PDA

View Full Version : quality control for new microgel bats

mattyc
04-20-2008, 01:36 PM
my new racquets came through today, I just thought it might be worth mentioning that for the first time ever in my life all 6 of my bats are no more than 1g out from each other.

I cannot get over this as especially with head racquets, the variances are at times frightening. I am not sure if this is down to some decent quality control at last or just a massive fluke.

has anyone else noticed this with their microgel bats?

meowmix
04-20-2008, 01:42 PM
You just came from your LM Radicals leaded up to an insane amount right?

Not that it has anything to do with the post, but how much did those vary? It could be that you got very lucky, or it could be because of where you ordered them.

It does seem that there haven't been any complaints as of late about microgel rackets' quality control. The most I've seen one differ from spec is 3 or 4 grams, which isn't much.

Jonas
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
my new racquets came through today, I just thought it might be worth mentioning that for the first time ever in my life all 6 of my bats are no more than 1g out from each other.

I cannot get over this as especially with head racquets, the variances are at times frightening. I am not sure if this is down to some decent quality control at last or just a massive fluke.

has anyone else noticed this with their microgel bats?

Mattyc,
If you do't mind...which frames did you get?
rgds

Voltron
04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
My three FXP Prestiges were all within 1 gram of each other as well, so I'm to too surprised.

mattyc
04-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Mattyc,
If you do't mind...which frames did you get?
rgds

i went for the prestige pro in the end.

for the record:

I personally feel it is the perfect bat for today's game. I used to have terms with prince and played with the diablo mid. This has a very open string pattern combined with great heft and super thin beam.

As some of you know I temporarily switched to the lm radical severly customised with caps and weight in all sorts of places etc whilst waiting for my prestiges to come through.

There have been some reports that is has a low swing weight etc etc, but with a modest amount of lead, this can be changed and i strongly recommend it. In my opinion you get the best of both worlds with a relatively thin beam and decent heft but with the open string pattern to enable extra work on the ball. Before those people that have slated the prestige pro completely forget about it, i urge you to play with a full poly string job. it plays completely differently to even a hybrid for the better.

I am a fan of both open and tight patterns, but open patterns make life so much easier to drill the ball well for 30 shots on slow surfaces, which for me seem to be a majority of the tournaments I play.

peace!

mattyc
04-20-2008, 02:50 PM
You just came from your LM Radicals leaded up to an insane amount right?

Not that it has anything to do with the post, but how much did those vary? It could be that you got very lucky, or it could be because of where you ordered them.

It does seem that there haven't been any complaints as of late about microgel rackets' quality control. The most I've seen one differ from spec is 3 or 4 grams, which isn't much.

Head sent me the bats as I have terms with them.

lm radicals varied by 12g from lightest to heaviest and by 1pt in head lightness

TnTBigman
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
well if you're getting them from HEADquaters, I don't think they just randomly choose racquets for their sponsored players. When ever you play tournies.....you're their representative.

bcast66
04-20-2008, 06:05 PM
well i get myn directly from head and well... they are all the same weight and balance.

Bartelby
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, but why are the swingweights so low. The mid is pretty consistently reported in the high 320s, but the other two have had numbers reported in the low 300s strung. This is a major problem?

ftaba1
04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I've had similar experience with MG Radicals MP. I demoed one about a month ago, then bought one new from RPNY and one used from TW forum. All three were within 0.1 oz and the same balance. After playing with Wilsons for a while and never seeing two racquets that were even close in weight and balance, I was pleasantly surprised by Head's quality control!

Anton

tennisbug
04-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Agree. speaking from my own experience, 6 months ago, i bought a MG radical mp, it was noticeably shorter than 27 inches, (there was a post talking about this issue). 2 months ago, i smashed it out of frustration during a match, the racket cracked. I thought I'd try my luck and sent the racket to the local pro shop where I bought it from. Head was suprisingly generous, they replaced it with a brand new one, and this time, it's the standard length!

Blade0324
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I have 3 MGPP's that were actually purchased in 3 different locations, it's tough to find 1/4 grips in this frame in my area, and all are within 2g or each other and the balance is the same on them. Since then I have customized with Wilson Pallets from RPNY, leather grips and silicon in the handle so they are now all matched and weigh 354 strung and are 2pts. more HL than stock. I couldn't be happier with them.