PDA

View Full Version : what happened with the estoril final?

bluescreen
04-20-2008, 07:56 AM
i dont wanna spoil the match for anybody, but for those of u that have been watching the live scores does anybody know what happened? i didnt expect such an abrupt finish to what seemed like a great final.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-20-2008, 07:58 AM
I can't understand the language though:

http://ww1.rtp.pt/multimedia/index.php?tv=4&tipo=ply

rtyd1
04-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Davydenko retired cus of a wrist injury supposedly

bluescreen
04-20-2008, 08:09 AM
wow, that came out of nowhere. i dont remember hearing any mention of a wrist injury in his earlier matches.

sharpblade
04-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Davydenko retired because of a leg injury

Zaragoza
04-20-2008, 08:15 AM

I guess he will withdraw from Monte Carlo since he should play in a couple of days...

bluescreen
04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
u never know with davydenko. my guess is he'll be in monte carlo ready to play.

TheTruth
04-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Davydenko is a joke!

deme08
04-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Davydenko is a joke!

The joke who beat Nadal in Miami final last week! Seriously why can't you people be more compassionate:confused: the man was injured! What if it was you?

tintin
04-20-2008, 08:52 AM
it was really windy out there.Neither Roger or Nikolya played great.
We had more errors then winners;even for a clay court match.
Davydenko had set points but Roger hit an ace and then Kolya went for a forehand that landed at the bottom of the net.
Kolya was down 1-5 in the tb and battled back to tie it at 5 all but Roger played good to finish the set off.
Kolya called for the trainer at the end of the 1st set.

Roger served like chit and Kolya broke him and held his own serve.Roger then held his serve but Kolya called for a trainer again and after that said no mas!
Was it the best final?Not even close but considering the wind throwing the clay in their faces;it could have been uglier.
as for Kolya;I wish him a speedy recovery;he was complaining of a bad wrist all week but it's the leg now
Roger a win is a win but you can do better.

sillymonkey
04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
so, has ND pulled out of MC?

ledor
04-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Davy was betting that Roger would beat him in 75 minutes. So he had to withdraw at 80 min.

Babb
04-20-2008, 09:08 AM
LOL, ledor.

bluedevil
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
so, has ND pulled out of MC?

No, not according to this http://eurosport.yahoo.com/20042008/58/atp-tour-federer-triumphs-estoril.html

BreakPoint
04-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Hmmmm....sure sounds familiar.

The ITF and ATP must be investigating all the betting patterns on this match.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
This could have been a classic match. What a waste. Curse Davydenko's brittle Siberian ligaments.

pound cat
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Here's what he said accdg to Eurosport.

"I'm sorry about what happened today," the 2003 champion Davydenko told a packed stadium in centre court at the Estoril Open. "You know, I have some leg injury and I can't finish the match.

"SORRY GUYS."

Sorry guys????????

Oh, please Nikolai. This takes the cake for feeble apologies to fans who payed a huge amount of money to see a set of tennis. Next time they're all going to stay home and watch the final on TV. And why I only go to the first 4 days of a tournament.

Lionheart
04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
A set of tennis?
Everyone could have seen the Doubles Final and the Womenīs Final, two good matches, those who only went to see the mens final are dumb, plain and simple.

pound cat
04-20-2008, 02:21 PM
A set of tennis?
Everyone could have seen the Doubles Final and the Womenīs Final, two good matches, those who only went to see the mens final are dumb, plain and simple.

These tickets are booked months ahead & it's NOT the fault of the fans and most poeple can only afford to see ONE final and men's doubles is just tagged a long with the men's final. Women play the day before. Put the blame where it belongs, not on fans.

PS I don't think you have ever been to a tennis tournament judging from your comments.

daddy
04-20-2008, 02:31 PM
These tickets are booked months ahead & it's NOT the fault of the fans and most poeple can only afford to see ONE final and men's doubles is just tagged a long with the men's final. Women play the day before. Put the blame where it belongs, not on fans.

PS I don't think you have ever been to a tennis tournament judging from your comments.

He is a teenager but he surely has been to this one. He posted a ton of pictures in the Estoril Pic Thread. Btw for the sake of argument, Lionheart how much were the tickets ?

Lionheart
04-20-2008, 02:36 PM

actually Iīve been to Estoril every day two years running and 2 days in 2005/2006.

Itīs not the fans fault, I agree with you, but if you want to maximize what you spend on a ticket that isnīt cheap you should see every match and believe me Iīm sick of seeing people buying a 60 euros ticket and only watch a single match! thatīs one third of what my weekly ticket costs.

And the Womenīs final was on the same day as the menīs, itīs like this every year.

edit: the weekly ticket costs 150 euros, it has a discount for every day, my ticket for today would cost something like 60 euros if I hadnīt bought with the discount.

60 euros for a 1 match is too much when you can watch 2 more matches and thatīs my point, 80 % of those who went to see the menīs final didnīt even watch the other matches because they simply couldnīt care for more tennis....dumb if you ask me

edit 2: you guys should see the centre court on the womenīs final, half empty, but hey, those who went to watch the menīs could have watched the womenīs too, and the doubles, which wasnīt full as well and it was a great match. I go there as a tennis fan to watch tennis, and I did all week, couldnīt care less for people who donīt know how to choose when and how they could watch good tennis. Davydenko has all the right to forfeit, why should he risk his health if he doesnīt feel alright? Remember that tennis is their job not an hobbie, they canīt risk a serious injury on a small tournament.

Nadal_Freak
04-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Davydenko retired because he was tired. Simple as that. He wanted to save it for Monte Carlo.

TheTruth
04-20-2008, 03:26 PM
The joke who beat Nadal in Miami final last week! Seriously why can't you people be more compassionate:confused: the man was injured! What if it was you?

Cause I don't believe it. Do you mind?

Nadal_Freak
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Cause I don't believe it. Do you mind?
Don't let deme08 get under your skin. He is a classic troll. Kinda like ninman.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Davydenko retired because he was tired. Simple as that. He wanted to save it for Monte Carlo.

No, you're the troll. Davydenko got hurt. What evidence do you have that he faked it? None.

He's not going to quite in the middle of a final because he's tired. I don't see why you people attack him. Too bad for the fans, but this guy has a career. Injuries can be a big deal. Would you rather he played the match and hurt himself seriously? Perhaps so.

Nadal_Freak
04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
No, you're the troll. Davydenko got hurt. What evidence do you have that he faked it? None.

He's not going to quite in the middle of a final because he's tired. I don't see why you people attack him. Too bad for the fans, but this guy has a career. Injuries can be a big deal. Would you rather he played the match and hurt himself seriously? Perhaps so.
He was looking out for himself. Monte Carlo is way higher on the priority list than Estoril as he would have to win it in 3 exhausting sets. Yes I can see why he lied. He will be just fine in Monte Carlo. Wait and see.

TheTruth
04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't let deme08 get under your skin. He is a classic troll. Kinda like ninman.

Deme08 or ninman, or anyone else doesn't get under my skin. I see this as a public board where everyone can spout their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. If there are things I agree with anyone about I will say so. I do not hold posting battles with other posters about their opinion, so they're all alright with me!

tennis_hand
04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
It seems any version of explanation here is correct and better, except the one given by Davydenko.

Fedace
04-20-2008, 06:12 PM

I do have to wonder though. If the injury was more than minor, then how can he possibly go right over to monte carlo and play. and if the injury is just a minor one, then why can't he just finish out the match, knowing this is the Final and many people are watching ?? This is just very strange behavior from a player that has been playing in the Tour for many years. I would understand this if it was 1st or 2nd round but in the Finals ?? :twisted:

akv89
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I generally don't distrust a player's words unless there is a clear reason to do so. Considering the injury timeouts that Davydenko took previously and the fact that he was up a break in the second set before retiring leads me to believe that he was having problems.
And if it is a leg problem like a pulled hamstring, it would be impossible for him to continue playing at a decent level. Also, its definitely not unheard of to get over a pulled muscle in a day or two so him not pulling out of Monte Carlo is not indicative of the severity of his injury.
It seems to me that a lot of people are displeased with Davydenko retiring because of who won the match as a result. Giving well supported opinions on a public board is fine, but making claims without any backing is slander. I hope some posters here can realize that.

Leublu tennis
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
This could have been a classic match. What a waste. Curse Davydenko's brittle Siberian ligaments.
Ukrainian. Siberians are tough.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I do have to wonder though. If the injury was more than minor, then how can he possibly go right over to monte carlo and play. and if the injury is just a minor one, then why can't he just finish out the match, knowing this is the Final and many people are watching ?? This is just very strange behavior from a player that has been playing in the Tour for many years. I would understand this if it was 1st or 2nd round but in the Finals ?? :twisted:

Well I don't know if it was major or minor. He could have decided not to turn a minor problem into a major problem by continuing play considering he has bigger tournaments to play soon. But was he faking? Surely not.

DJG
04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Hmmmm....sure sounds familiar.

The ITF and ATP must be investigating all the betting patterns on this match.

Not really. I was betting on the match in-running, no funny amounts of money came in at any point in time, neither were there funny (against the flow of the match) odds movements. Looked very normal, run of the mill.

In essence "they" didn't know it was going to happen.

PS: I have been burned before on these retirements, most notably on the match that lead to the investigation, so I'm quite familiar with what "looks wrong". :)

caulcano
04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
I guess he will withdraw from Monte Carlo since he should play in a couple of days...

Federer & Davydenko are colluding to accelerate the downfall of Nadal on clay this season! :)

coloskier
04-21-2008, 06:01 AM
I guess the russian mob stood to make more money this week if Davydenko retired. Of course, if a player retires all bets are cancelled. What is it with these European players retiring in the middle of a match, or not playing an important match and instead playing a dead rubber? Nadal is the one european that has some stones. He plays even if he is injured.

No comment about Roddick and Blake avoiding the european clay circuit. They are just as bad.

coloskier
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Not really. I was betting on the match in-running, no funny amounts of money came in at any point in time, neither were there funny (against the flow of the match) odds movements. Looked very normal, run of the mill.

In essence "they" didn't know it was going to happen.

PS: I have been burned before on these retirements, most notably on the match that lead to the investigation, so I'm quite familiar with what "looks wrong". :)

It wouldn't have mattered. Once Davy retired, all bets are cancelled, aren't they? If not, they should be. That would solve a lot of the problem.

Zaragoza
04-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Davydenko looks recovered from his leg injury or whatever it was.