PDA

View Full Version : Good string for me?

In)SpiRe
04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I know I've made like 123535454123 thread abt which strings to get, and I'm still testing strings out, I've tested alot and have gotten to know what I look for in a string and which strings haven't given me what I need. Basically here is my string history:
SPPP 1.18- Too soft, a decent poly but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Gave decent spin decent control, decent touch, etc... didn't really stand out and the fact that it was so soft made it worse, I strung it up tight too, and it still felt to flexy and mushy.
Wilson Extreme Synthetic Gut- Good when strung up tight, for the first hour..... after that golden hour this stuff is too dead for me as I'm a hard hitter.
Blue Gear- Using this stuff ATM and I hate it. Good spin but nothing else that is actually enjoyable. Horrible stuff.
Big Ace- This was actually a good poly, but yet again it was too soft, maybe with a decent crisp cross string this would be good.
Kirchbaum Competition- Didn't get a real extensive use of it, but I tried it in my friend's NBlade [I gave him the Competition to try out] Horrible, Dead, Nasty, I don't suggest it to anyone unless you like a dead feeling. But this is my opinion, as I'm pretty sure many others enjoyed this string. Maybe if my friend strung it up tighter it would've beena different story.
PHT- This was a good string IMO. Gave good play in all aspects and was enjoyable while I used it. Tension Maintinence was horrible though, went dead way faster than I would've thought.
Some golden string[guessing it was PSGD? or Forten Sweet, I'm not too sure but I'm leaning along the PSGD side]- This was exactly like it looked. Golden. This was one of the crispest strings I have used which is why I loved the string so much. It gave excellent pop, and control was decent as well. It gave good overall playability and I enjoyed every minuted of it..... till I broke it. Only lasted me..... a few hours? At best.
Topspin CyberFlash- Excellent string. Gave good control, power, spin, tension maininence, and playability. Played some of my best tennis with this a few months back.
Wilson Stamina- Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Don't wanna buy anymore or use this stuff anymore, though.

Heres what I'm looking for: Crisp/Pop- This is what I look for most. I love playing with a crisp string and when I know that I love my equipment, I play better. This is definitely a must.
Control/Spin- I'm a flat hitter using a dense 18x20 string pattern. Power is not an issue, but control is. I'm not a person who relies solely on placement[I'm working on it :/] but rather power and big hitting, and net games to take control and end points. So I'm looking for something with the characteristics of a poly/co-poly that'll help me with control[I have the batspeed, and yes despite all I said, I DO try to control the ball and aim and I can control the direction in which I hit] and looking for that extra spin to make balls that go out, spin and drop in.
Tension Maintinence- I hate it when strings go dead, despite that fact that I only play with poly, maybe a hybrid would benefit me?
Durability- Not looking for strings that are prone to breaking fast, but I don't need something super durable like kevlar. Poly is good enough as that lasts me longer than usual synthetic gut.
Power- Not needed but if it is a characteristic of the string, I guess thats an extra bonus.

IMO, I'm thinking about a hybrid with poly/co-poly mains and synthetic gut crosses. But I have no idea where to start.

Any comments, suggestions, etc... will be greatly appreciated!

Djokovicfan4life
04-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd try some form of natural gut if I were you. If you're looking for crispness then a lot of people on here say that Klip is the best. I wouldn't know, I prefer VS.

Best of luck!

In)SpiRe
04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd try some form of natural gut if I were you. If you're looking for crispness then a lot of people on here say that Klip is the best. I wouldn't know, I prefer VS.

Best of luck!

Hmmm, Nat Gut is a little above the amount I would like to pay ATM.

I'm thinking about doing something along the line of CyberFlash/Pro Red Code Mains and PSGD/Gosen OG Crosses. Anyone suggest these?

Hewitt Aussie
04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Luxilon BB Rough, it is rougher than many poly's that you said were too soft.

In)SpiRe
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Luxilon BB Rough, it is rougher than many poly's that you said were too soft.

Actually I have a set that i haven't tried yet. But I'm looking for something a little less expensive for a reel, as I'm going to be buying a reel of the strings that i find to have the best playing characteristics.

nickb
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Topspin CyberFlash- Excellent string. Gave good control, power, spin, tension maininence, and playability.

Why not use CyberFlash then?

In)SpiRe
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Theres just something about it that keeps me from using it as a full job :-|.

ARNICOLINI
04-21-2008, 03:11 AM
You might try the SPPP in the thicker guage. My experience is the thicker SPPP is not nearly as soft as the 1.18. Which for me is bad because I like the soft feel of the 1.18.

Might try Babolat Ballistic Polymono - it was way to crisp for me.

You might try the Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 - it is nice and crisp as well.

knasty131
04-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey, I recommend trying out cyberflash at a lower tension. You have seen me play and I string anywhere from 56-58 with a full cyberflash job. Don't be afraid to string looser, there is this thought that the tighter you go, the more control and if you loosen it up there is no control...don't get stuck in that mindset or you may not actually ever find your "right" setup

hoodjem
04-21-2008, 07:40 AM

I think CF too. Here's what wrote about CF on another thread--

I just had a hit with newly strung CF 1.20 mains and Forten Sweet crosses: 58/61.

I was pleasantly surprised: nice and crisp with very good feel. Not quite as "zingy" as I like--having more of a "crack" sound. But lots of control and surprising pop. I may be onto something here.

I tried CF and Gosen Micro, and I think this felt even better--not as hard. (I did have CF/Gosen Micro strung tighter, so that might explain it.) I also tried SPPP with Forten Sweet, and it was mush.

Tension matters a lot--too tight and it feels like a board, too loose and it's all over the place.

In)SpiRe
04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey, I recommend trying out cyberflash at a lower tension. You have seen me play and I string anywhere from 56-58 with a full cyberflash job. Don't be afraid to string looser, there is this thought that the tighter you go, the more control and if you loosen it up there is no control...don't get stuck in that mindset or you may not actually ever find your "right" setup

Well, I have one set left, but I'm also getting some PSGD. I was thinking of doing a hybrid of it. What do you suggest? A full job of Cyberflash, or a hybrid of Cyberflash/PSGD[I was thinking of doing it 57/55 lbs either way].