PDA

View Full Version : which player will carry the flag in Olympic?

hlkimfung
04-21-2008, 03:08 AM
My pick

Federer
no brainer - who else can they pick, plus it's Aug 8th, Fed's birthday

Joker
Serbia's most important current sportsman

Gonzo or Massu
The pair won the only two gold for Chile last time

Baggy

Henin

Ram and Elrich

westside
04-21-2008, 03:13 AM
I thought Fed can't do it cause he carried the flag back in 2004

hlkimfung
04-21-2008, 03:19 AM
I thought Fed can't do it cause he carried the flag back in 2004

they can't do it two consecutive time?

westside
04-21-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm not sure.

I remember someone telling me that though.

Seems fair though

flyer
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Its got to be Bags who else do they have...also I have a feeling Srichaphan will, thats just a feeling though

boredone3456
04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
as of now federer hasn't even said if he is going to the olympics for sure...unless something has changed. and I would say ivanovic for serbia....she is the highest ranking serb in any world sport I beleive...unless that changes by then

ATXtennisaddict
04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
what about the chinese women players? they have some good players...

anointedone
04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I doubt Federer will even show up for the Olympics. He showed up and tanked in 2004 so I doubt he even bothers to show up this time.

I think Djokovic and Henin will.

futuretoptenner
04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I doubt Federer will even show up for the Olympics. He showed up and tanked in 2004 so I doubt he even bothers to show up this time.

You're clearly misinformed. Federer wants a gold medal as much as he wants to win the next Grand Slam. This is probably going to be the last time he goes in as favourite. He is determined to get the gold.

anointedone
04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
You're clearly misinformed. Federer wants a gold medal as much as he wants to win the next Grand Slam. This is probably going to be the last time he goes in as favourite. He is determined to get the gold.

I laugh out loud at anyone who really believes Federer or any top player wants the Olympic Gold more then they want a Masters title even, let alone a Grand Slam. As for what Federer might have said, Roddick said similar things in 2004 yet he now has also pulled out. Agassi called the 96 Olympic gold the high point of his career, yet pulled out in 1992, 2000, and 2004 with no injuries. As for the 2004 Olympics Federer played pathetically and IMO even tanked his loss to Berdych which I saw (a player he has beaten comfortably everytime they met since even though Berdych is now better) and if he were to show up I wouldnt expect much from him again, but as I said I doubt he even does show up.

jmsx521
04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Davydenko will carry the Austrian flag.

hlkimfung
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Its got to be Bags who else do they have...also I have a feeling Srichaphan will, thats just a feeling though

Is Paradorn still playing?

hlkimfung
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
what about the chinese women players? they have some good players...

China had far more accompolished sportsman than the two tennis players

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Thats for sure. Divers, for example. Or gymnasts.

I think Safin might get the honors. He is revered in Russia.

But another question, don't countries have to qualify or something? I think swimmers and runners do. What happens in basketball? I know some NBA players plan to play for their countries. And when will the participants be announced? Who is going and who is not and for which country. Anyone know?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Davydenko will carry the Austrian flag.

And Tursunov for the states? Shouldn't Monaco have a pretty decent tennis team?

daddy
04-22-2008, 04:37 AM
as of now federer hasn't even said if he is going to the olympics for sure...unless something has changed. and I would say ivanovic for serbia....she is the highest ranking serb in any world sport I beleive...unless that changes by then

Djokovic owns our flag my friend. No contest.

WTA vs ATP = no contest.

daddy
04-22-2008, 04:40 AM

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray all confirmed they are playing the olympics. Roddick said he will not take part. Davydenko said he is not yet sure. Those are the players which publicly announced their decisions.

It is expected that europeans will show up ( French, Spaniards, British, German ) because the strenght of Olympic movement in Europe is far greater than in the US.

gj011
04-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Djokovic owns our flag my friend. No contest.

WTA vs ATP = no contest.

Djokovic will probaly carry the flag. Although if I get to pick I would give it to Cavic.

daddy
04-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Djokovic will probaly carry the flag. Although if I get to pick I would give it to Cavic.

If he does not get himself kicked out from the games. For sheer patriotism he should get the honer but Djokovic is still our best single athlete in my mind, and you do remember him issuing a statement on the issue. Cavic won a european gold and so it happened at the right time for him to show us how much he cares. I loved what he did although one an argue it was not the smartest thing to do.

joeri888
04-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Cavic is the swimmer right? He was really dumb with that shirt on. You guys probably loved it, but I wonder what the albanese people in Kosovo think of it. I don't know enough bout the situation there to judge who was ight, but it was Not very smart, as I think he got even disqualified from the rest of the tourney. I'd love to see Ruud van Nistelrooy wear a shirt with 'Belgium is Dutch' on it though.

joeri888
04-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Couldn't Rafael Nadal carry it for spain as well by the way? They of course have a lot of good athletes and Nadal isn't the favourite for the gold, but I think he might have a chance.

ATXtennisaddict
04-22-2008, 08:02 AM

yeah i know but it seems like this thread is talking about tennis players only.

IvanAndreevich
04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Fed should obviously get the flag.

SempreSami
04-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Doubt Murray will, GB have athletes with better chances for Gold in other events.

daddy
04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Cavic is the swimmer right? He was really dumb with that shirt on. You guys probably loved it, but I wonder what the albanese people in Kosovo think of it. I don't know enough bout the situation there to judge who was ight, but it was Not very smart, as I think he got even disqualified from the rest of the tourney. I'd love to see Ruud van Nistelrooy wear a shirt with 'Belgium is Dutch' on it though.

Not the same though. Kosovo is Serbia is regarded the same as New York is USA here. Because it is.Anyways I am not going into this any deeper, no need for that. We chat about tennis, who wants to fight about politics - can go to rants and raves and that's it. :)