reasons are personal but stage a presser for gods sake.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I like Baghdatis, and everyone has a different personality and ways of winning or losing for that matter, but I would like to see him play more. Its hard to take 3 months off not playing at ATP level and then go back and get godo results, unless its a personality type with more drive and hard work ethics than Marcos.

Magix
04-19-2008, 06:14 PM
How do you (I'm not saying this in an offensive manner)?

Leublu tennis
04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I still say there is something wrong. Hope its not too serious. If you have ever met him in person, what a charming guy.

Tshooter
04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
"He plays great at the slams but that's about it."

Not really.

USO : played 4 times. Never advanced past the second round. Twice out in the first round. Performance = poor.

French: played three times. One first round loss. One second round loss (to the great clay courter Julien Benneteau). And round of 16 last year. At least the trend is good at this tourney. Performance = adequate, at best.

Australian: Played 4 times. Lost R16 in 05. Had the great run in 06 to the finals. R2 in 07. And the match against Hewitt last year. Overall very good to excellent. Great if you want to stretch it.

W: Three results. 1st round. Semis and a quarters. Performance = very good to excellent.

Does it really add up to great? Maybe if you exclude both the French and the USO and really stretch the definition of great.

Leublu tennis
04-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Just saw that he is scheduled for Barcelona. I guess he is O.K.

IvanAndreevich
04-23-2008, 01:18 AM
He's so awesome once he gets pumped up. His match is the most exciting match I saw at Pacific Life Open this year. He was playing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Odesnik. Seriously, he was losing almost. And then you know we started cheering. And then everyone started cheering. And then it was rampage of cheering for Baghdatis.

My, my. He started hitting winners left and right, aces, drop shots, no unforced. Freaking onslaught, impossible shots. Bam, it was over.

At the end of the match he turned to our stands and threw all his arm bands, head band, etc and thanked us for cheering him on. Probably 500 of us. If anyone watched his 5 set match against Agassi at the USO 2006, you'll know how he can get transformed instantly.

philzy
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
baghdatis is not in the barcelona draw so why isnt he playing

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
It's a shame that one of the most exciting, charismatic players on the ATP tour is missing in action.

Leublu tennis
04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Well, I certainly agree about his charisma et al. Just wish something would come out about his problem(s). Whatever it may be, I wish him the best. He is a fine individual and a real loss to the showmanship that is so seldom seen on the courts these days.

Tennisfan!
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Men! What happen to you! The only good thing that Marcos did in tennis was AO final in 06! NOTHING ELSE!

ndtennis
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Men! What happen to you! The only good thing that Marcos did in tennis was AO final in 06! NOTHING ELSE!

semis of wimbledon is nothing?

flyer
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
what hapened to bags is an unfortunate waste of talent, i dont mean to get all pyschologist on you guys here but i think tennis was forced on baghdatis while he was growing up and he was not happy with that life and he kind of built up some resentment, so now that he can run his own life he doesn't let tennis dictate it as it did growing up, thats why i think he is unmotivated and will forever be an underacheiver and prolly not stick around for more than a few more years despite his extreme talent

Leublu tennis
04-28-2008, 01:40 AM
what hapened to bags is an unfortunate waste of talent, i dont mean to get all pyschologist on you guys here but i think tennis was forced on baghdatis while he was growing up and he was not happy with that life and he kind of built up some resentment, so now that he can run his own life he doesn't let tennis dictate it as it did growing up, thats why i think he is unmotivated and will forever be an underacheiver and prolly not stick around for more than a few more years despite his extreme talent

Why don't we find out whats wrong first, before we write him off forever.

flyer
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Why don't we find out whats wrong first, before we write him off forever.

its just my prediction, understand though that even when things are "right" he underachieves

Leublu tennis
04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
its just my prediction, understand though that even when things are "right" he underachieves
I hope you are wrong. He is one of the nicest people I've met, and I don't mean just tennis players. Players from other sports, other starts and people who deal with the public.

superman1
04-30-2008, 02:25 AM

The match with Agassi was a classic.

He needs to get fit. NOW. I hope he's taking the time off to get fit, because he's a complete fool if he doesn't. Agassi was saying that he has all the talent in the world, he just needs to figure out how to use it. He said that during that match, there were moments when he put a ball in the court and thought, "oh no, he's going to kill it," and then Baggy would just play it safe instead. Learn from Agassi, dummy! Maximize your talent.

flyer
04-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I hope you are wrong. He is one of the nicest people I've met, and I don't mean just tennis players. Players from other sports, other starts and people who deal with the public.

i hope im wrong too, bags is def one of my favorite players, i just get that feeling about him though

Dilettante
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM

I scored four goals in a football match once when I was in a team.

The following week, I scored two. The following, I scored... seven!

Everyone thought that I had emerged as a genius in disguise, but that was not the case. I was just specially focused and everything else just happened to go right. That was not my real level of play: I deserved those goals because I scored it, but if I had deserved to score five goals every single match after that, I'd just done it.

Sometimes, everything seems to work 100% for a short time, and after that, things just go back to normal.

tacou
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
i miss marcos

Leublu tennis
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
i miss marcos
I miss him too. Where is he? Whats happening to him?

dimitr
05-01-2008, 12:55 PM
He has a slight promblem with his foot .He is doing phisiotherapy hopefully ready for the French