PDA

View Full Version : string tension

captinsane903
04-21-2008, 06:48 AM
What tension am I supposed to string my racket at? What are the benefits of stringing it at a lower or higher tension? thanks.

FH2FH
04-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Lower: bigger sweetspot, more comfort.
Higher: smaller sweetspot, less comfort.

Spin and power are debatable. With a higher tension and the SAME swing, you get more spin, more control, and less power. With a lower tension, you can swing SLOWER and use more energy directing the ball and amount of topspin. Sometimes that gives you more control.

It depends on what YOU need, not what works for everyone else. Start at the middle tension and adjust as needed. String type (gauge, material, etc) also makes a significant difference.

captinsane903
04-21-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm going to be using x-one biphase 17g. So then I guess I'll start out at between 56-58?

FH2FH
04-21-2008, 07:32 AM
someone will come along and tell you exactly what tension to use on your racquet, not knowing what kind of player you are, your age, ability, comfort level, etc and you may not like it anyway. just experiment to find what works best for you. all you're doing is establishing a reference point.

captinsane903
04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I see. I guess I'll just start at a tension and change as I play. thanks.

supermario343
04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Start your tension at like 55 lbs...and then go from there...youll find what you like

dakels
04-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I think tension is mainly up to your personal preference and your personal variables. I would try different tensions and see what you like. I will say this though, often hard hitters with big swings like higher tensions (with player racquets) due to the control. The reflection tends to be faster and more precise. Lower tensions pockets the ball more resulting in a much more of a trampoline effect. Some people play well with that, some do not.
There are so many variables on what and why people play with different tensions, from racquet dynamics, swing, pace, strings, stroke style, to personal feel.

I would start with the middle recommended tension for your racquet. Maybe +2 lbs for synth, -2 for poly. Find a string type you like and try different tensions +- 2 or 3 lbs at a time. If you get chances, try other people's similar racquets and ask what they use and string at. If you have a tennis pro/coach, this is the person that can really help you as they will know more about your physical characteristics and swing style.

Keep in mind also that many strings lose 2-4lbs after a while. If you like that softer feeling at the end, you may want to try stepping it down. Opposite, you like that stiffness in the beginning, try upping tension.

roddick89
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM
You probably know if prefer a soft feel or a crisper feel so you'd probabaly start from their and then if realise you dont like a soft feel for example, go up in tension, so yeh just adjust accordingly.

FH2FH
04-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Strings make a bigger difference than anything. You don't always get what you pay for either.

hoodjem
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM
What tension am I supposed to string my racket at? What are the benefits of stringing it at a lower or higher tension? thanks.

What's the racquet? Ability level? Style of play?

The more info, the better: lots of knowledgeable people on here.

captinsane903
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
What's the racquet? Ability level? Style of play?

The more info, the better: lots of knowledgeable people on here.

I'm going to buy the APDC. I already demoed it and I loved it. Hmmm, I'm a baseliner that can go up to the net and finish a point off if necessary. I pretty much can create a good amount of power and spin.

vwfye
04-21-2008, 09:26 AM
ask what tension the demo was at!

sciwriter
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
X-1 Biphase takes time to break in. A lot of posters say it takes an hour, but I'm not a big hitter and it took me two or three. After that it was great. If you string at 57 it won't play anything like 57 at first.