PDA

View Full Version : how do you know is low tension string

silent189
04-18-2008, 12:26 AM
how do I know my string is low tension ?

origmarm
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Its a pretty vague question but I'll try and help you out. You have two fundamental questions here I think:

1) Was my string strung at low tension or is my reference tension low?

Here you should check the reference tension range on your racquet and if you know what it was strung at you can compare it to this. You can also look it up on TW here if they sell your racquet. If you don't know, and you have the original strings in the racquet, this will be in the middle of the tension range. Most shops will have a gauge to measure tension and will be able to tell you otherwise.

2) Have my strings lost a lot of tension?

I think this is more likely what you are getting at. The short answer is that you can just feel it, can you feel a lot of flex in the string bed when you hit a shot? Can you move the strings easily on your racquet with your fingers?

It's also perception. If you feel they are too loose, they are probably too loose for you. Polyester strings in particular lose tension quickly

As a rough guide, at minimum you should also string your racquet as many times a year as you play a week, so if you play once a week, restring it once a year.

I hope it helps