PDA

View Full Version : Signum Pro snapping while stringing

hit2mybh
04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I have seen people posting about SPPP breaking during stringing. I have a friend that uses this string and has experienced the same. I'd say he broke 2-3 half sets out of each reel he uses. Well today, he broke 3 half sets straight, in different positions of the racket so we can't blame the racquet, which is a fairly new Speedport Pro White. Then I gave him a set of 17g Pure to try. The Pure strung up fine, but when he was working on the crosses (PSGD), pop!! We both looked, shocked we saw that it was the SPPP, not even being pulled, and was already tied off.

I'd like to know about others experiences. What gauges, and maybe even about other brands that have similar issues. The reel he had was the 17L, orange version.

nickb
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I have used 7-10 reels of SPPP 1.18 and 1.23. I have never had a set snap on me during stringing or in customerís rackets on court. Could it be that there are some defective reels and I have been lucky? im not sure...

Strange thing is I have a mate who was using 1.18 SPPP and he couldnít keep a set in his racket as it snapped either on the machine or playing. I traded some string for 3-4 sets and used it without any breakage.

Could be SPPP is very sensitive to clamp tightness, tension and kinking.

Nick

hit2mybh
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
ok, i'll add to the request, type of stringer (electric, crank, or drop-weight).

There were never any kinks in the string. He is a well experienced stringer, probably 15+ years now as for myself as well. Never had any issues liek this before.

I wouldn't rule you as just being lucky though nickb. Could be all kinds of other factors. That's what I am trying to figure out. This has happened to him on two different machines, but both electric.

downey stringing master
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
i had it once on a ps 85.. 2 cross i think but the other 18 sets from the reel no probs.

downey stringing master
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
just before i switched to my babs. i had pht mains.. and is snapped outside the frame at 7 one up from a knot.. the string was set to 10% prestretch.. maybe poly responds badly to PS'ing?

nickb
04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Yep polys dont like pre-stretching....it can cause them to break.

I would never pre-stretch with polys as there is no benefit...it actually makes them play worse.

Nick

downey stringing master
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
nick, how do you find tension loss on pht?

nickb
04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
nick, how do you find tension loss on pht?

It loses tension pretty past...about the same as ALU Power I would say. I actually like it when its loosened up..I get more feel, power and spin.

Nick

downey stringing master
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
just spent 3 hours solid doing my storms.. in my sig strings .. il let you know how "crap" the syn gut is =P , is it really bad? =[

hit2mybh
04-18-2008, 03:50 PM
good point about the pre-stretch. i never pre-stretch poly and my friend was not using the pre-stretch setting at the time of any snapping.

nickb
04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
just spent 3 hours solid doing my storms.. in my sig strings .. il let you know how "crap" the syn gut is =P , is it really bad? =[

I hated it :)

Nick

HodeClassicMP
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I just got my stringer machine, flex 940. And have so far re-strung around 12 rackets with sppp1.23 version, tension 53/51. Never had problem like this.

What tension you put on string?

ARNICOLINI
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I recently tried SPPP Pure 1.18 for the first time and loved it. Howver it snapped after less than 20 games and I am only a 4.5 player who normally cuts out strings due to tension loss before they actually break.

It was a super windy day and I did end up catching the ball really low on the racket. I liked the string so much I ordered more and will let you guys know if it happens again.

hit2mybh
04-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I believe his tension was 61 lbs. He used it before in the O3 Tour MP, the string snapped maybe twice during stringing on those rackets. He gets a bit more life out of the string on the tighter bed of the sp pro white.

ARNICOLINI, from my experience, the string doesn't last too long in a full bed, but plays nice. I don't use it for the reason of just not lasting. I can't go into a match knowing I might go through a couple rackets. Though I usually have one Kev/PSGD setup in my bag for emergency.

couch
04-19-2008, 07:20 AM
The only problem I've ever had with SPPP (I actually use the LF Kryptonite, same thing) was when it first came out. I had some sets break on me on some off-center hits, mainly returning hard hit serves. I tend to swing fairly hard and when I hit off-center, near the throat, the strings just snapped. My pro shop also had some sets just snap in racquets while hanging in the wall so they stopped carrying it.

I actually stopped using the string and went back to kevlar for a short time (about 2 months) and switched back to SPPP and haven't had a problem ever since. I think they just had some bad batches in the beginning and have since, at least for me, worked it out.

I've never had a problem stringing it. You have to be careful with poly that you don't have any kinks or are making multiple pulls of the same cross or main.