PDA

View Full Version : Some like Prince Premier Softflex

HoboWithARolex
04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey, my sharks came with premier softflex at 52lbs, I just started playing in January so im fairly new to the game but I finally broke my first string. The guy at the tennis shop reccomended me to try Yonex tournament 50 at 57lbs but I feel like this string isnt nearly as good as the premier softflex. do you thinks its the tension difference of the string? is there anything similar to premier softflex but hopefully cheaper?

themitchmann
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I can't think of a lot of strings that are much cheaper than Premier without losing some of the characteristics. Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament is a little stiffer, but still has a nice feel. If you don't break strings that often, go with the 17 gauge.

Valjean
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
You're talking two different string *families*; that Yonex string is stiffer and for all-around play, whereas Prince's Premier is designed mainly for comfort. It has more power, too.

You can't get close enough to the play of Premier by lowering tension on the Tournament 50. For the life of me I cannot come up with a reason your stringer would want to recommend this substitution, unless he was trying to change your price point for you. Even then, the tension increase is a puzzler.

The PSGM recommended above is sort of a middle point between those two. I'm surprised your stringer didn't recommend Yonex's own multi, 850 Pro. It could be about the same price as your Premier, though, too.

HoboWithARolex
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
ive also heard prince synthetic gut with duraflex is good. what should i try next?

themitchmann
04-22-2008, 04:31 AM
Prince Syn Gut with Duraflex is a lot stiffer, but is a good, basic string to start with. It will give you a point of reference, as many people have strung and played with it. Worth a try for the price, but not even close to Premier. If you find you need something softer, then try the Original Syn Gut or Multifilament.

Valjean
04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Ektelon's Power Play, once Prince's Synthetic Gut Soft, is a soft, cheap all-around string. Wilson's Synthetic Gut Extreme is a softer-playing traditional syn gut, too.

hoodjem
04-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey, my sharks came with premier softflex at 52lbs, I just started playing in January so im fairly new to the game but I finally broke my first string. The guy at the tennis shop reccomended me to try Yonex tournament 50 at 57lbs but I feel like this string isnt nearly as good as the premier softflex. do you thinks its the tension difference of the string? is there anything similar to premier softflex but hopefully cheaper?

What's the rec tension range on your racquet?