PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a racquet if the bumper guard/grommets were discontinued?

Passion4Tennis
04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
That's the dilemma I'm facing right now. I have one Volkl Tour 10 VE mid, and I would like to buy another one, but I can't find any bumper guards/grommets for them.

Does anyone know where I can buy them, or what else (if anything) would fit in a VE 10 mid?

LanEvo
04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
ask tw if they are getting anymore grommets

psp2
04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
That's the dilemma I'm facing right now. I have one Volkl Tour 10 VE mid, and I would like to buy another one, but I can't find any bumper guards/grommets for them.

Does anyone know where I can buy them, or what else (if anything) would fit in a VE 10 mid?

Call Volkl directly and ask if they have bumpers in stock.

skierpaul
04-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm stuck in the same boat, although I'm using a 25 year old stick. I'd love to find a source of individual grommets so I could just replace the ones which are cracked. Otherwise I'm stuck cutting up strips from other rackets.

VGP
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
^^^....they do make these.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageALPHA-GROMMET.html

...or you can use tubing.

BTW, what is this 25 year old stick you speak of?

skierpaul
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
^^^....they do make these.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageALPHA-GROMMET.html

...or you can use tubing.

BTW, what is this 25 year old stick you speak of?

Ouch, those are pretty pricey - more than a buck a piece. However, they're exactly what I'm looking for. I just wont pay $6 for four! Know of anything like the Fittex but in bulk?

What kind of tubing are you referring to? How do you keep the tubing from getting sucked into the frame? Most grommets have a head which help keep them secure.

BTW, the 25 year old stick I'm referring to is a 81.1 sq/in Head Graphite Edge. For being ancient, this racket is really sweet!

skierpaul
04-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Found some!

http://www.mansionselect.com/tennistools-grommetsystem-grommetset.html

Deuce
04-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Ouch, those are pretty pricey - more than a buck a piece. However, they're exactly what I'm looking for. I just wont pay $6 for four! Know of anything like the Fittex but in bulk?

What kind of tubing are you referring to? How do you keep the tubing from getting sucked into the frame? Most grommets have a head which help keep them secure.

BTW, the 25 year old stick I'm referring to is a 81.1 sq/in Head Graphite Edge. For being ancient, this racket is really sweet!

Found some!

http://www.mansionselect.com/tennistools-grommetsystem-grommetset.html
Notice the enormous price difference between that place ^ and TW?
Personally, I can't figure out why TW charge so much for these things when they're available at several other places for much, much less.
I can understand that TW's price can be higher than someone else's price on selected products - that's fine. But their price on these Fittex grommets is very much disproportionately high.

I, too, thought the Fittex individual grommets were exactly the answer I was looking for. I bought a couple of packages of Fittex individual grommets a few years ago for my Graphite Edge - used the Fittex grommets for the entire frame.
Half of the Fittex grommets were broken or cracked after about 4 months. I do not recommend them.
You'd be better off buying a grommet/bumper set for a current frame and cutting the grommet strip into individual grommets. The quality will be better than the Fittex.
I suggest buying an 18x20 grommet/bumper set - only because you'll get more grommets for the price.
You may even be able to keep a few groups of 2 or 3 grommets together and fit them into the Edge.
You can use the same principle with the bumper - cut it up into individual bumper-grommets, and it will act as a functional bumper. Even if there is a small space between the sections, the pieced-together bumper will still serve the purpose of protecting the frame.

It's a little more work (not a lot) to do it this way, but to me, it's worth it as an alternative to the Fittex grommets.

One last tip - put the individual grommets in the frame one by one as you're stringing it. If you put all of the grommets in the frame initially, they'll start popping out randomly as you're stringing it, which is rather frustrating.
I learned this the hard way.

VikingSamurai
04-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Deuce.

What is your purpose in life? ;)

VGP
04-22-2008, 04:02 AM
His purpose is to save us from ill-fitting individual grommets.....

.....and, in general, to bust people's balls.

;)

skierpaul
04-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Deuce.... If not the fittex, then what specific grommet strips do you buy to cut up that work best for the H.G.E? I'm not putting this racket down any time soon!

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-23-2008, 04:56 PM

I don't think you'll have much luck finding replacement grommets for the V-Engine Mid. I've been searching for some for over a year now, and the only place I found that had even a few left wanted $50 for a single set! When the time comes, I may end up following Duece's sage advise :)

Federer Jr.
04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Hell Yeah a way to save sum cash

Passion4Tennis
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I've searched many places online for them, and, like Klatu's experience, the only dealer that had them wanted $50!

I guess I'll just follow Deuce's sound advice....unless I'm tempted to demo some other racquets in the liquidation pile. :)

Deuce
04-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey Deuce.... If not the fittex, then what specific grommet strips do you buy to cut up that work best for the H.G.E? I'm not putting this racket down any time soon!
It doesn't really matter which grommet strip you buy - because you'll be cutting them up.

If you have experience with a particular model's grommets that have been durable, then buy a few of those.
I just mentioned to get grommet strips in an 18x20 pattern because with them, you'll get a few more grommets for your money.

One last thing - order some tubing with the grommet strips. The price is negligible (for around $5, you can get enough to last you several years if you're only using it on your own frames), and it can come in very handy if ever a grommet or two are a bit too short.