PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut

KerryJ
04-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Jeez. I hate it. Does anyone else have this opinion? I got it on a whim, Babolat VS Touch 17, and it feels like crap. Very dead, little power. Only good thing to say is plenty of touch, almost too much. Are there any other "gut haters", or am I all alone?

IanRichardson
04-18-2008, 06:05 AM
did you string the gut yourself?

I think you may be the first person I have heard to say gut didnt provide power.

Gut isnt a miracle string, but it has the beset all around playability. I would say whoever strung your racquet with the gut did not do a good job if it didnt play well, either that or strung it way too tight.

ledor
04-18-2008, 07:07 AM
you just don't like soft, "so-powa", amazing string.

you must have strung it real low to not like it, or had a bad string job just like the previous poster said.

Lefty5
04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
i don't like it compared to my full poly set up these days but pre-poly's I used to love it. Looks like you're a poly guy too so its a tough transition and gut will def play different. I think it takes some getting used to.

nickb
04-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Jeez. I hate it. Does anyone else have this opinion? I got it on a whim, Babolat VS Touch 17, and it feels like crap. Very dead, little power. Only good thing to say is plenty of touch, almost too much. Are there any other "gut haters", or am I all alone?

I dont really know what to say...gut is very powerful and jumpy. How can it have too much touch?!

Did you string it yourself? What tension?

Nick

Motherwasp
04-18-2008, 07:32 AM
On your own ;)

pennc94
04-18-2008, 07:35 AM
If you have any more VS Team laying around, please send it to me.

PROTENNIS63
04-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Natural Gut is indeed very powerful and very soft. Touch is amazing. I have never heard someone had such an awful experience with gut like you had.

scotus
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
VS Touch, as far as I know, does not come in 17 gauges.

So you either tried VS Touch in 15L or 16, or you tried VS Team in 17 gauges.

The only way gut would feel dead is if you completely prestretched all the life out of the strings. But even then, it would not feel dead compared to polys.

There's something wrong here.

themitchmann
04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree...this doesn't seem right at all.

wao
04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Jeez. I hate it. Does anyone else have this opinion? I got it on a whim, Babolat VS Touch 17, and it feels like crap. Very dead, little power. Only good thing to say is plenty of touch, almost too much. Are there any other "gut haters", or am I all alone? I think you are alone on this. Gut in general is a very powerful, playable string. I would believe that is why so many use it in a hybrid is to control the power.

fastdunn
04-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Some people don't like gut but something doesn't sound right here. Babolat VS gut is just about the most powerful and the most NOT dead string of all...

Babb
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Okay, so a poly user is calling gut low-powered? Hm. Perhaps it was strung too tightly, or perhaps it was defective string (hey--it's a possibility).

themitchmann
04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Or maybe the balls were flat?

Pusher
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM

Looks like you're alone.

TonyB
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Couldn't disagree with the OP more.

The only reason I would switch away from the gut I use now is due to price. Best-feeling, most powerful string out there.

brownbearfalling
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Try it again in a few months. Maybe it'll be different.
________
Asian Vid (http://www.****tube.com/categories/4/asian/videos/1)

Bigtime
04-19-2008, 07:30 AM
The only things I don't like about gut are:

(1) Price

(2) Finding stringers that are experienced and adept at working with gut.

10nistennis
04-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Im thinking the problem started when the gut was strung, because gut is NOT low powered.

MAX PLY
04-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Agreed. It sounds like a bum stringing job. That, or some counterfeit string from some other animal (think smaller, more legs).:)

scotus
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Agreed. It sounds like a bum stringing job. That, or some counterfeit string from some other animal (think smaller, more legs).:)

More legs? You've got me all confused.