PDA

View Full Version : i feel less than smart lol

zacinnc78
04-20-2008, 04:38 AM
just strung my racket with $35 vs gut ...strung my brothers with $.75 tournament nylon and it was a treat to string and seems like its gonna be a good feeling string and it was cake to string
-my string cant be 50 times better can it?also figure in the headache of stringing gut :confused:
-my wallet hurts lol
-anybody played with and had good results with tourny nylon?in the user comments i dont see much bad said about it except most say its better for big hitters

slice bh compliment
04-20-2008, 04:56 AM
nylon retains tension very poorly and the durability is not that good, but even if it does last for certain players, after the first few hours I think the playability is ust not there.

Gut, I feel is unmatched for spin, response, crisp power and tension maintenance.

If you appreciate gut's advantages, the $35 is worth every penny. If not, the nylon is by far the better value.

afroninja92
04-20-2008, 07:05 AM
you could always try a syn gut for like 3 or 4 dollars...

Zhou
04-20-2008, 07:33 AM
A synthetic gut is not a replacement for trying a set of gut. I mean it is 1 time and it is nice to have the experience to try gut. I did and I loved it just it hit my wallet really hard...

YULitle
04-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Wait a couple days into playing with them. The gut will feel much better in comparison. :D

Zhou
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
The only thing that hurts is if you play a match and lose to someone using tourny nylon...

jazar
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
the nylon will play well for up to about 6 hours, then the tension will drop and it'll play like a dog. natural gut on the other hand, in my opinion, plays better the longer you have it in

slice bh compliment
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
The only thing that hurts is if you play a match and lose to someone using tourny nylon...

You lost to a better player with the cheap strings he probably chose for himself.
Can you only imagine how badly he'd've kicked your butt if he liked gut and had it in his sticks? And if you were the one with the nylon? Ouch.

Anyway, I I have been that guy (better eqt, but there's always someone better out there).

I know I've also been the sparten '3 sticks, a towel and a tenniscan of water' guy beating the dude with the bagful of fresh strings and grips. Y'know, the guy with cheap clothing beating the guy with the head to toe ''outfits''.

In the end, you'd rather be the player, not the poseur.

Better yet, be the hardworking player who makes sound equipment choices. I definitely spend more cash on the best strings, fresh overgrips and two pairs of high-end shoes...rather than blow good money on bags, clothes or logo'd headbands.

BTW, if it means anything, I do gut mains and poly crosses. Leather grips, which last basically forever and a new Wilson pro overgrip every 4 to 6 hours per stick.

Peace.

TennisNewbie85
04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
this is a little off topic, but i have a half set of gut. can i hybrid it with lets say wilson nxt(gut in mains/nxt in crosses) and get the same characteristics of a full gut job?

Zhou
04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
It won't be the same but it is a cheaper alternative than using full gut. Your better off using a synthetic gut as a cross.

0d1n
04-20-2008, 10:56 AM
You lost to a better player with the cheap strings he probably chose for himself.
Can you only imagine how badly he'd've kicked your butt if he liked gut and had it in his sticks? And if you were the one with the nylon? Ouch.

Anyway, I I have been that guy (better eqt, but there's always someone better out there).

I know I've also been the sparten '3 sticks, a towel and a tenniscan of water' guy beating the dude with the bagful of fresh strings and grips. Y'know, the guy with cheap clothing beating the guy with the head to toe ''outfits''.

Better yet, be the hardworking player who makes sound equipment choices. I definitely spend more cash on the best strings, fresh overgrips and two pairs of high-end shoes...rather than blow good money on bags, clothes or logo'd headbands.

BTW, if it means anything, I do gut mains and poly crosses. Leather grips, which last basically forever and a new Wilson pro overgrip every 4 to 6 hours per stick.

Peace.

What poly do you use for the crosses ? Gauges, rackets, tensions (type of machine)??
Details please ... I'm curious by nature ;).

Zhou
04-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Peace.

Just to clarify, I was speaking to him. It has yet to happen to me.

Djokovicfan4life
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
The troubles of stringing gut are more than worth it. Just hit with it, it's unbelievable!

Much better than that fishing line, or whatever you strung on there!

Richie Rich
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
what i've found is that in my racquets (18x20) gut lasts for a very, very long time. and i hit with quite a bit of topspin. gut mains and syn gut cross is very economical too. by the time the gut breaks i would have had strung my racquets with poly 5 times because of the tension loss polys have.