PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions for a desperate man

Brianlee78
04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I am a 4.0 all court player. I'm 6'4" and have a big serve but am having some major problems with my forehand. I used Wilson Pro Staff classic's through high school them took a break from playing for about six years. I started playing competitively again last year and my wife bought me a Wilson K six.one 95 (16 x 18). I like the racket but sometimes I can't get through the ball fast enough and I keep pushing forehands long. Do you have any suggestions on what racket I should use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

z-money
04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
i have some head prestige classics if your interested

superstition
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I am a 4.0 all court player. I'm 6'4" and have a big serve but am having some major problems with my forehand. I used Wilson Pro Staff classic's through high school them took a break from playing for about six years. I started playing competitively again last year and my wife bought me a Wilson K six.one 95 (16 x 18). I like the racket but sometimes I can't get through the ball fast enough and I keep pushing forehands long. Do you have any suggestions on what racket I should use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Try better string, like gut. A string change is always the first step.

Rasta
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Babolat Pure Drive Cortex.

Brianlee78
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I have tried the string change, I'm using Wilson NXT 16's and really like them but still having the same problems.

superstition
04-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I have tried the string change, I'm using Wilson NXT 16's and really like them but still having the same problems.
Have you tried 17 gauge gut? Synthetic multis at 16 gauge are significantly stiffer and less efficient. If you're sending balls long your string tension may be too low. I never use 16 gauge string, of any type.

bad_call
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks,
Brian

hard to determine if this is a racquet or string issue. i suggest to 1st up the string tension to reduce power. if that's not the case then look for a lower powered racquet with a lower SW than the one you have now. if neither works then post back with your results thus far.

fuzz nation
04-22-2008, 06:53 AM
I used to use the 6.1 Classics and I started looking around when I needed to get my strokes under control. Found loads of success in frames with more flex, but I still love good heft in a racquet, especially when I routinely go to net. That newer K Six-One 95 is a nice update to that line from Wilson, but you might like something that has a little less backbone, yet still carries some ample weight.

Two racquets that aren't too soft, yet hit rather nicely from everywhere are the Yonex RDS 002 Tour and the Prince Hybrid Tour (this one is a lot like a 6.1 Classic on a diet... in a good way). Both of these seem to run well with strings on the tighter side. I like to play a lot with the Volkl C10 Pro 98 nowadays - it has some heft, but it's a good deal more flexible than the Wilsons and I can keep my stokes down nicely with it.

I don't have any experience with the gear from Tecnifibre, but the TFight 320 and 335 look like potential candidates for you. Fischer makes some pretty nice racquets, too. Their M Comp 95 might be something for you to check into. Anyway, the demo program at TW is a great resource which I highly recommend. If you can try some frames in your comfort range of weight yet with some more flex (the lower the rating, the less stiff the racquet is overall), I'll bet you have a bit of a revelation. Best of luck in the search.

SFrazeur
04-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Lowering the power on an already low powered, demanding racquet will not solve the real solution; which may be that the racquet is just too sluggish for the swing. Yes, lowering the power can probably help keep the ball in more, however, you'll lose penetration on your shots.

-SF

bad_call
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Lowering the power on an already low powered, demanding racquet will not solve the real solution; which may be that the racquet is just too sluggish for the swing. Yes, lowering the power can probably help keep the ball in more, however, you'll lose penetration on your shots.

-SF

you inadvertently omitted the lower SW which would assist in racquet head speed and when coupled with a lower powered racquet...:) however not knowing the OP's playing/swing style...:-|

SFrazeur
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
you inadvertently omitted the lower SW which would assist in racquet head speed and when coupled with a lower powered racquet...:) however not knowing the OP's playing/swing style...:-|

I'm not catching what you're saying. "Lower" swingweight of what?

-SF

bad_call
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not catching what you're saying. "Lower" swingweight of what?

-SF

a lower racquet SW will assist in racquet head speed so that the OP is not so late to the party.

SFrazeur
04-22-2008, 12:13 PM
a lower racquet SW will assist in racquet head speed so that the OP is not so late to the party.

Gotcha, now. Originally it read to me as you were comparing his racquet to a specific one, instead of in general. My suggestion was that the k6.1 may be too sluggish, too demanding for his swing, his swing type. I just did not get into specifics. Swing weight is a big determining factor for racquet sluggishness. But it's not the singular factor, it's a combination of SW, mass, length, etc.

-SF

KFwinds
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Hold on a sec; if I read the original post correctly, he said he was out of the game for six years. If I stop playing for a couple of weeks my anticipation and preparation are a little rusty and I'm late on some balls. I think this is more of a timing issue than a racquet/string issue. I'm 6'1, 165lbs - a thin guy - and I am very comfortable using the PSC 6.1. I'm also about a 4.0 player, but I play on average about 4 times per week. He could try a slightly lighter racquet until he gets his game back, and then work back up to the ProStaffs.

obnoxious2
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I think you just need some time to get used to the timing. Make sure you bring your racquet back way early and try to get more head speed on the ball to get more spin

Ross K
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I used to use the 6.1 Classics and I started looking around when I needed to get my strokes under control. Found loads of success in frames with more flex, but I still love good heft in a racquet, especially when I routinely go to net. That newer K Six-One 95 is a nice update to that line from Wilson, but you might like something that has a little less backbone, yet still carries some ample weight.

Two racquets that aren't too soft, yet hit rather nicely from everywhere are the Yonex RDS 002 Tour and the Prince Hybrid Tour (this one is a lot like a 6.1 Classic on a diet... in a good way). Both of these seem to run well with strings on the tighter side. I like to play a lot with the Volkl C10 Pro 98 nowadays - it has some heft, but it's a good deal more flexible than the Wilsons and I can keep my stokes down nicely with it.

I don't have any experience with the gear from Tecnifibre, but the TFight 320 and 335 look like potential candidates for you. Fischer makes some pretty nice racquets, too. Their M Comp 95 might be something for you to check into. Anyway, the demo program at TW is a great resource which I highly recommend. If you can try some frames in your comfort range of weight yet with some more flex (the lower the rating, the less stiff the racquet is overall), I'll bet you have a bit of a revelation. Best of luck in the search.

Some v/good recommendations here IMO.

ndtennis
04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
if your biggest problem is pushing the balls long, just put some higher tension strings in there.
Head radical would be ok, not so much power though. my groudstrokes were go by the service line hitting hard... but its alirght
Ficher is also good, it would be great for your big serve and all-around game.

Tennisman912
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Brianlee78,

I am afraid to give you a good recommendation because we really need more information. Do you know what general weight you like? How much head light or head heavy to you prefer? How long has your layoff been since using the ProStaff classic and is that what your favorite racquet spec is? How much swing weight can you handle? Do you like stiff or flexible? I can make some educated guesses but at the end of the day they are guesses as to what a player with your experience level needs and likes. I will make a few guesses and tell you what parameters I am basing the suggestions on but until I know more, it will be hard to be precise.

The only thing I know for sure is that you can’t handle (and are mature enough to admit it) the K95. This is entirely because of its high swing weight which wears you down the longer you play. Most people will struggle with it because as you said, it is hard to get around (because of the swing weight, which is 340). I have played with both versions of the K95 extensively and am in the process of switching to the K95 18x20. The K95 racquets are also pretty stiff and are stiffer than the older Prostaff racquets.

Based on what we know, here is what I think you will like. Your are bigger and probably stronger than most at 6’4” so you can probably handle the higher weighted racquets, just not the ones with the very high swing weights. As an all court player you probably also want a racquet with good maneuverability and thus a head light balance. How head light is entirely personal preference but I prefer as head light as possible. So now we know you will probably like racquets that weigh from 11-12oz in general. This is a good place to start. I would also recommend racquets that have a swing weight of 325 or less.

Here are some racquets you may like broken down into two general groups: The stiffer ones and the more flexible ones. I will also give a little info about each to help you decide. Then it is a matter of trying those you think you will like and you are golden.

The stiffer ones you may like include the Babolats, such as the pure drive std. Cortex or one of the roddick racquets, or one of the prince O racquets such as the O3 tour, white, black or red. You may also like something like the head microgel instinct. I personally find the babolat’s a bit stiff for me but many people love them. The pure drive cortex is noticeably lighter, has less swingweight and lots of pop. The prince racquets are not too heavy, generally not as stiff at the babolat racquets and are easier to hit touch shots with (in my opinion only). The instinct is a pretty good middle of the road racquet. Not to heavy, not to stiff, good touch. A good, well balanced racquet.

Some more flexible ones include The K95 Team racquet or the most excellent head prestige line. The K95 team will feel similar in the hand as your current stick, but is much lighter (10.9oz strung), very flexible and is easy to maneuver. But you must provide all the pace with it. The head prestige line are some of my favorites. I used the liquidmetal version for 5 years. They are pretty flexible, have excellent touch and not too much swingweight. But you need to hit the sweet spot as they are not forgiving. You must also hit out or your shots will fall short.

These are just the tip of the iceberg but maybe it will help guide you in the right direction.

Good luck in your tennis and racquet search.

TM

NLBwell
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Probably not the best forum for this answer, but if you are only having problems on one stroke after a 6 year layoff, your racket is fine for you. Most likely a small change in technique - my guess is not bending your legs - no one likes to bend their legs when they get older :-).
With regard to equipment, possibly the new racket may have a bit more power than your old ones, mostly because your old racket probably was fatigued out some and partly because of the differences between the rackets. A soft poly hybrid string will give you more spin and less power without being a lot harder on your arm. Pure Drive type rackets and full poly string jobs are going to be a lot harder on your arm. Of course, the spin vs. power will also apply to your other strokes.
(try SPPPPure or CyberPower with a soft multi - I use AlphaGut 2000)
If you feel you are still too late on your forehand, some people have just shaved off part of the plastic headguard to reduce swingweight somewhat.
Lots of good info about rackets above, but rackets do cost money.