PDA

View Full Version : Is monte carlo unwatchable for everyone else?

guedoguedo
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Cant see the ball at all...for crying out loud. Im sure there is something they could have done to make this better. Like have cameras CLOSER TO THE COURT?!??!?

Feņa14
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Tbh I couldn't see the ball at Indian Wells and Miami (the near court was ok but after it was sent back over the net your guess was as good as mine) yet had no problem seeing the ball on the red clay today lol.. I guess it must be something to do with where you are located, eye sight, and maybe even the quality of TV you are watching on.

I found that when I watched on a smaller tv it was actually easier to see than my 42'' main one, strange.

Chauvalito
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I have atp masters series tv and the ball is difficult to see on the larger central court. The smaller courts are much more visible as the cameras are much closer.

Otherwise I am a huge fan of the service.

Lefty5
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
i have a 50" Plasma Tennis Channel in HD and I can't see a darn thing except two mosquitos running back and forth with rackets. impossible.

firefox
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
same here. Video quality is terrible. It's very difficult to see the ball, and the full court camera location is way too high!
I don't remember the video quality being so poor last year.

Miami was not much better.

bluescreen
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
i can see the ball when they do a close up on the server. hey, thats a start.

brownie808
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
i guess im not alone. if im not going to be able to see the ball the whole tournament, im probably not gonna watch at all haha.

like watching some youtube tennis videos for crying out loud.

Challenger
04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's pretty unwatchable. I could only tolerate a grand total of 3 games before giving up. Sigh.

I don't recall Miami being that bad though...

BreakPoint
04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
There's already a thread on this problem: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=193194

DNShade
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I've noticed this as well. Great coverage just hard to watch.

With a 70" Sony top of the line HD home theater I'm having the same problem. The camera placement and the color - not to mention the horrible video quality - seem to be at fault. I've found that playing with the the contrast - making it really high and crushing the blacks - seems to help the ball stand out. Pain in the *** though. Where the hell is HD when you need it.

ThePro101
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Cant see the ball at all...for crying out loud.

Phew - I'm not alone... I actually called a friend to make sure it wasn't my tv settings, and it wasn't :(

DNShade
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
It seems TTC signal is highly compressed - so that's a big part of the problem as well.

Sentinel
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I am able to make out the ball a bit, but what's worse is the players look ant-sized, and that spoils the fun totally. And sometimes they move the camera back for a panoramic view and that makes it even worse :-(

CyBorg
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
We've had the flashing puck in hockey. Sometime, some day maybe a flashing green tennis ball.

Arbartrator
04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
yea it kind of ****es me off is the french open going to be like this too?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 12:47 AM
same here. Video quality is terrible. It's very difficult to see the ball, and the full court camera location is way too high!
I don't remember the video quality being so poor last year.

Miami was not much better.
I think you are right. I don't remember this problem from last year. They may have moved the cameras up for some reason or something.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm getting used to it. I got a big tv so that helps. Too bad though they can't do better than this. :(

Djokovicfan4life
04-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Indian Wells was horrible too, what's up with that, anyway?

fastdunn
04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Monte Carlo always seems to be a more of problem. clay color and the type of establishment they have seem to make camera work much harder. Rome and Roland Garros are a little better I think.

cknobman
04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
The feed from TTC is so bad that I would almost rather hear a radio broadcast.

How many f'ing years is it going to take the networks to realize people dont want a mile high view of the damn court and that the majority would rather see the camera angle from on court!!! Really does anyone at all from these damn networks that broadcast ever actually watch???

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Monte Carlo always seems to be a more of problem. clay color and the type of establishment they have seem to make camera work much harder. Rome and Roland Garros are a little better I think.
I don't care what color the courts are. A mile high view is going to make it tough to see anywhere.

gj011
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't care what color the courts are. A mile high view is going to make it tough to see anywhere.

I agree. The problem is camera angle and distance, rather than the colour.

El Diablo
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
My wife and I laughed as we watched....it was like watching Marcel Marceau play tennis. The court color surely is the largest part of the problem, though a high camera angle doesn't help.

fastdunn
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
The feed from TTC is so bad that I would almost rather hear a radio broadcast.

How many f'ing years is it going to take the networks to realize people dont want a mile high view of the damn court and that the majority would rather see the camera angle from on court!!! Really does anyone at all from these damn networks that broadcast ever actually watch???

as i recall, there are certain reasons why networks couldn't find good location to place their camera at monte carlo. monte carlo court has certain setup that prevent broadcasting people from placing their camera at ideal places. i could be wrong here. but i've been watching tennis over 20 years and monte carlo always has been pretty bad tourney to watch on tv.

Moose Malloy
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
^fastdunn is right, this isn't a clay thing, but a Monte Carlo thing. Just search for past threads, every year someone complains about the picture quality in Monte Carlo, but then the ball visibility problems magically disappear during Rome & Hamburg. I have noticed its easier to see the ball on cloudy days than sunny days in Monte Carlo.

add this to long list of reasons the ATP tried to downgrade its masters series status. Federer recently complained how much of a mess crowd control was there compared to any other event he plays.

You do realize networks are at the mercy of the tournament? they can't just put their cameras wherever the hell they want.

gj011
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Some of the people here react like they never watched a single tennis match on clay before. :shock:

cknobman
04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
as i recall, there are certain reasons why networks couldn't find good location to place their camera at monte carlo. monte carlo court has certain setup that prevent broadcasting people from placing their camera at ideal places. i could be wrong here. but i've been watching tennis over 20 years and monte carlo always has been pretty bad tourney to watch on tv.

This isnt correct. I was just watching a monte carlo match where the camera spent 2 entire service games on the court right behind the server. It has little to nothing to do with being unable to find low camera angles at monte carlo and I have yet to see a tournament regardless of location where they actually use the low camera angles for more than a few shots. The cameras are there they just dont use them for continous play shooting its almost like they only use those angles for instant slow mo replays. That is how you know the camera angles are there in the first place because every time they show an instant replay its from a low good angle position where you can clearly see the ball. Why not use this for the continuous shots as well??????????

christos_liaskos
04-23-2008, 06:59 AM
the angle doesnt bothe me, there are some other tournaments which are much worse. I find seeing the ball is the big problem. I am watching on a 21inch tv. I think when it is sunny it makes it almost impossible to see - some matches at indian wells werent worth watching. I have found that making the room you are sitting in as dark as possible helps. Not just getting the glare of the sun off the tv screen, actually making the room really dark makes it easier to see the ball

Blade0324
04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah it is indeed pretty bad. My thoughts are this though. I usually don't watch the ball much when watching tennis I watch the players and usually I choose one and watch for a while and then the other. Most often I watch the player in the near court. Ultimately you can get a great sense of the players strokes and footwork by watching them and not the ball. That is really the only reason that I can tolerate the poor quality at Monte Carlo. I have to echo what others have said in that it would be most ideal to show play from at or very near court level from behind the players. this would be much more entertaining to watch.