PDA

View Full Version : CyberPower/CyberFlash hybrid vs. Blue Gear

netman
04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
2 Yonex RDS001 MPs with identical weights and balance. Both are strung at 55 mains/52 crosses. Hybrid is CP mains and CF crosses. All BG in the other. 1.25mm for both setups.

Initial impressions. BG feels much livier. Also feels like a thinner string. Maybe because the shape equals less total material in a 1.25mm. BG needs more spin to keep the ball in play. I have to swing easier to keep the ball in bounds. Which is a plus in that I can swing easier and get good depth. Definitely more spin potential with BG, but there is better control with the hybrid. Hybrid has a more solid feel, BG a more springy feel.

To be honest I like them both, just in different ways. Next test is competition. Can I add enough spin and keep my swing relaxed enough to tame the power of the BG, or will my shots start flying under pressure? More importantly, the hybrid is cheaper than the BG. Is the BG worth the price differential? Stay tuned.

-k-

PROTENNIS63
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Blue Gear is thinner since the shape is hex.

Stan
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I predict you will find Blue Gear will lose playing properties quickly, getting stiffer and non-responsive. The Topspin hybrid will clearly play better for a longer period of time. In my book, advantage Topspin.

PED
04-22-2008, 04:44 AM
I find my Blue Gear to last quite a while and I tend to like it after it's been in for a while. The playing properties tend to remain strong even after the grooves wear off. I use the 1.28 and that may act differently than the thinner versions. I think the BG is thinner because of a thin core and the gears protruding from that core.

PROTENNIS63
04-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Blue Gear is just a spin monster. Even when the grooves start to where off, the surface is still rough. I glide my palm across the strinbed and I can feel thr roughness!

jcstennis
04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Net... maybe try a BG main and CP cross??? :)

PED
04-22-2008, 06:57 AM
J: off topic but I'm going to string X1 mains and BA crosses: what tension would you do on the mains. I usually string my softer multis and syn guts around 57 or 58: should I stick with that tension?

PROTENNIS63
04-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Net... maybe try a BG main and CP cross??? :)

I tried that in my BB11. Most of my shots were trailing long even with the spin from Blue Gear.

netman
04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I tried that in my BB11. Most of my shots were trailing long even with the spin from Blue Gear.

H-m-m-m, maybe BG mains and CF crosses. Might have try that one.

jcstennis
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Wow! With a smooth racquet like the BB11 and the spin monster Blue gear, you would think the CP would fit the bill... CP may have more "pop" or less control than i thought! :)

jcstennis
04-22-2008, 06:46 PM
J: off topic but I'm going to string X1 mains and BA crosses: what tension would you do on the mains. I usually string my softer multis and syn guts around 57 or 58: should I stick with that tension?

on the PDR? what tension you thinking for the crosses? (what gauge strings?)

i always say try what you know, even though the strings are new or different... let me know :)

PED
04-23-2008, 01:50 AM
J: Yes, in the PDR. I'm going with likely BA crosses with the 1.22. I usually use thicker crosses but don't have any thick poly any more ;) The x1 is the 16g btw. I've never done this setup with multi mains and poly crosses so I wanted to try it out. I'm looking to do 55 or 54 or the crosses.

jcstennis
04-23-2008, 04:21 AM
i was thinking 57/55... so i think your dead on... the BA 1.22 is soft and powerful, so is the X1, so i wouldn't go to low on the cross... OR maybe lower the cross and try to get better ball cupping/string bed feel. This sounds like a power-winner in a PDR!!!

I have a couple of 1.22 half sets around... and some X1 to play with...hmmm, i may try this set up! :)

i may try some BG with X1 also... see how that goes (BG m's/X1 x's)

PED
04-23-2008, 04:34 AM
I'll probably do 55 at the lowest on the cross. I would rather do it with a stiffer cross like cyber flash. I remember Ljubicic for #1 did that setup last year in his Whites and really liked it. I have some SPPP which may tone down the power in the cross but it's 1.18 and I'm not sure how well that will work with the 1.30.... Thanks for the feedback

Ljubicic for number1
04-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Hey PED, Yeah found the X1 mains with Cyber Flash crosses to work extremely well in both my whites and my N95 16x18's, The X1 breaks pretty quick though.

netman
04-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I predict you will find Blue Gear will lose playing properties quickly, getting stiffer and non-responsive. The Topspin hybrid will clearly play better for a longer period of time. In my book, advantage Topspin.

Good call. I used the BG for some extended hitting. Loved it for the first hour and then it seemed to go dead the more I played. By the end it felt stiff and dead. Had this same thing happen with Big Ace, so it may just be that Pro Supex strings aren't a good fit for me.

Too bad because it was wonderful in the first hour of play.

-k-