PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't he get any points?

Lotto
04-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I just looked at the ATP Rankings there and was wondering why Federer hasn't received any points for winning Estoril? I know they only count 18 tournaments during the year and I think Roger is playing in 20 including the Olympics.
So, do the players specify before the season begins what 18 tournaments they'd like their points to be counted from?

ninman
04-21-2008, 07:41 AM
He did get the points, but he also lost the points from last years Monte Carlo because it's being played 1 week later than last year.

Fee
04-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Here is Roger's points breakdown. It shows that Estoril is on there (he only has 3 of 5 optionals on his total right now) and Monte Carlo is not, just as ninman said.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/pointsbreakdown.asp?player=F324&ss=y

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Look at the rankings and race breakdown, they just haven't updated or in the process of doing the entire rankings link as I type.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/pointsbreakdown.asp?player=F324

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/racepointsbreakdown.asp?player=F324

MichaelChang
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
People are really eagerly and tightly following their idol's career. :) good!

Lotto
04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Ah yeah ok. The points are updated now. Thanks guys.

While we're on the subject of ranking points though, I was wondering how do they award points in the ATP yearly race?

Stchamps
04-21-2008, 11:05 AM
They're based on how well you did the year before. Say you get to the finals one year, and then the semis the next year, you actually lose points from the previous year.

Max G.
04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
They're based on how well you did the year before. Say you get to the finals one year, and then the semis the next year, you actually lose points from the previous year.

That's a misconception. The points are ONLY based on how you did within the past 52 weeks. If you get to the semis of the tournament, you'll have the same number of points regardless of whether you won the tournament last year or whether you lost in the first round last year.

Stchamps
04-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Yea cause they reset after 52 weeks. I was just explaining it to him in a simpler way.

Salsa_Lover
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
But Djokovic has still the estoril points in the breakdown. When will he lose them ?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I have no idea why Djokovic and Gasguet still have their points from last year. The Estoril tournament was held during the week of April 29th last year.

Was it held after Monte Carlo last year? :confused:

soyizgood
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I have no idea why Djokovic and Gasguet still have their points from last year. The Estoril tournament was held during the week of April 29th last year.

It's based on the past 52 weeks. Because of the Olympics, some tournaments got moved earlier or later than last year. Don't worry, the points system will restore order.

Fee
04-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Ah yeah ok. The points are updated now. Thanks guys.

While we're on the subject of ranking points though, I was wondering how do they award points in the ATP yearly race?

In the ATP RACE, points are awarded each week for tour level events only begining at the start of the season in January (the race does not count challengers and futures, but the entry rankings do). By the end of the year, the race standings will include the 4 slams, the 9 Masters Series events and the five best results from the optional tournaments. If a player does not play a Masters event that he gained direct entry into (ie Roddick in Monte Carlo) he will be 'zero pointed' for that event and not allowed to substitute points from another event. By the end of October, the Race and the Rankings should match up for the Top 20 players or so.

The entry rankings are a rolling point system based on the previous 52 weeks of activity. Points expire 52 weeks after they are earned regardless of whether or not a particular tournament has kept its place on the calendar. This page at Steve G tennis tells you which points go on and come off the rankings this year:

http://************.com/thisweek+.htm

Hope that helps. :)

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 12:25 AM

Yes, MC was on the 15th thats why its off already. Djokovic and Gasquet will lose their Estoril points on the 30th of April, I guess. 200 and 140 respectively.