PDA

View Full Version : Twohanded BH technique

Mush Mouth
03-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my grip on the twohanded backhand. I play with a Head Prestige MP. As I practice and incur use on the racquet eventually the bottom part of the handle (the butt cap) loosens or simply the plates that it is stapled and glued to breaks. Is there something in my technique that is causing this? AM I doing something wrong?

corncob3466
03-24-2004, 06:57 PM
dude, sounds like you got a lemon. im no expert though, maybe there is a way to do that by hitting the ball really hard. its a mystery to me.

Mush Mouth
03-24-2004, 08:02 PM
thanks for the input, maybe your right.

Bungalo Bill
03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
MM,

Sometimes when we learn the twohanded backhand we still have a lot of pressure in the bottom hand and we pull or torque the bottom of the handle. If you find your having some inconsistency problems it could be because to much bottom hand is in the stroke. Really learn to relax the bottom hand, almost like you dont even feel it. Learn to really hit or push through with the tophand.

You could also have too much of your hand below the handle which will twist the butt cap. Over time it will wear it out. The Head Presitge and the Volkl handles are made by putting to foam pallettes on the handle for the formation of the grip/handle.

Wilson racquets are made with a solid handle. Of the two racquets Head and Volkl, Head has the softest pallettes of the two. And they easily can break. If you want to rebuild yoru racquet I would suggest taking the butt cap off and using HOT GLUE to put it back on, it is the only glue I have found that works the best on racquets for adhesion. If your racquet is within warranty, I woud suggest sendig it back to Head as they are pretty good at replacing racquets with new ones.

Whether your hitting with straight arms or bended arms the technique is almost the same especially in the major parts of the swing. The back elbow (if your righthanded it is your left elbow) needs to be in fron fo the body plane and starts to move fiorward and through just slightly before strong rotation begins. The elbow needs to be in front of the body plane before contact is made.

The back muscles of the shoulder of your front shoulder in the beginning of the swing when you perform your backswing, really needs to relax and stretch as you coil. This shoulder starts the pull (but ever so briefly and slightly) and provides the jump start for the elbow to begin coming through and forward. There are pivot points that I have explained in another post but dont want to elaborate here. If you need help in understanding this further email me at usptapro@cox.net

Bungalo Bill
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
I almost forgot, the bottom hand influence is dependant on the grip your using as well, so maybe you can tell me what grips your using and I can alter my above comments.

My above comments are for a grip combination that favors the top hand as the dominant hand. I was thinking something like continental/eastern which is very common.