PDA

View Full Version : Discontinue the POG???

ynot101
04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I'am hearing rumors from every where that prince is going to discontinue the POG??
Is this even possible??

herosol
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
its possible.
the image is too old, and its legendary characteristics are not seen by the new generation of young players.

and i wouldn't even care if i was not a racket junky.
the point is, that it doesn't have the paintjob to attract any new generation of players.

that's why there's going to be Prince Graphite Speedport. It has all the new designs, and idea, while incorporating some older stuff.

it's about selling to majority not the minority.

baek57
04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
sucks dont it... they arent going to manufacture a particular racquet forever, gonna happen sooner or later.

MichaelChang
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
really? I don't want to stack it up now if it is not for real.

lethalfang
04-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Uh-oh. Time to stock up..... :-o

bluetrain4
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised that Prince doesn't update the POG. They have to keep some non-Oport, non-Speedport racquets in their lineups, don't you think?

In 5 years Speedport technology won't be that innovative anymore.

But, I can see them re-releasing the non-speedport POG down the road when they decide to make regular grommet frames again, and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

obnoxious2
04-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Someone show me where I can find a POG longbody new in either 1/4 or 3/8 grip.

tenniscore
04-20-2008, 03:33 PM
It sounds like the speedport graphite is going to be the exact same specs as the original graphite which i am definitely excited about - is that for 2008 does anyone know? i would be surpirsed if they discontinue the POG completely - but the new Speedphite or whatever its called is going to be an awesome update if they keep the same specs, headsize and weight of the orig.

BreakPtSi
04-20-2008, 04:30 PM
its possible.
the image is too old, and its legendary characteristics are not seen by the new generation of young players.

and i wouldn't even care if i was not a racket junky.
the point is, that it doesn't have the paintjob to attract any new generation of players.

that's why there's going to be Prince Graphite Speedport. It has all the new designs, and idea, while incorporating some older stuff.

it's about selling to majority not the minority.

I agree fully. As a 17 year old player, I wouldn't be caught dead with a racquet advertising its age with "original" in its very name. For me, it's about finding the sticks with looks I like, then finding the one of those that plays the best.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Better stock up. I wish I bought more PS85 or Classic 600 back then. And the PS85 was not that long ago.

CyberInferno
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree fully. As a 17 year old player, I wouldn't be caught dead with a racquet advertising its age with "original" in its very name. For me, it's about finding the sticks with looks I like, then finding the one of those that plays the best.
I would say that's immature of you, but I think many people much older than you subscribe to the same philosophy. Though looks are far from my number one concern with a racket, if I have two sticks that I like equally, I'm going to go with price then looks as ways to separate them.

saxon
04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
HAHA had to think about it for a second, prince original graphite lol. ya these are nice rackets. personaly the paint ain't all i think about as a 17 year old player. before i broke it my primary stick was i ps95

SempreSami
04-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Is he 'avin a laff?

superstition
04-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Just because Wilson discontinued the PS 6.0 doesn't mean Prince feels any need to discontinue its latest version of the Graphite.

obnoxious2
04-20-2008, 05:29 PM
It sounds like the speedport graphite is going to be the exact same specs as the original graphite which i am definitely excited about - is that for 2008 does anyone know? i would be surpirsed if they discontinue the POG completely - but the new Speedphite or whatever its called is going to be an awesome update if they keep the same specs, headsize and weight of the orig.

Where are you getting your info on the new POG? I really want to read about the replacement. Really wish they wouldn't discontinue the POG but instead just release "new POG". IMO, it's a bad business decision. The product is in it's declining stage and the best thing to do is to milk the market given that theres still demand for these flexible frames.

Al Czervik
04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Where are you getting your info on the new POG? I really want to read about the replacement. Really wish they wouldn't discontinue the POG but instead just release "new POG". IMO, it's a bad business decision. The product is in it's declining stage and the best thing to do is to milk the market given that theres still demand for these flexible frames.

I think a lot of this talk about POG being discontinued is overstated. People spotted a few pics of guys at Indian Wells and I think P-Mac at Davis Cup using some Prince model with a crossbar, some in orange colors, that didn't happen to be a POG. This led to discussion about how it must be some new POG replacement.

obnoxious2
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I think a lot of this talk about POG being discontinued is overstated. People spotted a few pics of guys at Indian Wells and I think P-Mac at Davis Cup using some Prince model with a crossbar, some in orange colors, that didn't happen to be a POG. This led to discussion about how it must be some new POG replacement.

Actually it's true the POG is going to be discontinued. I was going to be a POG Longbody 2 days ago but they didn't have my grip size. So I emailed them and TW told me they have discontinued the stick.

superstition
04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The longbody is not the main racquet. The OS is the one that's least likely to be discontinued.

BreakPtSi
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I would say that's immature of you, but I think many people much older than you subscribe to the same philosophy. Though looks are far from my number one concern with a racket, if I have two sticks that I like equally, I'm going to go with price then looks as ways to separate them.

I think my point was missed, but wasn't made very clearly in the first place. I'll try again. There are a lot of great racquets with great looks to choose from, so why not pick from them, eliminating those that you don't fancy as much? Besides, who has the chance to demo every single racquet? You need to make some initial cuts somewhere.

pr0n8r
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I truly hope they don't discontinue the POG mid. I'd be fine with a new PJ, but I really don't want speedports. I hate that Prince has to have speedports on every frame. How can they not understand that not everyone wants that "upgrade."

Not that I don't like the way the frame looks now. When I see a player in a tournament that's using a tried and true stick, I know not to underestimate that player.

The POG has that, "I'm a badass, and of course I play with the Original G." quality to it. Like if someone asked Samuel L. Jackson as Jules what racket he plays with, I imagine him responding "It's the one that says Bad Motherf*****.... The POG." Everything else is just imitating.

So, Prince, FFS, don't discontinue the POG.

Alafter
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
There is a rumor that George Bush is an alien!

I heard it from "someone"! I swear it!

CyberInferno
04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I truly hope they don't discontinue the POG mid. I'd be fine with a new PJ, but I really don't want speedports. I hate that Prince has to have speedports on every frame. How can they not understand that not everyone wants that "upgrade."

Not that I don't like the way the frame looks now. When I see a player in a tournament that's using a tried and true stick, I know not to underestimate that player.

The POG has that, "I'm a badass, and of course I play with the Original G." quality to it. Like if someone asked Samuel L. Jackson as Jules what racket he plays with, I imagine him responding "It's the one that says Bad Motherf*****.... The POG." Everything else is just imitating.

So, Prince, FFS, don't discontinue the POG.
Some of their rackets also come with inserts that have normal grommets though. Granted, I've never had to string one with them in since we only have one demo and that demo doesn't utilize them. People like it strung like the demo.

DJG
04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
It sounds like the speedport graphite is going to be the exact same specs as the original graphite which i am definitely excited about - is that for 2008 does anyone know?

I haven't hear the rumour about the POG being discontinued myself. However, I know the SP POG should be out by Oct/Nov this year.

pr0n8r
04-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Some of their rackets also come with inserts that have normal grommets though. Granted, I've never had to string one with them in since we only have one demo and that demo doesn't utilize them. People like it strung like the demo.
I have tried their Black and Tour with those normal grommet inserts, and I didn't like the feel of either of them. I can't help but to fault the speedports. I don't care for the, uh, increased aerodynamics, and the sound it makes. If every Prince has speedports, I'll probably switch to the Head MG Prestige Mid, which has POG Mid type specs.