PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated player from 1985-1987 class

anointedone
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Who is the most overrated player of the overrated members of the 1985-1987 class?

-Richard Gasquet
-Tomas Berdych
-Marcos Baghdatis
-Andy Murray
-Gael Monfils
-other

I dont count Nadal and Djokovic since they are awesome. I dont count Tsonga since he isnt overhyped, if anything he is underhyped especialy compared to these dweebs listed above. I also dont count Haase who is if anything very overlooked, and very talented.

diegaa
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
i will have to say monfils. then, baggy boy.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
My pick would have to be Andy Murray

RoddickAce
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
balls;2263175']My pick would have to be Andy Murray

same......

h7hugo
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
- Gasquet has already proved that he can get good results and he can improve a lot
- Berdych is a good player and like Gasquet he can improve his game
- Murray is talented but he hasn't prove anything in great tornements yet (but I'm sure that he will)
- Baghdatis reached a GS final but in general he's a top 20 player..
- Monfils...ooohh...There're so many things taht I can say about him... he's a waste of talent...

As far as Djoko and Rafa are concerned they already proved that they could be the future of tennis....

Steffi-forever
04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
- Gasquet has already proved that he can get good results and he can improve a lot
- Berdych is a good player and like Gasquet he can improve his game
- Murray is talented but he hasn't prove anything in great tornements yet (but I'm sure that he will)
- Baghdatis reached a GS final but in general he's a top 20 player..
- Monfils...ooohh...There're so many things taht I can say about him... he's a waste of talent...

As far as Djoko and Rafa are concerned they already proved that they could be the future of tennis....

THEY COULD? They are already the present!!!

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
How could some of you pick Murray over Monfils? Murray's won some tournaments and cracked the top ten for a stretch last year, while Monfils hasn't done much of anything yet.

Ocean Drive
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Definitely Monfils, what has he done so far? Great junior but not so great Pro, not yet anyway.

h7hugo
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
THEY COULD? They are already the present!!!

ok you are right...with Roger, thay are the best of today..

el sergento
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Who is the most overrated player of the overrated members of the 1985-1987 class?

-Richard Gasquet - 5 titles
-Tomas Berdych - 3 titles
-Marcos Baghdatis - 2 titles
-Andy Murray - 5 titles
-Gael Monfils - 1 title
-other

I dont count Nadal and Djokovic since they are awesome. I dont count Tsonga since he isnt overhyped, if anything he is underhyped especialy compared to these dweebs listed above. I also dont count Haase who is if anything very overlooked, and very talented.

Monfils should be the only option in the poll. All the others have performed somewhat according to relative hype.

Other than Baghdatis and Monfils the other players have wins vs. Federer, Murray even has 2. I think they perform according to expectation, especially considering it's the age of the GOAT.

And I don't agree with your assessment of Tsonga at all. Tsonga gets vasts amounts of hype. Right after his AUSO final people all over this board were projecting at least a top 5 finish for the year and every time he plays a top 10er he's expected to win, just do a search of some of the recent polls on here. I like Tsonga, but if anyone is overhyped it's him.

anointedone
04-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Monfils should be the only option in the poll. All the others have performed somewhat according to relative hype.

Other than Baghdatis and Monfils the other players have wins vs. Federer, Murray even has 2. I think they perform according to expectation, especially considering it's the age of the GOAT.

And I don't agree with your assessment of Tsonga at all. Tsonga gets vasts amounts of hype. Right after his AUSO final people all over this board were projecting at least a top 5 finish for the year and every time he plays a top 10er he's expected to win, just do a search of some of the recent polls on here. I like Tsonga, but if anyone is overhyped it's him.

Berdych and Gasquet have been beaten down countless times by Federer since their win, which for both remember was the very first time they ever played him a long time ago now. Gasquet's was on clay after being down a match point, and Berdych's was at the farce event of tennis called the Olympics. In retrospect both wins were huge one-time flukes, Berdych couldnt even get a set off Federer in Australia despite the first few months of this year Federer is playing his worst tennis in 7 years.

Other then Wimbledon last year Gasquet has not been past the 4th round of any other slam event. Berdych has never been past the quarters of a slam event.

Baghdatis peaked in 2006.

Murray has done well vs Federer up to now (if Federer becomes normal again that wont remain mind you) and well vs Roddick, however he does horrible vs almost anyone else. He has never once even beaten any of those players from his own age group of Nadal, Djokovic, Gasquet. He still hasnt even been past the 4th round of a grand slam.

They all are overhyped. Tsonga did get alot of hype for a couple weeks after Australia but I am not talking about the hype level they have received over a number of years, not just a couple weeks. Tsonga is nowhere near as overhyped as those others whose both talent level, potential, and achievements are all inflated in peoples mind; and quite frankly I wouldnt be at all surprised if Tsonga becomes better then all of them. He did a good job schooling a couple of those players in Australia.

el sergento
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Berdych and Gasquet have been beaten down countless times by Federer since their win, which for both remember was the very first time they ever played him a long time ago now. Gasquet's was on clay after being down a match point, and Berdych's was at the farce event of tennis called the Olympics. In retrospect both wins were huge one-time flukes, Berdych couldnt even get a set off Federer in Australia despite the first few months of this year Federer is playing his worst tennis in 7 years.

Other then Wimbledon last year Gasquet has not been past the 4th round of any other slam event. Berdych has never been past the quarters of a slam event.

Baghdatis peaked in 2006.

Murray has done well vs Federer up to now (if Federer becomes normal again that wont remain mind you) and well vs Roddick, however he does horrible vs almost anyone else. He has never once even beaten any of those players from his own age group of Nadal, Djokovic, Gasquet.

They all are overhyped. Tsonga did get alot of hype for a couple weeks after Australia but I am not talking about the hype level they have received over a number of years, not just a couple weeks. Tsonga is nowhere near as overhyped as those others whose both talent level, potential, and achievements are all inflated in peoples mind; and quite frankly I wouldnt be at all surprised if Tsonga becomes better then all of them. He did a good job schooling a couple of those players in Australia.

Tsonga didn't exist in the public's eye before Australia, so if we're measuring hype in terms of years well obviously he hasn't been over hyped since he's only been in the publics' eye for 4 months. But in those 4 months people have made him out to be the second coming of the tennis Jesus. I think the same goes with Baghdatis. He was a non entity before his AUSO run and hasn't been that hyped ever since, I mean no one seriously expects that much of him now a days. Like you said, he peaked in 2006 and although he's a crowed favorite and people enjoy watching him play no one expects the same results from him. It's hard to call Gasquet or Berdych over hyped because despite your points and relative lack of success, they're both top 10 players.

Monfils on the other hand I don't understand how he gets ANY hype. I mean he's the epitome of style over substance. Imagine if Nadal couldn't back up his attitude (vamos!) and look (huge muscles) with his game and results. What do you get?? MONFILS

Babb
04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Monfils (10)

el sergento
04-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Tsonga is nowhere near as overhyped as those others whose both talent level, potential, and achievements are all inflated in peoples mind; and quite frankly I wouldnt be at all surprised if Tsonga becomes better then all of them. He did a good job schooling a couple of those players in Australia.

He also schooled Nadal so there was no shame in loosing to Tsonga in the kind of form he was in Australia. Like I said, I like Tsonga, his game reminds me of Safin, and injuries aside, the fact remains that he's yet to win a title.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I have to go with Gael Monfils on this one, but on another note I was born in 1985 and in my mind I am suppose to be the best player in the world. :cry:

Nadal_Monfils
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
How is Monfils overhyped? No one expects him to go deep in any tournaments anymore. Maybe he was overhyped coming onto the pro circuit but no one really hypes him up any more. I voted for Murray because some people have said that he'll be top 4 this year and he is always on the verge of a breakthrough, but he seems inconsistent. One week he beats Federer and then he loses in the first round of the next tournament. I guess they all will progress with age and maybe fulfill their hype.

daddy
04-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Well Monfils in my mind surely. He is not overhyped now as someone said, compared to Murray or Gasquet but let me remind you he almost pulled a grand slam in juniors in 2004 getting to AO, RG and Wimby trophys then injuring himself and still managing to play in the uso where he eventually gave up and lost, surely because of the injury and rustyness to some level. Such a talent with such physical might has not been since since or before, sheer athleticism with insane variety and great shotmaking, excelent serve and yet - French. What a pitty.

superman1
04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Monfils isn't overhyped. No one talks about him.

None of them are overrated. Gasquet has one of the best backhands, Baghdatis is highly talented and needs to get his head straight, Murray also has a lot of talent, Monfils is one of the best athletes in the game...they still have time.

flying24
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Monfils by far. He is useless other then his athletic ability. His strokes are ugly and have no technique. He does not even look like a tennis player when you see him play.

Vision84
04-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Could you define overrated? I go by rankings and they don't lie. And to me Monfils is not overrated as he never gets credit here, just people going on about how overrated he is.

daddy
04-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Could you define overrated? I go by rankings and they don't lie. And to me Monfils is not overrated as he never gets credit here, just people going on about how overrated he is.

This thread is ( for me at least ) about who was tipped to be one of the greats of the time and failed to come close. Overrated would mean they were considered to be the next big thing and look what happened. Just my 2 cents.

lambielspins
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I go by rankings and they don't lie.

Indeed they dont. Monfils is ranked #63.

Grimjack
04-19-2008, 06:40 AM
I dont count Nadal and Djokovic since they are awesome.

And this is where your poll becomes worthless, because Nadal is the clear and correct answer here.

You can be very good, and still be the most overrated player on the planet.

Nobody on the tour -- perhaps nobody in history -- has failed to come through in the absurd ways the fans and the media have been guaranteeing Nadal will for years now.

The Australian Open? It's in the bag! Nadal is awesome on slow hardcourts!!!! (Loss, after loss, after loss.)

Wimbledon? This is his year! He'll build on the momentum from the French, and oust Federer once and for all this time! (Loss after loss.)

US Open? You saw him at Montreal! Nadal will own the hard courts from now on!!!1111 (Loss, after loss, after loss.)

We think Nadal may just win the Grand Slam, unseat Fed as #1, and become GOAT by year's end! (Ugh.)

Unlike the rest of these guys, these are actual things fans and media are saying about Nadal. Nobody is more hyped, nobody carries around so much unfulfilled promise. All these years, and all these promises later, he's still a one-surface wonder.

Again, it's not that he's not a great player, but fans and media have been promising slam after slam for years now. And the results just haven't come within light years of matching the hype.

By now, everyone knows Monfils will suck at every tournament he enters. People still haven't learned their lesson with Nadal. He's the very poster boy for overrated.

fer
04-19-2008, 08:44 AM
And this is where your poll becomes worthless, because Nadal is the clear and correct answer here.

Nobody on the tour -- perhaps nobody in history -- has failed to come through in the absurd ways the fans and the media have been guaranteeing Nadal will for years now.

The Australian Open? It's in the bag! Nadal is awesome on slow hardcourts!!!! (Loss, after loss, after loss.)

Wimbledon? This is his year! He'll build on the momentum from the French, and oust Federer once and for all this time! (Loss after loss.)

US Open? You saw him at Montreal! Nadal will own the hard courts from now on!!!1111 (Loss, after loss, after loss.)

We think Nadal may just win the Grand Slam, unseat Fed as #1, and become GOAT by year's end! (Ugh.)

Unlike the rest of these guys, these are actual things fans and media are saying about Nadal. Nobody is more hyped, nobody carries around so much unfulfilled promise. All these years, and all these promises later, he's still a one-surface wonder.

Again, it's not that he's not a great player, but fans and media have been promising slam after slam for years now. And the results just haven't come within light years of matching the hype.

By now, everyone knows Monfils will suck at every tournament he enters. People still haven't learned their lesson with Nadal. He's the very poster boy for overrated.

How is someone a one surface wonder if he has reached the wimbledon final twice and the AO semis once?
I think Nadal will one day take the Wimbledon title, last year he was close.
Also any player could be overrated if you consider the opinion of their most fanatic fans. I m sure many Djokovic fans think he s going to beat Nadal at the french and Federer at Wimbledon.

Grimjack
04-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I think Nadal will one day take the Wimbledon title, last year he was close.

I rest my case. The world is full of pie-in-the-sky Nadallie believers who are oblivious to the fact that Nadal will never win anything significant off the dirt.

You're just another in an infinite line. That's why he's so overrated. And why it's so easy to be blind to it because he's had very good results -- it means you really, REALLY have to rate him well beyond his potential or abilities. You must, in essence, have zero ####ing clue about tennis.

Congratulations on proving my point so effortlessly.

daddy
04-19-2008, 08:57 AM
^^ You have an issue with Nadal, you dont like the guy. We all know what he did and he is 21, nothing wrong with his career thus far. 3 times slam winner, 5 times finalist, won 23 tourneys and will most probably jump to over hewitt's 26 titles and become the 2nd active player with most tourney wins during the clay season. With the best part of 6-7 seasons to play this is a great acomplishment.

fer
04-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I rest my case. The world is full of pie-in-the-sky Nadallie believers who are oblivious to the fact that Nadal will never win anything significant off the dirt.

You're just another in an infinite line. That's why he's so overrated. And why it's so easy to be blind to it because he's had very good results -- it means you really, REALLY have to rate him well beyond his potential or abilities. You must, in essence, have zero ####ing clue about tennis.

Congratulations on proving my point so effortlessly.

Well Borg said that Nadal would win Wimbledon this year, so I guess he has no ****ing clue about tennis too.
On 2006 people said that Nadal was only good on clay and he would not last long on grass, he reached the final.
On 2007 people said his last year final was a fluke and no way he d reach it again, he reached the final.
I dont know why there are still people that refuse to give credit to Nadal when he plays on grass.

93sq.
04-19-2008, 09:06 AM
I choose:

ALL OF THEM!

Raoul_Duke
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Should I say Monfils?

lambielspins
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
If Gasquet had Roddick's backhand he would be lucky to be in the top 100. No exagerration either.

Tempest344
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
If Gasquet had Roddick's backhand he would be lucky to be in the top 100. No exagerration either.

Maybe
Gasquet does have a lot more variety than Roddick and can play on all surfaces

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Thought it was the year they were playing and was going to say Zivojinovic, but I would say Monfils (after I read it more completely).

Vlad
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM

And if Roddick had Gasquet's serve, than he would not be in top 100 either... so what's the point?

Vision84
04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
This thread is ( for me at least ) about who was tipped to be one of the greats of the time and failed to come close. Overrated would mean they were considered to be the next big thing and look what happened. Just my 2 cents.

Then Monfils by far.

daddy
04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Thought it was the year they were playing and was going to say Zivojinovic, but I would say Monfils (after I read it more completely).

Someone remembers Zivojinovic. Oh my. !!! :)

Id kill for the dvd of this match from Aussie quarters :

Q McEnroe, John (USA) 2 2-6 6-3 1-6 6-4 6-0

Hilarious. Mac complained about something for some time at the end of 4th set, and Boba sat down and ate a whole sandwich before he went out on court and bagled Mac. He selfestructed in semis vs Wilander though, I doubt Wilander hit one winner, he knew better. He just stood and waited for the inevetable mistake from the big guy.

crawl4
04-21-2008, 05:59 AM
i think a lot of people confuse being overrated with what a person has accomplished. Sure thats was signifies there talent and all but we havent seen most of these players reach that potential. How long did it take federer to dominate the game?..a player like murray i believe is not overrated, he is very talented if you have seen him play but he just hasn't had major results aside from some atp titles. I put this down to inexperience and nerves of closing out a match but also that he hasn't fully developed his game style..i do believe his is to defensive but if you have seen him attack its a joy. Out of those people i would say baghdatis but there still amazing players all of them.

el sergento
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Dumbest post ever. Look, remove Federer from the equation and Nadal is anything but a one surface wonder. In the past 5 years, outside the French, how many GS winners other than Fed have there been??? 2.

And how is the AUSO a slow court?? The rebound ace was mighty quick (ask Gonzales's forehand) and this year it was pretty fast too, rewarding flat aggressive play, hence a Tsonga-Djoker final. And I'm sorry, but the media never has Nadal as the favorite for any slam other than the French. Contender for sure, but never sure fire favorite like you make him out to be.

anointedone
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I just have to say I find it kind of funny JohnS who had an avatar which somehow led me to thinking he might be a fan of Berdych voted for Berdych. Especialy since voting for someone to be the most overrated of this particular group of players is quite the insult.
:)

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 12:53 AM
I have to go with Gael Monfils on this one, but on another note I was born in 1985 and in my mind I am suppose to be the best player in the world. :cry:

You know how to hurt a guy. By '85 I already had a son.

federerfanatic
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Definitely Tomas Berdych. I laugh how people bring up his win over Federer at the Olympics, as if that is a big event in tennis, as proof of how talented he supposably is. Or his wins over Nadal when he cant beat Nadal when it really matters like the Wimbledon quarters or a major Masters semi like in Miami.

Morrissey
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Grimjack gets the vote for dumbest poster ever. Followed by ninman at a close second.

deme08
04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Where is Djokovic in that list?

beernutz
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Career prize money:

Gasquet: $3,308,989
Monfils: $1,431,671
Berdych: $3,766,978
Baghdatis: $2,529,214
Murray: $2,243,325

What a bunch of deadbeats.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I originally voted for Monfils, but I think I need to revise my vote. Monfils can't be the most overrated because people don't think very highly of him anymore. How long has it been since people thought he had a legitimate shot at winning big tournaments?

I am now voting for Gasquet. People talk about him in much the same way people spoke of Marat Safin: an unbelievably talentented player who couldn't straighten out his head.

People keep expecting great things from Gasquet, and he consistently underperforms.

Grimjack
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Grimjack gets the vote for dumbest poster ever. Followed by ninman at a close second.

Post reported for gross violation of user agreement.