PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Tape vs Electrical Tape

Spatula
04-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Is there really a difference between them? If so, what?

Nitro
04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
The electrical tape I have is a little to big to use as finishing tape. Its the same tape really, should work fine.

YULitle
04-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Same tape. Some finishing tape actually doesn't work as well. Just get something thin. You can get a big roll from most hardware stores.

Spatula
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I didn't think there was much difference, thanks!

Side note YU- thanks for taking the time to create the videos. The knots especially helped improve my technique!

YULitle
04-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I didn't think there was much difference, thanks!

Side note YU- thanks for taking the time to create the videos. The knots especially helped improve my technique!

NP. There isn't much of a difference for the most part. There are a few finishing tapes, like the ones that come with TG, that are a little stiffer and require more pulling to soften them up (in order to get them to conform to the bevels of the grip vs. the handle.)

racingdad23
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I use it, comes in any color you want and a roll lasts forever.

iplaybetter
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
they both work, i have used both, i have some finishing tape and it looks a bit more professional

iplaylikeyourgrandma
04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
hard to find electrical tape with 1/2 inch width...they are mostly 3/4 inch

Babb
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I keep a roll of electrical tape in my bad just in case I run out of finishing tape. It all gets covered up by my Prince elastic-y thing anyway...

Zhou
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
The wilson finishing tape is crap. I would like to get some electrical tape instead...

Babb
04-21-2008, 05:47 PM
A guy I know doesn't use finishing tape. Just slips the end under the elastic thing (what is that called?). He did that to one of my grips and it's driving me insane, but it is need of replacement now so I'm not going to waste tape on it...

Time to buy a 30 grip reel of Tournagrip XL since I only have like one left! :D

Kirko
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Is there really a difference between them? If so, what?

big difference. electric tape won't stay put eg. "peels-up". its not the same by a LONG SHOT.

Babb
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
^^^^^
I've never had this problem. Maybe your electrical tape isn't that great or something?

Steve Huff
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't put electrical tape on a customer's racket. It's thickness makes it look sloppy. If you could get it in 1/4" width, I doubt there's any difference in the makeup.

TenniseaWilliams
04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Try a search for "colored vinyl tape", or for a fabric tape with low residue try "gaffers tape". Small widths, lots more colors, and less expensive than the standard electrical tape. I like supergrap, just don't want to get yonex all over everything. And think of all the extra swing speed you get ditching that rubber collar :)

[d]ragon
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
i like finishing tape better but electric tape (any tape for that matter) would do the job. u could also look for vinyl tape, TW used to sell it but not sure anymore

[d]ragon
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
^^^ yes they do but its outa stock for now

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-UFTB.html

skierpaul
04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
big difference. electric tape won't stay put eg. "peels-up". its not the same by a LONG SHOT.

^^^^^
I've never had this problem. Maybe your electrical tape isn't that great or something?

You need to make sure you cut it and not tear it to length, and make sure that your finger doesn't touch the sticky side of the end. The dirt and oils in your hand will contribute to the end of the tape not sticking as well.

Nitro
04-22-2008, 03:49 AM
ragon;2271766']i like finishing tape better but electric tape (any tape for that matter) would do the job. u could also look for vinyl tape, TW used to sell it but not sure anymore

Electrical tape is vinyl tape and I'm pretty sure the general consensus is correct that both are the exact same as finishing tape.

aussie
04-22-2008, 04:18 AM
I just got a roll of finishing tape from TW and it definitely works and looks better than the generic electrical tape. It is not as wide as the generic and conforms better over the edge of the overgrip (doesn't "bubble" as generics often do). I bought it because I was ordering some string sets and was out of generic electrical tape and am glad I did.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
04-22-2008, 05:12 AM
electric tape looks kind of cheap and sloppy. u might as well use the finishing tape if u got it. electrical tape is last resort. IMO

eagle
04-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Without any options on the court, I use athletic tape.

No necessarily aethetically desirable. But in a pinch, it works.

r,
eagle

notujoo
05-10-2008, 12:08 PM
its the same thing... but i don't prefer using tape... instead i use the band that on your racket