PDA

View Full Version : Big Ace Micro vs. Cyberflash 1.20?

hoodjem
04-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Shoot. I was all set to order a reel of Pro Supex BA Micro 1.15. Until yesterday.

Then I got back a newly strung set of CF 1.20 (hybrided with Forten Sweet crosses at 58/61 ). It felt really great: lots of feel, pop, crisp but not hard. And on the sweetspot, it let out a nice intimidating "crack."

So now I'm reconsidering: Big Ace Micro 1.15 vs. Cyberflash 1.20. Price is not the issue. I want crisp, feel, spin, touch--in that order. (With my 18 X 20, both will be plenty durable.)

Which would you choose (and why)?

PED
04-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Hood, if you want crisp and spin, than I think you have to go with CF. I've only used CF in the 1.25 and it was too stiff for me but I also went full poly with it and never used it as a hybrid. The control is better than the BA and the spin is better to but I like the power of BA. The 1.20 CF does sound good for a hybrid. Based on your characteristics, you've already answered your question: CF. Have you tried CP in the 1.20? It's a nice string as well. I know what you mean about that cracking sound. I get that sound big time with my SPPP hybrid. Very satisfying.

PROTENNIS63
04-19-2008, 08:55 AM
You will get better spin with the micro. Feel is also better with BAM. Cyber Flash may play a little crisper.

nickb
04-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Big Ace Micro...plenty crisp, really good feel, bites into the ball and spin is great.

Its still no luxilon ace...:)

Nick

Noisy Ninja
04-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I have extensive playing time with both strings and they are both very good strings. Both strings are quite popular on this board and offers very good performance to price ratio.
In my view, the main advantage Micro has over Cyberflash is in "feel". Micro is the only poly string I've tried to date that provides the amount of feel I require at the net (some on this board tout Luxilon Ace 18 for great feel but I haven't had the opportunity to try that particular string yet).
Regardless, in the past, I found only natural gut/synthetic gut/multis were adept for volleying but using those strings necessitated stringing at higher tensions to control power and provide the crisp feel I prefer. BA Micro is very similar in feel to a stiffer synthetic gut while offering the durability and spin potential typical of a poly string.
Only disadvantage with BA Micro concerns its tension maintenance properties; Cyberflash is slightly better in tension maintenance in my view. However, all polys suffer from the same tendency to lose substantial tension loss after a finite period of time. With BA Micro, I consistently find the need to cut the strings after (if it hasn't broken by then) ~ 6 hours of play. I'm a little bit more sensitive to tension loss than most so your mileage may vary. Hope that helps.

hoodjem
04-19-2008, 09:28 AM
^^^ Thanks alot. This does help much. I've had good luck with tension loss and durability with polys. Love those thinner gauges: 17L, 18g.

Big Ace Micro...plenty crisp, really good feel, bites into the ball and spin is great.

Its still no luxilon ace...:)

Nick

Ahh, Nick, you do love that Luxilon BB Ace. Sorry NIMPR.

nickb
04-19-2008, 09:31 AM
^^^ Thanks alot. This does help much. I've had good luck with tension loss and durability with polys.

Ahh, Nick, you do love that Luxilon BB Ace. Sorry NIMPR.

Ace is fantastic but Big Ace Micro is nearly there...

You should try the BA Micro...its a special string.

Nick

hoodjem
04-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Ace is fantastic but Big Ace Micro is nearly there...
This is quite an endorsement!

AmericanTemplar
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Yep, it's all about the Micro. I don't think that Cyberflash is really worth of all of the hype that it is given, but it is a good string for the price.

charaseac
04-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Shoot. I was all set to order a reel of Pro Supex BA Micro 1.15. Until yesterday.

Then I got back a newly strung set of CF 1.20 (hybrided with Forten Sweet crosses at 58/61 ). It felt really great: lots of feel, pop, crisp but not hard. And on the sweetspot, it let out a nice intimidating "crack."

So now I'm reconsidering: Big Ace Micro 1.15 vs. Cyberflash 1.20. Price is not the issue. I want crisp, feel, spin, touch--in that order. (With my 18 X 20, both will be plenty durable.)

Which would you choose (and why)?

Just wondering, when you used the hybrid setups, does the CF "eats" out the forten sweet? Thinking about doing exactly the same setup with CF1.25 in the main and forten sweet 16 in the crosses. Probably around 55/60 (or something around that range). Really want to try this but kinda worried of the durability of this setup and how long i can play with it.

BTW i can't try this setup with one set of strings because my local pro shop dont carry these strings. Thinking about collecting opinions from across the board before buying the whole reel later on. (and use a couple set of my overpriced babolat PRo hurricane on the way..)

Lloyd Barcenilla
04-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Strung some Big ace micro up just now, will report back once i've played with it.

hoodjem
04-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Just wondering, when you used the hybrid setups, does the CF "eats" out the forten sweet? Thinking about doing exactly the same setup with CF1.25 in the main and forten sweet 16 in the crosses. Probably around 55/60 (or something around that range). Really want to try this but kinda worried of the durability of this setup and how long i can play with it.

Maybe it's the way I hit, maybe it's the 18 X 20 pattern, maybe it's the highish tensions (58-61), but I have had no durability issues--none, zilch.

I've got some hybrids (that I really like) that are 3 months old with no visible "eating." I have been cutting them out rather than breaking. Don't string the CF Sweet too high--it'll feel hard and boardy.

Thanks to everyone--I'm going for the BAM.

Lloyd Barcenilla
04-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Played 2 sets with micro this morning. Loved it. More depth than my usual blue gear 1.25mm
I will get a reel of this if i do not like blue gear 1.19mm

charaseac
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe it's the way I hit, maybe it's the 18 X 20 pattern, maybe it's the highish tensions (58-61), but I have had no durability issues--none, zilch.

I've got some hybrids (that I really like) that are 3 months old with no visible "eating." I have been cutting them out rather than breaking. Don't string the CF Sweet too high--it'll feel hard and boardy.

Thanks to everyone--I'm going for the BAM.

Wow that sounds really nice. I might give a a go too. Thanks man.