PDA

View Full Version : The search for poor man's string

charaseac
04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
I just started playing tennis for one and half year. The cost here in Vancouver is expensive. Then this is where i started to look for cheaper alternative.

From what i found so far, major name doesn't always mean the best for string. the non major string maker produce good strings too and they are generally cheaper because they don't endorse top players to use their string which = savings for customer.

So, let's start our search for the best price/performance ratio.

Price here is obvious.

For performance we can narrow the criteria to things that will eventually lead to saving:

Durability: Strings not breaking which lead to less restringing
Less tension loss: Strings keep its performance which lead to less restringing
Playability: Strings playability is on par with more expensive major brand strings which means saving too.

We assume that 1 reel will be enough to string about 18 times

Please answer with price per stringing (without the labour cost) and comments about the performance.

I searched around and read reviews from this forum, then i researched on the price. Right now i only know about poly, so these are what i consider relatively cheap (<= $100) with good reviews across this board
For starters, let me provide prices of these strings

- Topspin Cyber Flash ($68/reel)
- Pro Supex Big Ace ($80/reel)
- Topspin Cyber Power ($85/reel)
- Signum Pro Poly Plasma ($99/reel)
- Pro Supex Blue Gear ($100/reel)

I also found from 1 website Which provide with a new nylon string which is crazy cheap

- Forten Competition Nylon ($17/reel) --> no, its not typo, it is $17/reel

charaseac
04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
This is the example of what i expect:

Full Cyber Flash
$68/reel = $3.78/stringing (68/18)

Comments: Good durability and so on...

or this is what i actually found the cheapest:

Hybrid Cyber flash + Forten Competition Nylon
Cyber flash $68/reel
Forten $17/reel
total $85 for 2 reels.

Assume can string for 2*18 = 36 times

Cost = 85/36 = $2.4 / stringing

Comments: Obviously amazing saving although i never actually try the performance

Nitro
04-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Uhhh... there was a thread exactly like this last week. Prince syn gut is widely considered to be one of the best inexpensive strings.

origmarm
04-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Basically:
- For syn gut: PSG Duraflex in the 16. Best value still good string
- For Poly: Big Ace or Cyberflash seem to be cheap and well rated. I am currently trying both in a hybrid and forming some opinions.
- For Gut: Klip Legend lasts the longest. Get it in 15L or 16. It feels stiffer than most gut though.

That's my feelings on it. Not being the biggest string buff my universe is limited but I have found the above to be good (for the syn and the gut, both of which I have played with a lot of different types) and recommended to me frequently (the polys). Good luck

Valjean
04-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Go here first: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

fridrix
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I like the Forten Competition Nylon; I think I got mine from TW. It is easy to work with, too. I am just a lowly 3.5 though. The best part is the black color. It is a heavy string and seems to last a long time; I'm sure there are more playable strings out there but I kind of like this stuff.

Babb
04-18-2008, 12:54 PM
My poor man combo is Big Ace and Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex. Not very expensive and plays very well.

scotus
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
My poor man's combo is Babolat VS Team Gut and Iso Speed Professional hybrid.

I used to use PSGD and polys. They were way too expensive for me.

Babb
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
^^^^
LOL. (10)

VS Team Gut is a little cheap for me. When I'm rich I think I'll try some Competition Nylon.

;)

scotus
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I was actually being serious.

Here's the cost analysis:

PSGD 17 gauge: I break it in 2 weeks.
$4.00 for the string and $11 for labor.
$120 total for a period of 4 months.

Polys: They die on me in less than 2 weeks.
$120-$200 for a period of 4 months.

Babolat VS Team natural gut + Isospeed Pro Hybrid: Lasts me 4 months and still going strong.
String cost: $23. Labor cost: $11.
Total of only $34 for the period of 4 months. Hands down winner in my book!

Pusher
04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I just started playing tennis for one and half year. The cost here in Vancouver is expensive. Then this is where i started to look for cheaper alternative.

From what i found so far, major name doesn't always mean the best for string. the non major string maker produce good strings too and they are generally cheaper because they don't endorse top players to use their string which = savings for customer.

So, let's start our search for the best price/performance ratio.

Thats mostly what this board is all about-finding the best string at the best price for each individual player. I suspect most of us have performed the price calculations, did the playtest, read the reviews. There is only so many ways to ask the same question over and over.

I doubt we will ever see the one thread with the one post-"This is the best string ever-look no more". Although a few have made that claim.

Mansewerz
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Tecnifibre synthetic gut
$29.99 for 660' reel.

And if stringing costs are pretty high, then get a stringing machine. By the way, what is the stringing price?

uabucks
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Klip Kicker--
722 feet 45$
nice crisper synth gut

Banks
04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Thats mostly what this board is all about-finding the best string at the best price for each individual player. I suspect most of us have performed the price calculations, did the playtest, read the reviews. There is only so many ways to ask the same question over and over.

I doubt we will ever see the one thread with the one post-"This is the best string ever-look no more". Although a few have made that claim.

just wait untill i invent the new super kevlarmultipolygut string everyone has been looking for. durability of kevlar, with the suppleness of gut, and everything inbetween. :shock:

Nitro
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
just wait untill i invent the new super kevlarmultipolygut string everyone has been looking for. durability of kevlar, with the suppleness of gut, and everything inbetween. :shock:

That wasn't at all funny.

Anyone tried a Cyberflash and PSGM (or PSGD) hybrid? It seems to me like that would make a really cheap combo. Also, someone mentioned Tecnifibre syn gut. How does that play relative to PSGD/PSGM?

Richie Rich
04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
the tecnifibre syn gut plays more like the original PSG than the newer duraflex version. it's not bad. for the money it's a pretty decent string

TennisNinja
04-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Use the stuff out of your weedwhacker or fishing line.
JK, use PSGD.

tbini87
04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
surprised there hasn't been more talk about gosen og micro. a great string for the price.

i personally play with cyberflash mains and og micro crosses. makes a great hybrid that doesn't break the bank. i am restringing my 3 bats about every two weeks...

a decent poly at a good price is polylon sp 17. not a great string but it gets the job done for $50 a reel.

40Love
04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Leonia 66 is the ultimate poor man's string. It's 15L for durability, stays crisp for a long time and moves very little. Best of all - $2.70 a pack at Tennis Warehouse.

Breakaz54z
04-20-2008, 08:33 PM
surprised there hasn't been more talk about gosen og micro. a great string for the price.

i personally play with cyberflash mains and og micro crosses. makes a great hybrid that doesn't break the bank. i am restringing my 3 bats about every two weeks...

a decent poly at a good price is polylon sp 17. not a great string but it gets the job done for $50 a reel.

I agree, Gosen Micro is a very good string for cheap. 30 bucks for a 660' reel at different competitors. The tension doesn't seem to last very long.. could be my stringing mistake though.

Djokovicfan4life
04-21-2008, 04:35 AM
My brother uses Big Hitter Blue with excellent results. The string of the Smurfs.

FH2FH
04-21-2008, 07:15 AM
I like the Forten Competition Nylon; I think I got mine from TW. It is easy to work with, too. I am just a lowly 3.5 though. The best part is the black color. It is a heavy string and seems to last a long time; I'm sure there are more playable strings out there but I kind of like this stuff.

The 15g, $17/reel stuff? I have some. I'll probably use the rest of it in hybrids or racquets I plan to sell. It feels very muted, like a Prince O3 frame, and is spongy. I've never strung it over 60# though. Not very powerful either. I like the color and price, but that's it.

The Prince Tournament Nylon is ok. Better than the above. Feels more crisp, but definitely not crisp by PSGD standards. Low powered also.

You can buy lots of good strings for $30/50 a reel - syn gut/polys. Syn guts aren't durable enough for me though unless in 15g. Polys over $100 aren't really worth it IMO.

TheDesertFox47
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
cyberflash mains, psgd crosses

mad spin/playability