PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions

MPfromNY07
04-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey all,
I am a 4.5 or 5.0 player playing division 1 college tennis. I am looking for a new stick, i currently play with head LM Rad. MP, but I am looking for a racquet similar to the non cortex babolat pure drives. I want a control racquet with a fairly thin beam setup, but that adds enough power to keep the ball deep. I am an agressive baseline/all court player who also counter-punches (NOT PUSHES!) any suggestions would be great

HeadPrestige
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
there are plenty of rackets that fit into that category... i would just demo any thin beamed, fairly heavy players sticks... and pick which one you like.

Also.... a 4.5 player on a d1 team? are you actually starting or just a walk on?

MPfromNY07
04-21-2008, 06:30 AM
im actually rated a 5.0+, and yeah I play #3 singles as a freshy

staTennis
04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Honestly I know alot of very good players who prefer the LM radical. If you are looking for a little more pop, I honestly wouldn't change to babolat because the differences are very great from a head player's frame to a Babolat players frame. The FXP radical tour has an open pattern, a little more pop and a little more heft than the LM radicals so perhaps you could look there, or the Microgel Prestige Pro which also has an open pattern and a thin beam with heft.

bcast66
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Honestly I know alot of very good players who prefer the LM radical. If you are looking for a little more pop, I honestly wouldn't change to babolat because the differences are very great from a head player's frame to a Babolat players frame. The FXP radical tour has an open pattern, a little more pop and a little more heft than the LM radicals so perhaps you could look there, or the Microgel Prestige Pro which also has an open pattern and a thin beam with heft.

22mm beam is not thin at all. i consider 19 below a thin beam. try the babolat pure storm limited edition that comes out in 2 weeks or so. try out the prestige mid and wilson kblade 98.

MPfromNY07
04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
thanks for the suggestions! I was also considering a FXP Prestige MP XL. What you think?

TTECHH
04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
thanks for the suggestions! I was also considering a FXP Prestige MP XL. What you think?

MP, I was looking for the same benefits that you where and demoed quite a few rackets including the KBlade 98 and both of the new Storm models. In the end, someone talked me into demoing the Prince SpeedPort Tour and I ended up with that one. I would give it a shot if you have access to demos...the cool thing is, I am still playing with the string inserts and trying to get just the right feel. It seems to be fairly string tension sensitive however, so I am also trying to get the best tension.

TTECHH

MPfromNY07
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks TT I appreciate it. ive gone through quite a few racquets in juniors, babo PD, LM, all types of Head racq., and the one I enjoy the most is the FXP Prestige M+, but the thing is I am not getting the adequate power and depth. I will look into the Speedport tour for sure

TTECHH
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks TT I appreciate it. ive gone through quite a few racquets in juniors, babo PD, LM, all types of Head racq., and the one I enjoy the most is the FXP Prestige M+, but the thing is I am not getting the adequate power and depth. I will look into the Speedport tour for sure

Yep, the tour defentely will add a power and depth. In fact, as I mention string tension, with standard Synthetic Gut 17 string, at 63 I had a lot of control and power was down, but when I strung it at 60, there was quite a bit more power and ball pocketing while I didn't lose hardly any control. I will continue to go down until I get too much power and not enough control.

TTECHH

P8ntballa
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey all,
I am a 4.5 or 5.0 player playing division 1 college tennis. I am looking for a new stick, i currently play with head LM Rad. MP, but I am looking for a racquet similar to the non cortex babolat pure drives. I want a control racquet with a fairly thin beam setup, but that adds enough power to keep the ball deep. I am an agressive baseline/all court player who also counter-punches (NOT PUSHES!) any suggestions would be great

Try the K6.1 16X18, other then the sortta small sp it does have quite a bit of pop and lots of spin. Also the Yonex RQiS1 tour was a very good hit for me, with the right strings and tension it does actually have some descent pop and its weight helped in ploughing through the contact zone, the serve was a problem for me though. My main stik the 06-07 RDS001mp is an awesome hit good weight, spin, control and enough power to get some action on the ball. Another stik that seems to fit your description perfectly are the new ozone tours both non-pro and pro if you want some more weight on the ball, the thing is that when I hit with both they felt as they looked hollow and un-stable which I disliked very much. PS the ozone pro tour has 18 mains so it gives mor control and less spin then its lighter brother.

fuzz nation
04-22-2008, 06:29 AM
You may want to read up on the Prince Hybrid Tour, too. That frame is among the few that I've tried that seems to be rock solid from everywhere on the court. It's listed swingweight on the TW spec sheet (337!) seems way off to me - it has a little heft, but it's no caveman club or anything. As long as its strings are on the firmer side, the Hybrid Tour is a terrific hitter.

I've used the LM Radical mp in the past and a frame that reminds me of it is the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. The Yonex is a little heavier, yet more headlight than the Radical so for me, it's a more useful frame at the baseline and up at net. Like the Prince HT, it needs a somewhat firm stringbed for best behavior and there's plenty of power and spin on tap in this racquet, too.