PDA

View Full Version : How do you find cheap rackets?

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I having been reading many threads tonight and I found one thing in common. I have read that a lot of people don't pay retail for rackets, they get it a lot cheaper.

Here's an example...

too much!!! LOL! i love it... just couldn't make it fit with the "other" thread! Well done! :)

here's what i do...

buy the nice shoes, but they only touch a tennis court.. never wear them anywhere else (get the most out of them for what they are built for!)

use new balls maybe more than once (for practice reasons... then give them to kids on other courts.. very charitable)

the sticks i buy may retail for alot (but don't tell anyone... i wouldn't pay retail!!)

:)

Can anyone please share their secrets and tips? (I use a wilson kblade 98 and they aren't cheap when you need to buy multiple ones) :mad:

icorp
04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
You can try used rackets in the classified section.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Just follow me around, I leave a trail of old racquets wherever I go. Kinda like Hansel 'n Gretel.

vwfye
04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
buy the previous year's cosmetic sticks... usually you can find them at bigger retailers on the clearance rack.

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Just follow me around, I leave a trail of old racquets wherever I go. Kinda like Hansel 'n Gretel.

Are you serious or being sarcastic? :confused:

user92626
04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi,

Can anyone please share their secrets and tips? (I use a wilson kblade 98 and they aren't cheap when you need to buy multiple ones) :mad:

If you play with kblade and need to buy several, which sounds like pro's do, should you care about saving a few bucks?

How long would 3 kblades last on you? I can't imagine under 3 years!

crawl4
04-20-2008, 10:52 PM

hahha are you being serious cause hes 100% serious

Ross K
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
bobbyjonesrocks,

To let you in on a little secret here, quite a lot of us tend to buy our frames through a certain Ernest Baye... I do hope you know the fellow I speak of?!

icorp
04-20-2008, 11:02 PM

We're all very serious. You can contact me directly if you like at ago.albert@gmail.com.

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
hahha are you being serious cause hes 100% serious

How would you know? :confused:

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Where do you live?

icorp
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
bobbyjonesrocks,

To let you in on a little secret here, quite a lot of us tend to buy our frames through a certain Ernest Baye... I do hope you know the fellow I speak of?!

Just make sure they're not fakes.

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
bobbyjonesrocks,

Aren't you scared of being ripped off?

bobbyjonesrocks
04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Just make sure they're not fakes.
How would you be sure of that if you can't see it in person?

icorp
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM

I would trust someone that deals exclusively in a certain product and also based on feedback. No different than the classified sections here.

don_nguyen11490
04-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Go to swap meets. You can find jewels buried under all that stuff.

You might not exactly find a brand spanking new Kfactor or Babolat but you can still get great player's rackets from the 80s and 90s for incredibly cheap.

I picked up a Dunlop Max400i today for about 5 bucks. It plays like a classic Max200G with an open string pattern.

icorp
04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Can't beat that and you can be sure they're not fakes!

meowmix
04-21-2008, 07:56 AM
In all seriousness, the bay does have a lot of rackets that are cheaper than market retail. Aergel 200's can be found for 100 bucks from reputable sellers.

For me, there is a tennis club around here called Northhampton tennis and fitness. The pros there have really good deals with the racket companies (two have deals w/ Wilson, one w/ Prince, one with Yonex). If you're in need of a racket, they can get you the racket for the price that TW would import them for. For example, the wilson teaching pros can get you a k 6-1 95 for 100 bucks, the yonex pro can get you a RQiS tour for 80, and the prince pro can get you a speedport tour for 100. A lot of people go to them for these cheap rackets. Problem is, you have to be enrolled in their classes/know them pretty well.

MichaelChang
04-21-2008, 08:26 AM

look at seller profile/feedback. honestly, bay is the way to go. Period.

Nitro
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
You know, I really don't understand the obsession with saving money on racquets. Compared to a lot of other recreational sports, tennis isn't that big a cost. If you are buying a couple racquets you should just suck it up. If you are buying a lot of racquets, you should expect a deal from the local shop.

phamster
04-21-2008, 09:20 AM

that is funny.. !!!

because i sorta am like you too.. but i have settled on my sticks..

wilson hyper staff tour 90, the one with the yellow on the inside of the edge of the hoop.
so sweet !!!

phamster

ARNICOLINI
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Nitro,

It appeals to everyone differently.

Myself I see it as a needless waste of $. In my recent racket switch I would have really went off the depend as I purchased a frame new from TW. Purchased a BU from the Bay. After about 45 days realized I purchased the wrong racket for me. Purchased 2 different ones off the Bay. Realized 45 days later these were also not the racket for me. Purchased 1 off the Bay that i am currently using. I think this is the one but I am waiting to purchase a BU for it.

In my case even if I sold my 4 sticks on the Bay in that little period of 6 months it would have cost me a mint. As it is now I will only lose about $100 and most of that on the one I paid full price from TW.

I understand the need to purchase from TW and I do purchase everything else I can from there (strings over grips, tennis balls etc). But when there is an opportunity to save nearly $100 per racket it worth investigating.

Some will do it simply for the savings (like me). Some will do it because they feel they are sticking it to the man (in this case corp America). Some will do it for the thrill on hunting it down on the bay and winning the auction.

In any case we are all glad you have the extra dough to shell out. With today's economy you are becoming a smaller and smaller group.

dakels
04-21-2008, 10:31 AM
You know, I really don't understand the obsession with saving money on racquets. Compared to a lot of other recreational sports, tennis isn't that big a cost. If you are buying a couple racquets you should just suck it up. If you are buying a lot of racquets, you should expect a deal from the local shop.

Not even playing as much as I used to, I spend about $100-200/month on stringing, $50/month on balls, $15-20 overgrips, shoes last about 2 months, new clothes, food and drink etc. Not including court fees. It starts to get expensive. Now forget all that, I want to get 2 more K90's. If I can simply save $140-180 on 2 more sticks, why would I ignore that?

Everyone's costs for playing are different, and that cost is relative to what their available resources are. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement and say tennis costs are inexpensive. It may not be like skiing and golf but it's not always cheap.

pmerk34
04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Nitro,

It appeals to everyone differently.

Myself I see it as a needless waste of $. In my recent racket switch I would have really went off the depend as I purchased a frame new from TW. Purchased a BU from the Bay. After about 45 days realized I purchased the wrong racket for me. Purchased 2 different ones off the Bay. Realized 45 days later these were also not the racket for me. Purchased 1 off the Bay that i am currently using. I think this is the one but I am waiting to purchase a BU for it.

In my case even if I sold my 4 sticks on the Bay in that little period of 6 months it would have cost me a mint. As it is now I will only lose about $100 and most of that on the one I paid full price from TW.

I understand the need to purchase from TW and I do purchase everything else I can from there (strings over grips, tennis balls etc). But when there is an opportunity to save nearly $100 per racket it worth investigating.

Some will do it simply for the savings (like me). Some will do it because they feel they are sticking it to the man (in this case corp America). Some will do it for the thrill on hunting it down on the bay and winning the auction.

In any case we are all glad you have the extra dough to shell out. With today's economy you are becoming a smaller and smaller group.
The economy in FL may be hurting but here on L. Island people are living as large as ever.

Nitro
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Not even playing as much as I used to, I spend about $100-200/month on stringing, $50/month on balls, $15-20 overgrips, shoes last about 2 months, new clothes, food and drink etc. Not including court fees. It starts to get expensive. Now forget all that, I want to get 2 more K90's. If I can simply save $140-180 on 2 more sticks, why would I ignore that?

Everyone's costs for playing are different, and that cost is relative to what their available resources are. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement and say tennis costs are inexpensive. It may not be like skiing and golf but it's not always cheap.

Is that... violin strings I hear? That was a very touching story. I'd just hate to be the moron who figures out that his e bay racquet is a fake. There are some things that its ok to save money on, like clothes or shoes, maybe even string. But there are some things that you just don't buy over the internet or from someone you don't know.

Bubba
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
How would you know? :confused:

Dude, there are many of us on this board with Racquet-itis, or as it's sometimes referred: ILoveAndHaveToHaveTooManyAndTheLatestestRacquetsAl lTheTime-ology

It's a medical condition that many of us suffer from, and yes, it is contagious - please use a condom on the boards if you don't want to catch it.

You will often find us trolling the FS/FT forums, as well as Mr. Ernests' Bay both buying and selling frames.

And no, there is no cure... you can only address the day to day symptoms by buying and selling frames.

ARNICOLINI
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Is that... violin strings I hear? That was a very touching story. I'd just hate to be the moron who figures out that his e bay racquet is a fake. There are some things that its ok to save money on, like clothes or shoes, maybe even string. But there are some things that you just don't buy over the internet or from someone you don't know.

While there certainly are fake rackets out there I know I am batting 1000 with getting real ones. 6/6 and my friend is 5/5. I think I may start a thread/poll to see how many people have actually purchased a racket and received a fake.

Not to mention there are some things you can do as a buyer for protection etc.

So it would be ok to get fake clothes, shoes and string but not a racket?
I am just asking.

HeadPrestige
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
well.. a lot of local tennis shops sell rackets cheaper than TW... so i just price match. A local shop in my area has the k90 for 130... most rackets are around that pricerange.

ARNICOLINI
04-21-2008, 01:45 PM
The economy in FL may be hurting but here on L. Island people are living as large as ever.

Well that is good to hear. The small business my wife and I own and my career are pretty much independent of a slumping economy I do hate to pay 3.60 a for a gallon of gas and see the housing market in such a lurch. Granted it was greed by the lenders that lead them there but still.

There are many living large here as well but there is also a growing population struggling. I fear its only going to get worse before it gets better.

dakels
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM

I don't know who you are arguing too. The stuff you preach is the same reason why I won't buy over ****...duh. That doesn't mean that I don't want to save a buck, and it certainly doesn't justify your "tennis is cheap" theory.

dakels
04-21-2008, 01:50 PM
well.. a lot of local tennis shops sell rackets cheaper than TW... so i just price match. A local shop in my area has the k90 for 130... most rackets are around that pricerange.

Where is this? I can't find any store that will sell it for less then $199 Wilson's MAP. This is what I am talking about. Not buying off some whoever off E8ay. People keep claiming these shops sell it cheaper but I can't find any :( Honestly if we were talking $50-60 I would just order from TW, but $140 difference (for 2) makes me think twice.

babolat15
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
idk if your a junior but a lot of juniors (including myself) have decent rankings and get discounted packages through partial sponsorship with companies

HeadPrestige
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
there are a few shops in socal where i live that have good prices. I do not want to post the names here, as that would take away business from TQ

bobbyjonesrocks
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Does anybody know of any good tennis shops in Phoenix, Arizona?

AlpineCadet
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I find that if I continue to borrow rackets from friends, I'll never have to buy a frame or restring, ever. Just take whatever frame they have; beggars can't be choosers. Don't have any balls? Just bring dead ones, I'm sure they'll open up a new can once everyone sees brown tennis balls. Want to save on gas? Find out when your friend is playing tennis, and just walk over to his/her house, I doubt he/she will send you home walking.

dakels
04-21-2008, 03:44 PM
there are a few shops in socal where i live that have good prices. I do not want to post the names here, as that would take away business from TQ
Yea sorry I didn't mean names of shops, just general area. I wish I could go to the TW shop. (I'm in NYC area)

HeadPrestige
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
they are both in southern California..

LanEvo
04-21-2008, 03:57 PM
to get cheaper racquets just buy used, they are the same thing as a new one

bobbyjonesrocks
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I am not sure if I could find a used Wilson Kblade since it is a brand new racket! :)

HeadPrestige
04-21-2008, 04:13 PM

uhm.. actually they are not the same thing as buying a new one.

Even though a racket is six months old.. it could have been used by someone who used it HEAVILY such as a d1 tennis player, or someone else who put a lot of playtime on it. Frames wear down, used is not the same as new....

since when does used=new?

dakels
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
lol sorry this made me laugh. I agree though, I wouldn't sell my used racquets. After one season they usually have noticeable head wear. After 2 years they frame is usually starting to get chewed into badly. Many players I know have this problem.

Still everyone wears their racquets down differently. I refrained about making a comment about someone before stating they bought used shoes. Who buys used tennis shoes... from the internet no less? lol What's next? Used jock straps? At least you can wash those :)

LanEvo
04-21-2008, 04:35 PM

i dont mean it that way but buying used is a cheaper alternative

HeadPrestige
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
i dont mean it that way but buying used is a cheaper alternative

i agree it is cheaper... but you must be careful who you buy from and know that the racket hasnt been worn down significantly.

pmerk34
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Well that is good to hear. The small business my wife and I own and my career are pretty much independent of a slumping economy I do hate to pay 3.60 a for a gallon of gas and see the housing market in such a lurch. Granted it was greed by the lenders that lead them there but still.

There are many living large here as well but there is also a growing population struggling. I fear its only going to get worse before it gets better.

The housing market in a lurch hurts people who buy to flip and those who are desperate to move (divorce, loss of job etc). IF you are a first time buyer or looking to trade up it's fantastic.