PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Federer at Estoril (spoilers)

Mansewerz
04-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Okay, so he's back in the finals for the first time since Shanghai 2007. How do you expect him to do?

I expect Federer to win and gain a lot of his confidence back.

daddy
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Well this is a sub par event for him. Competiton was awfull and included a Portugese teenager, a out of form 86th Rochus and some unknown 107th player in the world and that is about it. He was bound to get to the final unles he broke a leg ( god forbid ).

He has his hands full in the final, hopefully Davy can produce as good show off as he did againts Serra ( blown off the court ) and we should have what is really a first serious test on clay for both of them.

Nadal_Freak
04-19-2008, 09:21 AM
My thoughts are he had no competition. The real test will be against Davydenko but he has always matched up well in their meetings. The players Fed should worry about most are Djokovic and of course Nadal.

MAX PLY
04-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Some of these responses are almost funny. Unfortunately, I am afraid any humor was unintentional. Fed's choices this week were to play one of three tournaments--none of which with a very deep field--or practice for a week. Of the choices he had, I think he made the best one, even if he loses to Davydenko. This tournament gave him some time on European clay, gave him an opportunity to play the best rated opponent in a tournament this week and gave Jose a chance to work with him in practice and see him in competition. Perhaps the competition was not the greatest, but arguably it was the best available this week. Not beating folks in bagels is hardly a criticism--this is not the women's tour--there is real depth on the men's side, especially during the clay season. There is no doubt that Federer is not playing his best but the choices he made this week reflect that he is choosing the best path to regain his form.

daddy
04-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Some of these responses are almost funny. Unfortunately, I am afraid any humor was unintentional. Fed's choices this week were to play one of three tournaments--none of which with a very deep field--or practice for a week. Of the choices he had, I think he made the best one, even if he loses to Davydenko. This tournament gave him some time on European clay, gave him an opportunity to play the best rated opponent in a tournament this week and gave Jose a chance to work with him in practice and see him in competition. Perhaps the competition was not the greatest, but arguably it was the best available this week. Not beating folks in bagels is hardly a criticism--this is not the women's tour--there is real depth on the men's side, especially during the clay season. There is no doubt that Federer is not playing his best but the choices he made this we reflect that he is choosing the best path to regain his form.

Actually he did not choose to play this tournament recently. The decision was made late last year and his schedule posted on his official web site incl this tourney was on line in January. Long before he knew he will lose form and get ill or for that matter hire Higueras - decision which was made during us hc tour ( IW and Miami ). This is a part of his pre RG preparation and he decided to do so 5 months ago or so.

I would think twice before calling some posts almost funny and yet not knowing something like this. He always decides on his schedule for the next year in December.

rommil
04-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Federer has lost to a lot of people lately that it probably will not be a shock to me if he does again in the finals.

MAX PLY
04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
My "funny" comment was gratuitous and really unnecessary-my apologies.

However, the fact that he chose some months ago to play Estoril is only slightly relevant (unless he is psychic) and if anything, it demonstrates his desire to play under pressure on clay rather than practice earlier this year than in years past. Of course, he could have chosen not to play or to have played another event irrespective of what he scheduled earlier. And again, of the three events possible this week, he apparently chose (even then) the best one. The fact that he has played below par (for him) thus far this year only makes his participation in this tournament more significant than when he originally scheduled it. It strikes me that playing some competition along with practicing is the best thing for his game right now. My only point is that irrespective of when he made the decision, when looked at today (the most relevant time), this choice is best course of action.

So, if you disagree, what do you believe he should have he done this week?

Zaragoza
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
My thoughts are he had no competition.

Rochus and Gremelmayr were really tough opponents. I guess Federer chose to play Estoril to find his good form but he isn“t looking better than in previous tournaments. Monte Carlo will be his first serious test of the clay season.

Lionheart
04-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Well this is a sub par event for him. Competiton was awfull and included a Portugese teenager, a out of form 86th Rochus and some unknown 107th player in the world and that is about it. He was bound to get to the final unles he broke a leg ( god forbid ).

He has his hands full in the final, hopefully Davy can produce as good show off as he did againts Serra ( blown off the court ) and we should have what is really a first serious test on clay for both of them.

The guy is no teenager, 23 years old, top 150 in the world, and he lost a set to gremelmayer today, who was playing pretty good tbh.

Just some corrections ;)

daddy
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
My "funny" comment was gratuitous and really unnecessary-my apologies.

However, the fact that he chose some months ago to play Estoril is only slightly relevant (unless he is psychic) and if anything, it demonstrates his desire to play under pressure on clay rather than practice earlier this year than in years past. Of course, he could have chosen not to play or to have played another event irrespective of what he scheduled earlier. And again, of the three events possible this week, he apparently chose (even then) the best one. The fact that he has played below par (for him) thus far this year only makes his participation in this tournament more significant than when he originally scheduled it. It strikes me that playing some competition along with practicing is the best thing for his game right now. My only point is that irrespective of when he made the decision, when looked at today (the most relevant time), this choice is best course of action.

So, if you disagree, what do you believe he should have he done this week?

Regardless of his form I aplaude him for the Estoril tourney. I always thought he should focus on clay more than he did and he said it himself, he did not play any small clay tourneys since 2002 or 2003 ( on clay ) and thats the big difference. For grass he had halle for hard adelaide/basel or gstaad or some others. For clay he only enter masters and slam which was his mistake and he noticed it and I am glad he did. Overall he knows what shoud he do and I wish him the best.

Dont worry about the silly comment, we all do this sometimes.

daddy
04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
The guy is no teenager, 23 years old, top 150 in the world, and he lost a set to gremelmayer today, who was playing pretty good tbh.

Just some corrections ;)

Oh sorry. Frederico Gil right ? I know one Portugese teenager played so I thought its him.

Nadal_Monfils
04-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I would say that Valencia has a tougher field of competition than Estoril but it really doesn't matter. The fact that Federer is even losing sets to guys like Rochus and Gremelmayr is not a good sign of his playing form right now. Federer should have cruised into the finals rather easily and not struggly to beat no names. Federer will need to improve to be able to do well in Monte Carlo.

Lionheart
04-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh sorry. Frederico Gil right ? I know one Portugese teenager played so I thought its him.

yeah, the teenager is Joćo Sousa, who lost to Gil 7-6 6-2

daddy
04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
yeah, the teenager is Joćo Sousa, who lost to Gil 7-6 6-2

You going to the final Lonheart ? If so , dont forget the camera or else .. I'd really like to see some shots from esotil final. Borrow a better cam if yours is not so good. :) Did you update estoril pic thread lately ?

Polaris
04-19-2008, 11:08 AM
My thoughts are he had no competition. The real test will be against Davydenko but he has always matched up well in their meetings. The players Fed should worry about most are Djokovic and of course Nadal.

Obvious. Post. Of. The. Century.

Mansewerz
04-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Yea, it truly shows Federer wants to get better at clay, regardless of where. It really doesn't matter that his opponents weren't as good, he's getting used to conditions on a clay surface. it's better than practicing on clay.

illkhiboy
04-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Obvious. Post. Of. The. Century.

Yes but he has to mention Nadal every other post regardless of the relevance. He reminds me of the South Park character, Timmy. Only with a bit more normality, and a lot less humour.

Lionheart
04-19-2008, 11:46 AM
You going to the final Lonheart ? If so , dont forget the camera or else .. I'd really like to see some shots from esotil final. Borrow a better cam if yours is not so good. :) Did you update estoril pic thread lately ?

I forgot the camera the last two days lol :P

but i“m taking it tomorrow don“t worry ;)

joeri888
04-19-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm not so sure whether Djoko is a bigger threat on clay than Ferrer, Nalbandian and Davydenko. For the number 1 spot he is of course, at the moment the biggest threat.

NicolasH
04-19-2008, 12:24 PM
The reason for Estoril wasn't the weak field. He didn't want to play 3 tournaments in a row (in 3 weeks).
During the press conference he talked about playing "2 and 2" meaning two tournaments back to back and then a break in between to work on his game, then 2 more tournaments before the French Open.

Cheers,
n.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
The reason for Estoril wasn't the weak field. He didn't want to play 3 tournaments in a row (in 3 weeks).
During the press conference he talked about playing "2 and 2" meaning two tournaments back to back and then a break in between to work on his game, then 2 more tournaments before the French Open.

Cheers,
n.

He also mentioned that since this year is an Olympic year, there is normally 2 weeks of practice before Italy, it made sense to add the extra tournament. Searching to find a balance on the surface.