PDA

View Full Version : Is there REALLY a difference?

tennisadd1ct
04-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Is there really a difference between....

nCode and KFactor?

M-Fil and Aerogel?

Flexpoint and Microgel?

I mean there will be a little difference but it there a difference that will play you better? And worth paying more?

Just wondering so yeah. lol

Agent Orynge
04-20-2008, 07:23 AM
I think you've answered your own question. If the differences are that negligible, then it's not worth paying more.

JMS
04-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Some people just like the feel of one over the other.

tennis_guy
04-20-2008, 07:36 AM
The consensus (on TW) is the ncode is better than the Kfactor line. I'm not sure if people generally prefer the Aerogel to the M-fil but I know the majority of people prefer the M-Fil 300 to the Aerogel 300.

LanEvo
04-20-2008, 07:48 AM
i use m-fil 300s they are great

nalk7
04-20-2008, 08:34 AM
The consensus (on TW) is the ncode is better than the Kfactor line. I'm not sure if people generally prefer the Aerogel to the M-fil but I know the majority of people prefer the M-Fil 300 to the Aerogel 300.

It depends... I honestly prefer the k90 over the n90, but then I prefer the n95 over the k95. It's just a matter of taste.

TonyB
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I've read a lot of people saying the same thing... K90 > N90, but N95 > K95.

I have played with the N95 and K95 and I would have to say that I hit better with the N95 for some reason. The feel is very similar, with the K95 being a bit stiffer and more powerful, but for some reason I can swing the N95 a bit faster and my timing is better.

I'd say the N95 offers more touch whereas the K95 offers more punch.

I played with the K90 and loved it. I have not played with the N90, but I don't really see the need.

Flexpoint <<<<< Microgel in my opinion. The Microgel is more muted, but more solid feeling. The Flexpoint is more "raw", but plays just fine. It all depends on what your personal preferences are.

flyer
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
of the mentioned the biggest difference will be the flex point and microgel, still it would be a matter of preference not superiority

[d]ragon
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
^^^agreed. IMO, the flexpoints had a more flexy feel while the microgels hav a crisper feel

meowmix
04-20-2008, 12:36 PM
To put it this way, if I took some specs, used them to create two rackets, one with ncode, one with kfactor, and painted them both black, would you be able to tell which one is which? Similarly, if I took some specs and created a m-fil racket and a aerogel racket, would and painted them pure black, would you be able tell the difference? I'd bet no. It's the specs and points of flex that make a racket, not the tech.

drakulie
04-20-2008, 01:27 PM
The consensus (on TW) is the ncode is better than the Kfactor line.

It's the other way around.

To the OP:

The ncode and kfactor are night and day. They feel completely different. Same goes for the flexpoint and microgel.

nickb
04-20-2008, 01:29 PM

I think most people on here like the N95 better than the K95 and the K90 is preferred to the N90.

z-money
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
yea huge diff

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Look man, it's not going to necessarily be the technology that changes the racquet, but rather than design and construction itself which changes the distribution of mass in the racquet. I doubt the ncoded molecules and the karophite black whatevers make the biggest difference here. It's the amount of mass and here they put it that matters most in my opinion.

The technology is just a way of marketing this different construction. The masses wouldn't have accepted a "New nCode With Different Mass Characteristics," so Wilson came up with this K stuff.

Then again, people did say the N90 felt muted, so that could have been a result of materials. I don't see what was wrong with braided graphite and kevlar personally.

rabidcow
04-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I think the difference between Microgel and Flexpoint is very large, I don't like Wilson rackets so I can't comment there and moth people prefer M-fill 300 over A-gel 300 but the A-gel 200 over the M-fill 200 I believe.

However it boils down to personal preference

tennisadd1ct
04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
alright thanks guys.

SempreSami
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
So many tossing threads about this before ffs.

BreakPoint
04-20-2008, 07:53 PM
To put it this way, if I took some specs, used them to create two rackets, one with ncode, one with kfactor, and painted them both black, would you be able to tell which one is which? Similarly, if I took some specs and created a m-fil racket and a aerogel racket, would and painted them pure black, would you be able tell the difference? I'd bet no. It's the specs and points of flex that make a racket, not the tech.
Most definitely! The K90 and the nCode90 have different feels, mostly because the nCode 90 contains HyperCarbon and is Double Braided, whereas, the K90 does/is not.

user92626
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree with storm, and if I may add. The kfactor line is designed toward the characteristics used by pro's, and every bit counts. So, no doubt the kfactor costs more (part of that goes to pro's for promoting it, doesn't it?).

I wouldn't say the difference between ncode and kfactor is little. Don't you read enough threads in here about folks counting every gram of weight they add/remove and the feels, etc.?

Re "play better", that depends on your level. If you're close to pro level you'd want kfactor with pro's characterists as said above. If you're entry or mid you'd enjoy lightweight ncode ntour as so evident in here. If level and racket are grossly mismatched, you'll likely play like crap. Can you imagine Fed or Djo could win with ntour 95?? (of course, never)

Arbartrator
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
in my comment flexpoints are way stiffer than microgels

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Most definitely! The K90 and the nCode90 have different feels, mostly because the nCode 90 contains HyperCarbon and is Double Braided, whereas, the K90 does/is not.

It could just be that this karophite black was a cheaper way of achieving a particular stiffness to the double braided construction.

Materials obviously do matter, but the first thing you notice when you pick it up is mass, and where that mass is.

user92626
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
It's not just the mass. There's also precision and quality. The other day I checked out two ntour 95's. One said midplus and the other "midsize"!!!!

BreakPoint
04-20-2008, 10:27 PM
It could just be that this karophite black was a cheaper way of achieving a particular stiffness to the double braided construction.

Materials obviously do matter, but the first thing you notice when you pick it up is mass, and where that mass is.
There is no such thing as "Karophite Black". Remember that it was "Karbon Black" at first and then all of a sudden it was "Karophite Black", just because someone sued them for using that name.

The main difference between the nCode 90 and the K90 is that the nCode 90 contained HyperCarbon and was Double Braided (one braid of graphite and another braid of HyperCarbon). This is also what made the nCode 90 stiffer and more head heavy (more HC in the hoop), and thus, more powerful. The K90, in contrast, is more flexible, more headlight, and less powerful (although the more open string pattern may make it feel more powerful).

Gorecki
04-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Flexpoint's are actually Liquidmetals. so should be Microgels vs Liquidmetals.

Salsa_Lover
04-21-2008, 01:23 AM
It depends... I honestly prefer the k90 over the n90, but then I prefer the n95 over the k95. It's just a matter of taste.

Ditto here.

The K90 feels way better than the n90, but the K95 feels harsh in comparison to the n95.