PDA

View Full Version : Safin vs Young - who wins?

anointedone
04-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Who do you think would win if Donald Young and Marat Safin were to play today?

anointedone
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Donald Young would be too much for Safin if they played now. Safin wouldnt be willing to work hard enough and Young would hit alot of forehand winners right past Safin.

futuretoptenner
04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
I think Donald Young would be too much for Safin if they played now. Safin wouldnt be willing to work hard enough and Young would hit alot of forehand winners right past Safin.

Safin's playing badly at the minute but D.Young lacks firepower. So if Safin played anywhere near a good level for him, he would win.

anointedone
04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Safin's playing badly at the minute but D.Young lacks firepower. So if Safin played anywhere near a good level for him, he would win.

I do agree on Young to a large degreee. However regarding Safin what makes you think he would play near a good level for him, when most matches he plays these days are not classified as being near a good level for him. How do you even define a good level for him and what it is, when he is less then half the player he used to be.

edmondsm
04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I could see this match being about which player is trying to lose less. It would be close, but I would have to give the ultimate choke to Donald Young. He would be up 3-0 in the final set and then not get another first serve in for the entire match and end up losing 5-7 in the 3rd.

naturallylefty
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
i think safin still has the edge here
when he picks up his level of play like he has in some matches this year, he is still a dominating force

whoever wins, the racquets lose.

krackerjack50
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I think the better question is 19 year Safin vs 19 year old Young?

Safin in my mind was way ahead of where Young is today. It was clear to see this guy had GS potential. Not so clear (maybe yet) for Young.

Vlad
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
If they played now, I would pick Safin on clay. Marat has never lost to an American on that surface (meaningless dead rubber against Blake excluding)

drakulie
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
The sight of safin will be enough to scare Young into losing. Hopefully, it will also straigthen out Young's cap.

Djokovicfan4life
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Who knows anymore with Safin. I still think he'll win though! :)

el sergento
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Have you ever seen Young play?? He couldn't hit forehand winners past my grandmother. The guy has no firepower whatsoever. If Safin in his current form can beat Berdych he can stomp all over Young.

edmondsm
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Safin in my mind was way ahead of where Young is today. It was clear to see this guy had GS potential. Not so clear (maybe yet) for Young.

Oh yeah. Safin had many wins by his 19th birthday. By the time he was 20 he had made some good runs in big tournaments and then he won the USO shortly thereafter. Young has not shown that type of ability yet.

anointedone
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Have you ever seen Young play?? He couldn't hit forehand winners past my grandmother. The guy has no firepower whatsoever. If Safin in his current form can beat Berdych he can stomp all over Young.

The 2 times he played Lopez he hit more winners then Lopez. Lopez is a pretty big hitter who was overpowering Federer the first set and half of their U.S Open match. No Young is not some monster power player but the perception he has no power is a faulty one.

Safin's win over Berdych was probably twice as well as he plays the majority of his matches today. If he were playing at the level he did to beat a top 10 player, even a flaky one like Berdych, with any regularity he would not be where he is currently, which is barely in the top 100.

anointedone
04-21-2008, 02:33 PM

19 year old Safin would very comfortably beat 19 year old Young I think. Although 20 year old Safin was still miles better then 19 year old Safin as well. Safin at 19 wasnt that strong either, but still atleast a better player then he is today at 28.

JohnS
04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
How dare you ask a question like that on this thread!

Here, Safin is God!!!!!
:)

el sergento
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
The 2 times he played Lopez he hit more winners then Lopez. Lopez is a pretty big hitter who was overpowering Federer the first set and half of their U.S Open match. No Young is not some monster power player but the perception he has no power is a faulty one.

Safin's win over Berdych was probably twice as well as he plays the majority of his matches today. If he were playing at the level he did to beat a top 10 player, even a flaky one like Berdych, with any regularity he would not be where he is currently, which is barely in the top 100.

Lopez has a huge serve and a bigger forehand than Young. What does bringing up Lopez vs. Federer prove other than that Lopez is a better player than Young?? If Lopez had a back hand he might even crack the top 10.

Vision84
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Depends if Safin plays well or not. You can never tell with him. He can potentially destroy young if he is playing his best but if he plays like he usually does he will most likely lose.

Rob_C
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Well, DY hasnt turned 19 yet, so the question is premature, right???? We could ask an 18 yr old Safin vs DY now.

Also, if Safin is getting schooled by Hewitt, why is he going to crush DY.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I voted for Safin anyway, just to support him even from great distance.