PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive string problem - suggestions ?

bluegrasser
04-19-2008, 04:23 AM
I started with a hybrid ( excel/spikey ) which caused elbow problems, then went with excel 100% and that was good but still some control issues. My hitting partner suggested PSG duroflex, but control was real bad, especially when I get a short ball to the forehand - I just can't keep it in the court.

I don't want to give up on this stick just yet, as there's real advantages with the pop + I'm an old guy and I need all the help I can get. The bottom line is, I'd like a softer string with not too much pop with good control and no elbow problems. Suggestions please....

PED
04-19-2008, 05:25 AM
I use the PDR and I'm 43 with no arm issues, I mention that because it is possible for you to stick with the PD. I'm currently using SPPP 1.18 crossed with titan syn gut. I'm using 55/57 and have no issues at all. Control is excellent and the power amount is just right. I've also used big ace alot in the same stick with excellent results. I tend to like the thinner gauges 1.22 and 1.18 as it gives a bit more playability. NRG is also supposed to work well here.

nickb
04-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Try Head RIP Control with a higher tension..

Nick

Ross K
04-19-2008, 05:31 AM
And how about the Gosen?

nickb
04-19-2008, 05:34 AM
And how about the Gosen?

Yeah that also works well with a higher tension.

Coming from a multi head RIP Control would be more similar but lower in power with added spin compared to Xcel. Its also very durable for a multi type string.

Nick

bluegrasser
04-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - right now I have the PD at 60lbs. Q: how are the strings mentioned on the arm, I'm afraid any stiff string will cause elbow problems.

nickb
04-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Try head RIP Control in the PD at 60lbs...I know a 5.0 player who swears by the stuff in his PD for both touch and control.

Nick

hotseat
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah that also works well with a higher tension.

Coming from a multi head RIP Control would be more similar but lower in power with added spin compared to Xcel. Its also very durable for a multi type string.

Nick

RIP control is a fantastic string, but even in my 18x20 frames, I break them quite frequently. however, they don't have the "snapping" effect that syn gut can sometimes have, they will fray away. all depends on how much you play and what what style you swing with etc etc, but i play around 10 competitive sets a week and hit/drill for an additional 4 hours or so on top of those sets and a fresh RIP job lasts about 4 sets for me.

nickb
04-19-2008, 08:00 AM
RIP control is a fantastic string, but even in my 18x20 frames, I break them quite frequently. however, they don't have the "snapping" effect that syn gut can sometimes have, they will fray away. all depends on how much you play and what what style you swing with etc etc, but i play around 10 competitive sets a week and hit/drill for an additional 4 hours or so on top of those sets and a fresh RIP job lasts about 4 sets for me.

Well I said durable "for a multi string" (the durability of most multis is horrible). Its going to break faster than polys and some syn guts...I dont think the OP has a problem with durability since he has been using Xcel.

Nick

bluegrasser
04-19-2008, 08:33 AM
I just read the reviews of the RIP & many complaints about elbow pain. I really need a soft string with lower power that's easy on the arm, otherwise the PD is history.

nickb
04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I just read the reviews of the RIP & many complaints about elbow pain. I really need a soft string with lower power that's easy on the arm, otherwise the PD is history.

Thats strange...never heard of that and ive strung over 50 sets of the stuff for various customers.

What you are looking for doesnt really exist..

You could try a very soft string like natural gut and take the tension past 60.

Nick

master_stringer_mitchy
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
nick b is right. i have strung rip control for lots and lots of ppl in our shop and they all love it and have it time after time. use the 1.30 instead of the 1.20 thou. and if your not breaking excel, you will be fine, with the added bite the string gives, seems to be ur best choice. (nick, got the blue gear in yet, email me on how to pay vote4mitch@msn.com)

nickb
04-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Not here yet mate...will let you know when it arrives.

Nick

downey stringing master
04-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Try head RIP Control in the PD at 60lbs...I know a 5.0 player who swears by the stuff in his PD for both touch and control.

Nick

5.0 thought you were uk ? =/ or is it like a comparison to the us? im playing a club where wayne blacks deffo playing tomo! going to get mullered, its not fair drafting in these pro's .. dont ya think. btw nick i love the ****** optic yellow string with cyberblade tour theramxe =]

nickb
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM
5.0 thought you were uk ? =/ or is it like a comparison to the us? im playing a club where wayne blacks deffo playing tomo! going to get mullered, its not fair drafting in these pro's .. dont ya think. btw nick i love the ****** optic yellow string with cyberblade tour theramxe =]

I just use the US ratings on here...easier for readers as most are from US.

Thats cool...strange that a pro is playing...what you playing in? They will be paying him.

Glad you like it....I broke the stuff in 30 mins full job lol. I guess it makes a better cross string.

Nick

downey stringing master
04-19-2008, 03:44 PM
its KIA National Club League Division One.. 1st div in all UK. and were south east so i guess all the london clubs have decent players. Paul Hanley was due to play last week .. we will have martin lee soon ! and jamie delgado.. lol whats divs you do ?

its makes a good cross i broke it in an 1hr but i cut them out before i play because overall for the hybrid its 4.00 lol

nickb
04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
its KIA National Club League Division One.. 1st div in all UK. and were south east so i guess all the london clubs have decent players. Paul Hanley was due to play last week .. we will have martin lee soon ! and jamie delgado.. lol whats divs you do ?

its makes a good cross i broke it in an 1hr but i cut them out before i play because overall for the hybrid its 4.00 lol

1 hour? god you must like stringing!

I dont have a clue what division we are in this year...last season we couldnt put out a team for some matches. Guess I will find out next sunday!

Nick

downey stringing master
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
i broke the syn gut crosses.. its 1.23 mm .. not the poly in an hour! what area /club you in ?

nickb
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
i broke the syn gut crosses.. its 1.23 mm .. not the poly in an hour! what area /club you in ?

Well you still have to re-string the whole thing (unless you are just cutting out the crosses which is not good for the frame!).

Id rather not post where I live/play on here..

Nick

downey stringing master
04-19-2008, 03:55 PM
i restring the whole thing. takes 20-25 on my machine. im sussex? you? county ant be a give away. :P

nickb
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM
i restring the whole thing. takes 20-25 on my machine. im sussex? you? county ant be a give away. :P

Yorkshire

Still if they break every hour! Thats why I use full poly...I get around 10-15 hrs.

Nick

downey stringing master
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
i find tensions loss after 5-6 hours .. every 3rd day basically =/

Steve Huff
04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
If you need a poly for control, the Signum Poly Pro Plasma is the softest feeling I've tried. Others have suggested Head's RIP Control too. Personally, I like Head's FXP better. It is a nonpoly control string, and I never thought it was hard on my arm.