PDA

View Full Version : Role of Racquet Balance?

radical tourist
01-09-2005, 11:58 AM
The post about spin prompts this observation/question:
Some racquets I test just seem to be created for serving. They usually have open string patterns, generously head light, with swingweights somewhere below 320 grams with total weight somewhere around 11.5 to 12 oz. My experience is they just seem to snap over the top on their own naturally. Anyone else notice this? Would adding weight to the buttcap of a racquet with an already-high swingweight promote this effect or just make the whole racquet slower on every shot?

Gaines Hillix
01-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree with your observations, at least for me. I find racquets in that wieght and swingweight range easier to swing and generate head speed with than heavier racquets. Adding weight to the handle of a frame will create the perception that it is more head light and easier to swing, but it really isn't. But, if the racquet is light but head heavy, like a stock Wilson HH 5.3, I think adding weight to the handle and rebalancing it makes it a much better playing and more arm friendly frame.

radical tourist
01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Gaines. So you don't think extra weight under the buttcap helps snap the racquet on serves and overheads? Any downside on groundstrokes?

Xevoius
01-09-2005, 08:08 PM
I experimented adding a ton of weight to the butt of my racquet and it go to a point where the head started feeling flimsy. There was a certain point where I really felt it helped slow my swing down just a bit and did not infringe on the spin on my shots. It gave me more depth on my groundstrokes and I would highly suggest trying it out.

I have since gotten used to the weight and was compelled to add more which in turn required me to add some weight to the head to stabilize the feel on my shots.

iloveradical
01-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Swing weight matters. Those service friendly racquets typically have relatively heavier swing weights. Just compare PD Team Standard with Andy's PD Team Plus. Both racquets weigh about 11.2oz with similar balance point (5 and 6 pt. head light respectively). However, PD Team Plus' SW is 332g, while PD Standard's is only 310g. That means more weight is distributed on the upper hoop in the case of PD Team Plus, which imparts power to the ball when you're serving. Hence, it is no wonder that Break Point evaluated that LM Radical (W318g, 4pt HL, SW 325g) is 'surprisingly' easy to serve with. Diametically different is PS 6.0 95 which weighs 12.2 oz (346g) with swing weight of only 318g. It is hard to serve bombs with 6.0 95, if you don't modify it. IMO, adding lead tapes inside the butt cap or on the handle doesn't help you create a service friendly racquet. Rather, some weight should be added on 12 o'clock or 2-10 o'clock to increase SW.

LafayetteHitter
01-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Just wanted to say, great post Iloveradical, very informative.

Scott