PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to clamp main? (pic)

bwcall
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Which is the correct way to clamp your mains with a flying clamp? I've never seen this addressed directly.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7258/58834737wj0.gif

YULitle
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
1 (10 char.)

bwcall
04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
My goodness that was fast.

Consider the rest of this thread open to criticize my drawing.

supermario343
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
i like that drawing lol..its a good depiction of what it looks like..and yes YULitle responds quickly to anything related to stringing haha :)

iplaybetter
04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
wonderful diagram, YULitle loves those

YULitle
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh yes. I have many of my own. :D

2leftfeet
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
sorry to thread jack but whats "10 char."

Tim W
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM
You cannot type a message less than 10 characters than length, so people add things like that to make it 10 characters long, so they can post it.

SOY78
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I knew I was doing something wrong when clamping NG the klippermate clamps would sometimes slip like crazy. Also they were flattened where the clamps used to be clamped :(

Koz
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
I made a thread about this years ago; but it lacked the nice picture! One more vote for #1

aussie
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I used to be very careful to clamp as in No. 1 when I first used Klippermate clamps, but now I find that No. 2 works just as well (i.e. no slipping) and is quicker. So No. 2 for me.

Loco4Tennis
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
if your using the klippermate clamps and they slip, its time to clean does suckers,
i might be wrong here, but when choosing which way to clamp, i would say either 1 or 2,,,buttttt you have to be consistent throughout the string job, i use the #2 method (prefered), so i have a reference line to go to on the clamps on every clamp i make
as for the marks it leaves on the string, i measure for tension and string damage or marks before i start the job so the the clamp is set to the correct string tickness for every string i start with, this reduces the damege or marks, whichi try to minimize as much as possible

Richie Rich
04-25-2008, 04:00 AM
I knew I was doing something wrong when clamping NG the klippermate clamps would sometimes slip like crazy. Also they were flattened where the clamps used to be clamped :(

NG is a tricky string to clamp. too loose and it slips, too tight and you can knick the string resulting in early fraying.

when i', stringing gut i find (most of the time) i have to adjust the clamps midway through just so they are tight enough. it's a pain. but it sure beats paying $60 for a gut string job at the local stringer

TenniseaWilliams
04-25-2008, 06:12 AM
My opinion is 2! More surface area, gravity is against you, and level is important on flying clamps. On fixed clamps I would go with 1...

ambro
04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I use 2 for mains, 1 for crosses. Is there an actual reason for using 1 throughout the job (other than consistency), such as 2 damaging string? I'd think 2 would be safer for strings such as gut since the string experiences less pressure because the clamp force is spread out over the entire clamp, and not only the teeth. As long as I use 2 for the mains EVERY TIME and 1 for crosses EVERY TIME to stay consistent (which I have always done), is there a huge problem with using the second way?

BTW, this is a fixed clamp machine.

Loco4Tennis
04-26-2008, 04:50 AM
ive read also on the userrmanual for the klippermate clamps that the string should be 1/8" up from the bottom screews on the clamps, which would pace it about where the #2picture is showing

TenniseaWilliams
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
I use 2 for mains, 1 for crosses. Is there an actual reason for using 1 throughout the job (other than consistency), such as 2 damaging string? I'd think 2 would be safer for strings such as gut since the string experiences less pressure because the clamp force is spread out over the entire clamp, and not only the teeth. As long as I use 2 for the mains EVERY TIME and 1 for crosses EVERY TIME to stay consistent (which I have always done), is there a huge problem with using the second way?

BTW, this is a fixed clamp machine.

Certainly not a huge issue unless there are reasons I am not aware of. My reasoning for #1 on a fixed clamp is that the clamp pressure is a little higher at the top than the bottom. You should be able to adjust the tension slightly lower on the clamp and still get good traction on the string if you are using the same place in the jaw. I believe the less pressure on the string during clamping (without slipping) the better, admittedly, this is minor.