PDA

View Full Version : A little help to save some money

freeskier730
04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
i was looking for a nice hybrid that will feel good and save some money... i was looking to maybe do half x-1 half price synthetic gut duraflex both 17g or maybe gosen sheep micro, if i were to do this tho should i put the synthetic in the mains or the x-1?

freeskier730
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
come to think of it would psgd 16g in the mains be the best to add some durability.. but i am using a 18x20 pattern so that would hurt spin potential...

Loco4Tennis
04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
i have not tried the "x-1" you mentioned, but what does it do, or rather whats good about it, power, durability, feel, soft
what ever it is, think of it like this
mains is where you will see the most of the string characteristics,
crosses is for feel mosttly
i like spin friendly mains and soft arm friendly crosses, i dont break strings, so i can get away by using the 17g gosen on the mains for a while
hope that helps you abit on your descision

freeskier730
04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
x-1 is a multi, which ive heard is very close to a natural gut, so im thinking about putting psgd in the mains for possibly a little more of a crisp feel and its cheaper price and putting x-1 in the crosses... or maybe put something like pro red code in the mains and gosen in the crosses...

nickb
04-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Dont put X-1 in the crosses...it would be a waste of money.

Loco4Tennis
04-19-2008, 04:49 AM
x-1 is a multi, which ive heard is very close to a natural gut, so im thinking about putting psgd in the mains for possibly a little more of a crisp feel and its cheaper price and putting x-1 in the crosses... or maybe put something like pro red code in the mains and gosen in the crosses...

good advise from nickb, i bought a set of multi recenttly, i put half of it on the crosses, mistake, like he said waist of money,
any cheap synthetic gut will do ok on the crosses,
if you buy expensive stuff, put it on the mains, that way you can truly see how the string you baught plays,
i did not notise a difference when i put the mutly on the cross, im still kicking myself about it, simply because i also strung a similar racquet with the multis on the mains and it plays sweet :-)

nickb
04-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Yeah the multi/gut mains with syn gut x's feels great...very crisp, better spin than full multi and the strings move less. Durability is bad but you cant have everything :)

Nick

freeskier730
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
thanks guys that helps i think im gunna go with X-1 mains gosen sheep micro crosses

Babb
04-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Agreed. (10)

Valjean
04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
When you put Red Code next to X-1 for a main string, you're not saying if you prefer the durability of the one or the comfort and power of the other, but these two are opposites.

You're also going to find the PSGD will saw through the X-1 in no time.

blackfrido
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM

I did that and you're right I wasted my money! I can't control the power of these strings [x-1]
first time I strung pro line II mains at 54 and x-1 crosses at 56, horrible
second time 57 and 60 still no control at all (at least for me)

iplaybetter
04-19-2008, 10:40 PM
x-1 mains, tecnfibre syn gut crosses, cuts the cost almost in halve

iplaybetter
04-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Agreed. (10)

not when used with proredcode mains

nickb
04-20-2008, 03:31 AM
not when used with proredcode mains

I think you know what I mean (in the cross with a syn gut main). But I would still say X-One is a waste of money even in a poly hybrid. A syn gut or pro supex maxim touch (half the price) would do the same thing.

Joe D
04-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I use gosen poly and og micro check out the prices the best . for hybrid and play great.both reels for 75