PDA

View Full Version : real st vincent story

tedde
03-24-2004, 09:45 AM
what ive heard is the only real st. vincents the ones without the headguard (including the chicago) the st. vincent factory burned down in the early 80's and production moved to another place, where the added the headguard. So even if the racket has the Q in the code its not a real st. vincent if it has the bumberguard.

kreative
03-24-2004, 10:22 AM
what's your source? reliable, or rumor?

andreh
03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Early 80s must surely be wrong. The Pro Staff was introduced in 1983 or 84. You must mean the early 90s?

Hal
03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
I think the headguard was added in something like 85 or 86. I do agree that the pre headguard models played differently and felt a little heavier. I prefered the Pro Staff's that I bought in '84-'85.

PFurlong
03-24-2004, 01:43 PM
I have never seen a SV w/o a bumper guard. The red paint is the single easiest way to tell. I have seen X or Q as the last letter. All this fascination is great and this racquet has a solid cult following but why worry about a racquet that is so hard to find in multiples. Who wants one racquet? If you are interested in playing with it you need 3-4 in your bag. they are notorious for breaking strings.

Hal
03-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I have no idea if the original PS were SV's or not, but I do know that they did not have bumper guards. However, I do remember the red primer under the paint. So using your logic, they would be SVs.

That said, I do agree that it's a waste to look for one, unless you're a collector, I guess. Even that's a waste, IMO.

HT
03-24-2004, 02:06 PM
I agree, it's a pain trying to search all over **** for the old SV. The final bid usually end up twice as much as the newer model. Instead of wasting all that time looking for the older model, just spend for more time tunning up your game. I have 4 new models and they play just fine with natural gut. Besides, those head guard are going to keep your racquet protected. If you want a heavier racquet, add lead to it. 8)

Bhagi Katbamna
03-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Agree with HT. Pete Sampras might be able to tell the difference but hey, I'm no Pete Sampras.

@wright
03-24-2004, 07:18 PM
If you have a racquet that may be a St. V, just soak it in paint thinner for a few hours. If you get to the red primer, you got yourself a St. V! Now just repaint it to look like it originally did.

suthat kanthasaibour
03-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I bought ProStaff for almost 18 years and still use it. Mine came with a leaflet. Outer leaflet are picture of Stefan Edberg with the word "Pro Staff Racket of the year 1984" on below and picture of Chris Evert with "Made in St. Vincent, W.I.". So I can tell that my St. Vincent PS has no bumper guard, there's red primer under black paint and the code on the butt is JWQ.