PDA

View Full Version : Super Open String Pattern?

Jack & Coke
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone here ever take a spare racquet and intentionally mis-string it so that you string every 3rd hole.. thereby creating a really open pattern?

One of my friends did this once and said he got crazy spin, but had difficulty with control and string endurance.

I wonder what would happen if you took an 18 x 20, and skipped 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 for the mains, and did a similar pattern for the crosses.. creating a 6 x 7.

String it up tight with a 16g poly and ?

Anyway, just brainstorming for fun.. :)

scotus
04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Why don't you just get a POG Mid or CTS Approach?

I think those racquets with 14 mains are as open as you can get without compromising your control.

0d1n
04-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I don't really like super open string patterns. I have a few Vantage customs 100 inch 16x19 and I feel a loss of directional control sometimes even with those (due to the open string pattern). I didn't try them yet with full co-poly which will probably make them better, but I still prefer medium open patterns or even dense ones to "super open" ones.
I think that the 16x20 pattern found on the Fischer Pro #1 series is the best thing since slice bread...it has 16 mains for PLENTY of spin, but it also has 20 crosses there to make sure your directional control doesn't suffer. Good thinking IMO ;)

Loco4Tennis
04-22-2008, 03:03 AM
yeah i tried this with a spare, just to see
like mentioned, control was ify, but spin was notisable

bsandy
04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I demoed a ti.s10 with only 14 mains. The spin was incredible.

. . . Bud

martin
06-04-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't really like super open string patterns. I have a few Vantage customs 100 inch 16x19 and I feel a loss of directional control sometimes even with those (due to the open string pattern). I didn't try them yet with full co-poly which will probably make them better, but I still prefer medium open patterns or even dense ones to "super open" ones.
I think that the 16x20 pattern found on the Fischer Pro #1 series is the best thing since slice bread...it has 16 mains for PLENTY of spin, but it also has 20 crosses there to make sure your directional control doesn't suffer. Good thinking IMO ;)

I had the same experience with the rds003. The stringbed was too open and felt i lost directional control.
I don't know if you ever played with the rds003 but compared vs the vantage would you say both stringbeds felt the same??

I also played with apd and pd but even though it has a 16 x 19 pattern with 100 headsize i didn't feel the stringbed was too open.

How did the stringbed of the vantage 100 compare with the pd or apc??

origmarm
06-04-2010, 06:08 AM
I think it was one of the woodies that had a very open patterned racquet. Something like 12*16 or similar. They were some shots of it on TW a while back. He use a Wilson drilled with this for a while. Before that a Snauwert HiTen which is similar. There was also a Vortex racquet a while back.

I found this thread about playtesting the two very open patterns that I remembered, interesting stuff:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=300340

As an aside Bud posted a pic of the HiTen:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/K_K_Bucket/P1010057.jpg?t=1247106665
in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=273226

schenkelini
06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I play with the Vortex ES116. I find the open pattern (once I got used to it) a big enhancement to my game. The spin on serve, forehand topsping, and backhand under spin is amazing.

Pwned
06-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Why don't you just get a POG Mid or CTS Approach?

I think those racquets with 14 mains are as open as you can get without compromising your control.

The sweet spot area is still fairly dense. It's an open pattern but not as open as the 14x18 would make you believe. Same goes for the Precision 730.