PDA

View Full Version : POG's stiffness finally getting to me???

BkK_b0y14
04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
As many of you may know, I've been playing with the POG's for about 2 years now. And I am currently playing the best tennis of my life. However, now I am starting to feel arm pain especially in my right bicep and forearm, and I just get this feeling that it's probably from the stiffness of the frame. I have never experienced this pain before when I have been using this. It's weird because my strokes are more developed and fluid than before and I've been hitting the ball very crisply. My footwork has also improved a lot. The strings have been on the frame for only a few weeks too. So I don't know what it is...

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Are you playing more frequently than you were when you began using them?

If not, then the stiffness may be affecting you. I played with the Wilson K90 for a year, until it gave me the same type of arm troubles you are currently experiencing. In order to resolve the issue, I laid off of tennis for a few weeks and applied the standard RICE method of rehabilitation.

R - rest
I - ice
C - compression
E - elevate

I also switched to a flexier frame. My arm pains have not returned.

Good luck.

BkK_b0y14
04-20-2008, 03:25 PM
i'm playing about the same amount of tennis that i used to.

superstition
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
As many of you may know, I've been playing with the POG's for about 2 years now. And I am currently playing the best tennis of my life. However, now I am starting to feel arm pain especially in my right bicep and forearm, and I just get this feeling that it's probably from the stiffness of the frame. I have never experienced this pain before when I have been using this. It's weird because my strokes are more developed and fluid than before and I've been hitting the ball very crisply. My footwork has also improved a lot. The strings have been on the frame for only a few weeks too. So I don't know what it is...
Try a softer string, like natural gut, or reduce your string tension. String type and tension are critical regarding pain.

BkK_b0y14
04-20-2008, 04:05 PM
yeah but guts kinda expensive and I usually bulk up on strings. I dont string higher than 55 on any of my rackets. How 'bout multis and synthetics? The only reason I use poly is because I break synthetics and poly-synthetic hybrids easily.

markwillplay
04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
you are probably playing a newer mid and that ate my arm up. Poly also eats my arm up at too high a tension in the OS that I play with. I recommend stringing with a soft multy at a little lower tension (especially if using the mid). If it is an OS, Try something like NRG2 in the low 60's and you should see a difference in a few days actually., It was that drastic for me anyway. I think I could stand a poly hybrid in my POG OS but I know now that I would not string it above 60. I had a VS gut /hurricane hybrid in it at 62 and it still gave me fits after a few matches.

NLBwell
04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Bkk - I'm assuming you are using a mid.?? 55 in an all poly is pretty stiff, equivalent to 61 in nylon. I string my SPPPPure or Cyberpower hybrids with soft multi crosses at 52lbs. My arm will tolerate it, but it is much happier with a multi at 57 or 58. Yes, it will go through the multis very quickly, which is why I string 1 or 2 rackets up with the hybrid.

roundiesee
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
BkK, from your story, it's likely that your poly strings strung at 55pounds may have caused your arm pain. Perhaps consider switching to a softer string like some of the board members have suggested. Also, take note of Klatu's advice, ie, RICE treatment and possibly refrain from playing till the pain subsides. Good luck!
BTW Klatu- which racket are you using now (if you have switched from the K90)? Thanks.

ohhgourami
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
the same thing has happened to me with my k95 after i tried out ALU POWER @ 57lbs. my pain was mainly from my nerves. that has gone away after a week of rest, but after trying to blast some bombs, im experiencing a different pain but im using a different string (silverstring @53lbs). im trying to lay off tennis for a few weeks but these are my last 2 weeks of tennis season. its a hard decision!

BkK_b0y14
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
any string suggestions? I'm kinda worried that I might break multis quite easily...any softer poly's? SPPP was supposed to be kinda soft..

roundiesee
04-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Try getting in touch with Jonolau; he's very knowledgeable with strings and setup, and generally gives good advice. I think "big ace" has been known to be softer although I have personally never used it. If you still have to use poly, try going lower with the tension. Good luck!

nickb
04-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Big Banger Original + (stiff) Midsize head + 55lbs = arm pain

BB Original is a very stiff string....try full multi , a multi cross or something softer like topspin cyberpower or big ace.

Nick

pr0n8r
04-21-2008, 05:14 AM
I just put my first set of Cyber Power (full job) in one of my POG mid's at 54, and it doesn't feel too harsh at all. I'm ordering a few more sets today. It's a really nice string.

BkK_b0y14
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Big Banger Original + (stiff) Midsize head + 55lbs = arm pain

BB Original is a very stiff string....try full multi , a multi cross or something softer like topspin cyberpower or big ace.

Nick

where can i get a hold of some big ace? You're talking about the Pro Supex and not the Luxilon Big Ace right?

What are some of your guys' opinions on strings such as Gamma Asterisk, Livewire/XP, and X-One Biphase?

Rabbit
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Try a poly mains with a multi cross, something like NRG from Tecnifibre or even Alpha Gut 2000. You'll soften up the string job a little and probably see more comfort.

If that fails, try a stiffer multi like LaserFibre Supreme. It's fairly durable and if you want to help that out, use string savers.

nickb
04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
where can i get a hold of some big ace? You're talking about the Pro Supex and not the Luxilon Big Ace right?

What are some of your guys' opinions on strings such as Gamma Asterisk, Livewire/XP, and X-One Biphase?

Yep Pro Supex Big Ace.

Nick

BkK_b0y14
04-22-2008, 04:27 PM
yeah, I see a lot of people using Pro Supex, but where can I buy some? Is there a special retailer or something?

jonolau
06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
yeah, I see a lot of people using Pro Supex, but where can I buy some? Is there a special retailer or something?

Contact me by email.

TripleB
06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Try Kirschbaum Super Smash 17g mains and Gosen Jim Courier 16g crosses.

TripleB

tennisguy7482
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
any string suggestions? I'm kinda worried that I might break multis quite easily...any softer poly's? SPPP was supposed to be kinda soft..

luxilon alu power fluoro.....bingo

BkK_b0y14
06-08-2008, 03:52 PM
is it really worth the $17? Can pretty much buy some Klip Gut..