PDA

View Full Version : Pure Roddick Drive or any other suggestions?

[ GTR ]
04-20-2008, 03:16 AM
As I've gotten better in the game and players are hitting a lot harder, heavier, deeper shots, I figured that my n90s are a bit too demanding. I mean I play very well with the n90 against people my level but I just want to give myself a better chance with the better players.

What I like about my n90:
*The weight although it could be a little bit lighter
*How headlight it is
*The control and mass of the frame which makes blocking hard shots easier.

If I wanted a new frame, I would want one that has more power, spin, larger head than 90" and a good weight (not light but not as heavy as my n90), around the same balance of headlight as my n90s).

Would you guys think that a babolat pure roddick drive standard be a good choice? It says a strung weight of one of them are 332grams and 5phl. 5phl is more head heavy than 9phl right? So if I were to strip off the leather grips on my n90s and put them on a pure roddick drive, would the balances be similar? I haven't demoed but looking at the specs and reviews of some racquets, It looks that the pure roddick drive is the new frame that would suit me since I wanted a racquet with good weight, larger head, more spin and power but I really want to know if putting a leather grip on the pure drive would make it more similar to the balance of my n90s??

Thanks for reading..

J011yroger
04-20-2008, 04:30 AM
It will help the balance somewhat, but won't make it like your N90s.

The obvious solution if you are looking for a little lighter a little more spin, a little bigger headsize would be the N95.

That is if you feel that you are just off by a bit, and need a touch more zip and to get around a hair quicker.

Plus you won't have to get used to the different grip.

If you feel that you are at more of a disadvantage than that, by all means demo the PD, it is a popular frame for a reason.

J

[ GTR ]
04-20-2008, 04:36 AM

The obvious solution if you are looking for a little lighter a little more spin, a little bigger headsize would be the N95.

That is if you feel that you are just off by a bit, and need a touch more zip and to get around a hair quicker.

If you feel that you are at more of a disadvantage than that, by all means demo the PD, it is a popular frame for a reason.

J

Hmm, thanks for your suggestion, I'll think about it. Do you really think that putting a leather grip on the PD won't make it anyway similar to the balance on my n90s? Comparing the n95 and n90, do they sorta hit the same and is the feel similar? When you hit with the n95, is there a noticeable difference in the spin and power compared to the n90?

Thanks

J011yroger
04-20-2008, 04:55 AM
I bought a PDR+ for giggles and put a leather grip on it because I can't play with anything else.

It changes the balance, but very slightly.

Swingweight is what you really need to be concerned with.

The 95 does not feel at all like the 90. It is not a box beam frame, and feels hollow like most other racquets on the planet that have oval beams.

If you don't have advanced racquetspeed the 95 will give you more pop and you will find spin easier to generate, how much of each, however is different for every player.

I would wager that you will find noticibly more pace and spin on your serve with the 95 aswell.

Price, and used frames should be better with the N95 if such things matter to you.

Really though, demoing is the only way to tell which is right for you because I have no idea of your age, playing style, or level.

J

jcstennis
04-20-2008, 05:36 AM
GTR... i really hate to be an echo here... but JR is usually dead on with this stuff. if you can, demo! I played with and bought (some time ago) a n90 and later a k90. both are fantastic racquets but i'm not at the level to use them consistently and constantly :(...but have been playing with the n6.1 95, with a little weight help and tinkering, the 95 has worked out well. i like my rax to be HL. the 95 still performs well HL. And it is not terribly stiff, stiff is what you will find with the Roddick. (I had PDR for awhile and liked a lot of what it can do).

If you can try the n6.1 95 next to a PDR. See how it goes. :)

nickarnold2000
04-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Also demo the Becker Pro. It's more arm friendly than the PDR(same head size 100) but its also lighter, 295g unstrung, so lead(I just put some on the throat to keep the original balance) is necessary. I'm coming from the RDS 001 90 and the extra power, spin and forgiveness of the BP is wonderful. I've weighted them up to 345g but will continue tinkering a little.

bluegrasser
04-20-2008, 06:42 AM

J

That would be my suggestion, as the n90/n95 are much closer in personality than the K90/K95 - going to the PDR would be a major change - you'd probably have to change your tech. some.

afroninja92
04-20-2008, 07:01 AM
If you really wanted a PDR you could do a PDC witch is a little lighter and then put some lead on it to make it PDR weight but put it on the handle to make it 9pts hl but i think jolly's solution is prob better