PDA

View Full Version : Good replacement for VS 17g gut in a hybrid

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Ok, so I just recently got my racket strung with luxilon alu power rough mains, and vs gut 17g crosses. It is the best setup Iv'e ever had in my racket, and I want to keep as close to the same string performance/feel.

The problem is I played a match yesterday and went to hit for 1 hour today and I am already starting to see some fraying (mind you it's relatively small). I never thought of myself as a string breaker, but then again, I don't think I've ever had natural gut in my racket before. But anyways I can't afford to get it strung all the time.

So my question is, what string can give me the same spin/feel as the gut, with more durability? I have been thinking about going with a 15Lg natural gut, how much more durable is this and how much performance will be taken away compared to the 17g?

ambro
04-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Go with Klip Legend gut 16g. It is $9 cheaper, and will last longer than VS, albeit it is a bit stiffer. Otherwise, you may be able to stay with your VS Team 17g because a bit of fraying is expected with gut early on. Fraying does not necessarily indicate durability problems, it is just a fact of natural gut. Even when badly frayed, especially as a cross, gut will stay intact for quite some time and will perform just as good as the first day you strung it.

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks, I may just need to see if this stuff will last, Ive always associated fraying with the fact that it will break in 1-2 days of playing.

0d1n
04-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Your luxilon from the mains will die long before the gut breaks.

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 10:18 AM
what do you mean by die?

Stan
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
In other words, for recreational players, the hybrid you are using does not have longevity. The gut fraying is the least of your worries because the playability of the Luxilon will fade well before you will be able to break the gut crosses. A very expensive hybrid for recreational players given the relatively short life.

Alternative suggestion: WeissCannon Silverstring mains with Ektelon PowerPlay crosses. Will save you money and will hold playability much longer than your setup.

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
well then what are some strings that have just as much spin and don't "die"

[d]ragon
04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
^^^^gut is the only string that doesnt die

rabidcow
04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Gut frays fast but stays long, play it out and see how long it lasts, my bet is it will last longer than you expect

ClubHoUno
04-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately all Multifilament strings will die faster playability, durability and tension wise before natural gut will.

I use Babolat string savers in my natural gut hybrid setup - I have Babolat VS Natural Thermogut 16 Touch in my crosses and WeissCanon Silverstring 1.20 in the mains. This setup is the best I've ever had. I used to use Luxilon BB ALU POwer Spin 16 in the mains, but found that the Weisscanon Silversgtring 1.20 is better in every possible way :D

The use of Babolat string savers gives me 50% extra life of my natural gut setup - so I can play 10-12 hours before the natural gut breaks. The Weiss Canon Silverstring begings to go dead at about that time, the Luxilon string I used before the Weisscanon Silverstring felt dead after just 2-3 hours of play.
I have 64-72 Babolat stringsavers installed in a ZIG ZAG pattern in all my rackets and this really add to the durability of my string setup - so to get additional life out of your natural gut string, use Babolat string savers. BTW, Pete Sampras used to say that he loved his natural gut strings more and more the more they started to fray. Natural gut will fray and the gut string will play better and better until the string breaks. This is why, you can't play with anything better, that has better durability than natural gut.

Nothing will match the characteristics of natural gut, no multifilament comes even close. Multifilament goes dead after 3-4-5 hours of play. Natural gut does not. You can keep on playing with natural gut until it breaks, and the best feel of the natural gut will be the second before the natural gut string breaks.
No poly, multi, kevlar or synth gut have these characteristics.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Try Klip Legend 17 or even 18.

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 12:43 PM
why, are these more durable?

Djokovicfan4life
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Just try 16g, don't change your setup TOO much if you like the feel.