PDA

View Full Version : Best Spin Doctor of the last 20 years?

Jorge
01-09-2005, 02:46 PM
What will be the the most rated raquet for those long clay rallies over the last 20 years. Iīm referring exclusively for a baseliner raquet that produce the greatest amount of spin (best of the best of spin doctors) and that have proven results over the last 20 years during the use in the pro tour. To my memories come the venerables RD-7, PT 280, POGOS, POG Mid, POGLB, C10 Pro, HPS 6.1 Tour Stretch. What others can you name and include in these selective list and what will be your favorite?

Note: The raquets name must have won minimum a French Open or a Master Series Series clay tournament in the last 20 years.

I hope will be fun and good history for those baseline bangers.

TripleB
01-09-2005, 02:57 PM
If you were talking about slice only then I'd have to say the RD-7...but since I believe you were talking about the best combination of slice, topspin, kick on serve, and all other forms of spin, I voted for the Prince Original Graphite Mid.

TripleB

Jorge
01-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the post Triple B. Like you have understand, I was referring to the racket that generate the most spin in all forms.

!Tym
01-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Of those listed, I feel that the PT280 definitely should not be on that list. It has good spin for an 18x20, but does not compare to even a Prince Graphite II MP which generates insane spin...*without a doubt* more spin than the POG Mid, which I think is really overrated in this department...it's allegedly WIDE-open 14x18 string pattern is actually packed fairly dense in the middle. It's also a stiff racket.

The DB26MP was a more so crazy spin meister in my view. Flexy in the throat, stiffer in the head, wide open string pattern, soft flex = crazy, LUXURIOUS spin.

The RD-7 was engineered by Yonex to generate spin. Their ingredients: Mucho mass in the head so as to REALLY crush the ball. Mucho flex in the throat to further enhance that OPS to really CUP the ball. Stiffer head, flexy throat = according to Yonex engineers, the science behind optimum spin. Open string pattern, not crazy open, but open. Add all these factors on top of the SOLID hitting platform provided by the isometric head shape, and you've got a racket specifically engineered for spin. Now, this is in theory only though. I have so much experience with this racket it makes me sad that I can't get them anymore...I always thought they'd be there for me. BUT, this is NOT an EASY spin racket by any means. To me, the Prince Graphite series rackets give an easier spin, this to me, however, is not equated with the HEAVIEST spin. WHEN you can manage to get the bat around, the RD-7...that BOAT, around in time; you get the just about the heaviest feeling spin you'll ever get. It's not a superficial type of spin, it's a dynamic spin, a BRUISING spin, a TEXTURED spin, a spin painted with heavily saturated, RICH, fine oil paint.

BUT, the problem is that the RD-7 is a WEIRD racket. If you don't swing all out on it, and make Tarzan pounding his chest in the jungle like contact the racket sweems to do nothing, absolutely nothing. The stringbed just kind of sits there and feels dead and lifeless, like a box of SpecialK cereal, no what I mean? ;)

I've never tried such a finicky racket, nor a racket that seemed to play and FEEL so entirely different from day to day. On your best days, it seemed like the ball would just pocket into the strings forever resulting in that marvelously textured spin I told you about. Then, the next day, you'd stink it up, and be late on every ball, and the string bed/response/feel kind of was just there, utterly lifeless. Not limp, not stiff...just blah....

So to me, the POG Mid type rackets have a superficial feeling spin, it's more easily accessible. The racket properties are more predictable, what you see is what you get, it's like a flat curve to an audio engineer.

The RD-7 equalizer curve was all over the place, all kinds of mixed messages, and it was frustrating as...HEL-CK!!! BUT, get that tuning just right? Man, and it was like all the stars aligned when playing at night and like the sun was pouring sweet honey when playing during the day. Total tennis nirvana...the feeling that you can texture the court with every shade of spin AT WILL. Call it zen, call the RD-7 what it is at its best...warm maple syrup like the first time Aunt Jamima made it. The RD-7 on your best days was like singing the blues...a beautiful thing, nothing quite like it.

The POG Mid has a more linear type performance curve in my opinion, like a factory, default, digital video signal. The RD-7 is more like a film-like gamma curve...call it an S for stupdendous! More tempermental to deal with, but at its best a RICHER feeling experience.

With that said, I would prefer to use the POG Mid, because I prefer its grip shape greatly and think it serves better and more predictably, is a more precise racket, and volleys much greater agility. In general, despite the smaller head and the "older" technology, I feel that it is an easier racket to grasp and handle. The RD-7 is Geometry. The POG Mid, Algebra. Both fundamental to our tennis racket afficionando experience. They are required reading, the RD-7 The Island of the Blue Dolphins, the POG Mid, Mr. Poppers Penguins. That's not an insult. When I think about the POG Mid, I think, crisp and refreshing, FUN to play with. When I think about the RD-7, I think, oh, brother this is gonna be heavy...you know, as in this going to be a HEAVY relationship, an emotional roller-coaster, a book you can love so much, and that can make you feel so much, yet at the same time make you feel the blues so much. You know how Cheers was a fun show to watch, only it kinda wasn't because the overall brightness of the set and lighting was so dark and moody and so much more textured feeling...than say, Three's Company?

Twist to taste...translation, twirl both rackets in your hands to taste.

Of the other rackets on this list, I see their merits, but I do not consider them to be in the same rareified air of these two. To me, the RD-7 and POG Mid will always be my favorite two rackets of all time, yet, to my mind, at least, they are not similar.

They each have their own unique character, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself. RD-7 is like the perfect champagne with the perfect cheese...aged and putrid at the same time. ...just my opinion!

K. Wilson Moose
01-09-2005, 04:39 PM
The DB26MP was a more so crazy spin meister in my view. Flexy in the throat, stiffer in the head, wide open string pattern, soft flex = crazy, LUXURIOUS spin.

Tym, the DB26MP was an excellent frame, but the DB24MP was even flexier, and much better IMHO than the POG Mid in all aspects. I currently use the DB24 MP thanks to my good friend, Steve Quast.

Gaines Hillix
01-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Moose, glad to see you out roaming the woods again! :-) Hey, I'm curious about the DB24. I've never seen one of these. There seem to be a few DB26s around and on e-bay. Neither TW or RacquetTech have the specs on the DB24 in their databases. Seems like the CTS Synergy frames were tapered(thinner at the throat and wider at the head)? What was the difference between the DB24 and 26?

K. Wilson Moose
01-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey Gaines,

Hope your hittin 'em well. The Moose is around, but not as much as when spring brings out the WC rut :).

The DB24 tapers to 24 instead of 26mm for the DB26 CTS (Constant Taper System). It was not produced for very long, and it is hard to find technical info on it, but I have hit with both, and they are both excellent. However, the DB24 seems to have the utmost in spin, controllable power, and stability against big servers and big hitters, at least for me. It is also a service machine.

Too bad that Prince hasn't made it for years. If I find any additional info I will let you know. It is my favorite Prince frame along with the CTS Approach 90. You would probably like them both. The Kennex S and SX use similar technology.

maratonman
01-09-2005, 07:40 PM
I really like this Pole. It is quite interesting. I think you can neither go wrong in the spin potential with neither of these sticks. The RD-7 of Bruguera, Rios and Seles; POG OS of Sabatini, Agassi, Chang ; PT 280 I donīt have in mind any pro player. I think Berasetegui; POG LB of Ferrero, Coria and Nalbandian; PS HPS 6.1 Stretch of Gaudio and Coria. For me the racket with the most spin potential is the Yonex RD-7.

NoBadMojo
01-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I vote for the Snauweart Hi-Ten...14 mains pattern in a large head (like 102)..talk about an open stringbed....woodbridge used this for some while i believe. i think that would qualify in the 20 year range.

AndrewD
01-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Yep, if you're talking spin -slice and top- and exclude the spaghetti strung frames then the Snauwert Hi-Ten 50 tops them all. My brother had one and the feel is so unique he still can't find a frame he likes 8 years later. It was a real dog to serve with, stiff as a board and, unusually, a touch shorter than a standard length racquet but with a nice 100sq head.

I remember using it one day and having a coach pinned to the baseline because of the spin and depth I was getting off the backhand. Of course I was stuffed when I tried to serve with it (arm nearly fell off lol) but its a nice memory of a very unique racquet.

Russell Finch
01-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Nobadmojo

I think it was Woodforde. A few years ago I remember seeing him at Wimbledon with a Wilson drilled with what looked like 12x14 pattern. Huge distances between the strings which he probably got a taste for using the Snauwaert.

Russell Finch
01-10-2005, 12:46 AM
The picture is a bit fuzzy but I think it's actually 12x16

http://members.optushome.com.au/jmirandah/cupwin25.jpg

SteveI
01-10-2005, 01:49 AM
YONEX RDX500 MP. Hard not to hit spin with this stick!

Have a good one all.

Steve

AndrewD
01-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Russell,
Woodforde used, for a very brief time, a Sfida racquet designed so you could string it with the regular string or the kind he used in the Snauwert. Also had his Rossignol (using that when he beat Mac twice in a month then won the US Open with him) and Wilson's specially drilled plus another frame in between the two. Not sure what the model was but I think was a nothing special Snauwert frame.

I know he tried to go to regular stringing at one stage (used standard during an early Kooyong Classic) but just couldnt get used to the difference in feel.

NoBadMojo
01-10-2005, 05:00 AM
i get the woodies mixed up all the time..the red headed woodie used the Hi Ten...that's woodforde i guess...my bad

Larry Baldridge
01-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Jorge--The Yonex and POG are both great!

schange50
01-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Don't know about the HPS 6.1 Stretch. In my hands, the PT 280 produced the most spin...followed by the C10 Pro. The others are overrated, IMHO.

Sonic Srve
01-16-2005, 07:20 PM
1. Spaghetti strung racquets...The king of all spin!!!
2. Power angle
3. Mitt (www.Mittusa.com)
4. Wilson rollers
5. Blackburne (www.blackburneds,com)

gmlasam
01-17-2005, 05:31 AM
I really like this Pole. It is quite interesting. I think you can neither go wrong in the spin potential with neither of these sticks. The RD-7 of Bruguera, Rios and Seles; POG OS of Sabatini, Agassi, Chang ; PT 280 I donīt have in mind any pro player. I think Berasetegui; POG LB of Ferrero, Coria and Nalbandian; PS HPS 6.1 Stretch of Gaudio and Coria. For me the racket with the most spin potential is the Yonex RD-7.
Berasetegui used the head prestege classic.

maratonman
02-17-2005, 05:57 PM
What about the PS 6.0 95?

lacoster
02-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I really like this Pole. It is quite interesting. I think you can neither go wrong in the spin potential with neither of these sticks. The RD-7 of Bruguera, Rios and Seles; POG OS of Sabatini, Agassi, Chang ; PT 280 I don?t have in mind any pro player. I think Berasetegui; POG LB of Ferrero, Coria and Nalbandian; PS HPS 6.1 Stretch of Gaudio and Coria. For me the racket with the most spin potential is the Yonex RD-7.

Seles never used the RD7; she hates anything under 100". But, I have to agree that it is the original "spin doctor," with the POG as a close second. It even says "ultimate spin" on the original Yonex cover for it. It was a great stick as it was the racquet I played with for years growing up in the juniors. It's a real hefty frame that seemed to have a long dwell time on contact, and worked wonders for players with good hands. Andres Gomez, Bruguera, Rios, Mal Washington, Karol Kucera, Sanchez-Vicario, and Navratilova popularized the frame on tours. Now I'm playing with the RDX500MP, which also has good spin potential itself, but much easier to maneuver especially for long 3-setters.
________
Hemp (http://marijuanahemp.com)

Tenny
02-17-2005, 09:06 PM
What about the PS 6.0 95?

Yeah, as a PS 6.0 95-lover, I have a same question. If RD-7 or POG MP is 100, what would be the score of 95? Just curious.

Phil
02-17-2005, 10:53 PM
; PT 280 I donīt have in mind any pro player. I think Berasetegui;

I believe Muster and Guga used the PT 280-I "heard" that Muster, our man Muster, actually had a hand in designing this stick. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

gmlasam
03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
These racquets take my vote for the most spin potential.

L-R: POG mid, Yonex RD-7, POG OS.
http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/spindoctors2a.jpg

it's allegedly WIDE-open 14x18 string pattern is actually packed fairly dense in the middle.

The middle strings of the POG mid are not at all dense, they are rather open, as shown in the photo.

I do agree that the RD-7 is a very strange stick. It is very sensitive to string type and tension compared to the POG. I found the best tension for the RD-7 between 56-60 lbs. Anything above that is like playing with a 2X4 board stick. The RD-7 requires you to hit all out to get it's full spin potential from what I found.

Kirko
03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
The Hi-Ten is the ultimate !

Steve Huff
03-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Even though the rackets listed in the poll were the most popular, I read a review of the Kneissl Tom's Reach Machine that said it was by far the easiest to impart spin with. It had an 18 x 21 string pattern too. The reviewers said that you'd never guess it could produce spin by looking at it, but it could. All mentioned that they could hit kick serves that bounced so much higher than with other rackets. They commented on how much fun it was to just go out and hit crazy top spin and kick serves. From what I remember, they weren't real impresses with its volleys, but on spin alone, it was king.

KOtennis
03-07-2005, 09:50 AM
most spin? it's gotta be the RD-7.

i used to think that the RD-7 was too heavy for me, but after playing with it for the last 2 months, i am LOVING it!
i am a 4.5 player that play mostly doubles. With this baby, i now can generate SO MUCH kick on my kickserves that my opponents are pretty much sitting ducks when i rush the net on my kickserves.

gmlasam
03-07-2005, 12:30 PM
most spin? it's gotta be the RD-7.

i used to think that the RD-7 was too heavy for me, but after playing with it for the last 2 months, i am LOVING it!
i am a 4.5 player that play mostly doubles. With this baby, i now can generate SO MUCH kick on my kickserves that my opponents are pretty much sitting ducks when i rush the net on my kickserves.
What string and tension do you use with your RD-7? I have mine strung at 60 lbs with Prince syn. gut original. I just played with today, and it is really a spin machine, but my POG mid is just a little more manuverble at the net. I enjoy playing the RD-7 also. Large sweetspot and lots of pop for a 95 sq. head size. Good thing I stocked up on the RD-7, have 8 of them, 2 I use, the rest are unstrung in unused brand new condition. ;)

bookem
03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
gmlaslam...

I still play with the Spinmeister, going on.... jeez... 9 years? I have TNT2 PP17 at 60# main with 57# crosses (the 5% rule)... Talk about a great cupping feeling... Despite the propensity for breakage, I find I get about 2-3 weeks of good play per string before replacement.

You have EIGHT!!! As a mere mortal, I have 4 playing sticks and 2 brand new in reserve. Perhaps we can make a deal for 1 of yours :)?

gmlasam
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Perhaps we can make a deal for 1 of yours :)?
Hheheheh....I think I'll past. I'm really a pack rat...just ask my wife, and I always regret selling my racquets. I once sold a brand new Super RD tour 90, and I regreted it to this day.

bookem
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh well... at least I tried...:lol: Care to share your Fairway secret source instead?

gmlasam
03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh well... at least I tried...:lol: Care to share your Fairway secret source instead?
Hheheh...I would like to post the fairway, but TW will end up deleting the post. I'll give you a hint though. The pro shop is located in Los Angeles, and name starts with Racket. That is all I can say ;)

bookem
03-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Hehehe... it wouldn't happen to be near Garden, would it? BTW, I'm nowhere near the CONUS so it's not as if it'll take my business away from TW... I just need some stock...

KOtennis
03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
What string and tension do you use with your RD-7? I have mine strung at 60 lbs with Prince syn. gut original. I just played with today, and it is really a spin machine, but my POG mid is just a little more manuverble at the net. I enjoy playing the RD-7 also. Large sweetspot and lots of pop for a 95 sq. head size. Good thing I stocked up on the RD-7, have 8 of them, 2 I use, the rest are unstrung in unused brand new condition. ;)
i use Prince 17 guage. even more spin :)
at 58/56.
u have EIGHT? i thought i was lucky to get 3, two i just bought recently.

i love the way i can FEEL the ball before it leave my racquet. I know exactly where the ball is going and with how much spin. even when they are going out.

tried the RDX 500 mp for 2 weeks, didnt like it..... nice racquet, but i just didnt like it. probably too stiff for me. i even added lead tape to make it the same weight as the RD-7