PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Mid-which is similar,MP or PRO Microgel?

Japanese Maple
04-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Presently demoing Head Microgel Mid and Pro- which Head racquet is more like the Head mid, mp or pro. I was surprized that Head did not make the Microgel Pro with a dense string pattern, since its weight is similar to the Microgel Mid and put the open string pattern on the lighter Mid-plus racquet.

0d1n
04-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Lol. They can't do it right can they ?? People have been asking for an open pattern prestige for years...and now that Head comes up with it, there are others who say .... why can't it be 18x20 ??
Well...there IS the MP which is 18x20 and it's pretty similar to the pro in weight and balance. The weight is off by 5 grams in theory (unstrung specs) but the strings will be heavier for the MP (dense pattern), and adding 5 grams to a frame is not THAT difficult is it ??
Also ... the weight of the PRO is exactly in the middle between mid and MP...it's not identical to the mid (again .... in theory ....and in unstrung specs).
I guess one just can't make everybody happy ...

Japanese Maple
04-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Od1-good point about the dense string pattern will weigh more but you didn't answer my question about which racquet is most similar in playing characteristics to the Prestige Mid-Prestige Pro or Mid plus? People who like Head do so for many reasons but one major reasons is the dense string pattern for control and predictable responses. No problem with Head introducing an "open pattern", just would like to have seen it on the lighter racquet. Our the Prestiges still made in Austria or US?

0d1n
04-22-2008, 05:02 AM
The prestiges are made in china like all other head rackets. Only a limited quantity are still produced in Austria and those are given to sponsored pros for free...you can't buy them in a regular store.
I don't have an answer to your question, I haven't tried any of the new MG Prestiges...but if you like the mid so much ... just get the mid. Head size is one of the least important racket specs IMO.

Gee
04-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Od1-good point about the dense string pattern will weigh more but you didn't answer my question about which racquet is most similar in playing characteristics to the Prestige Mid-Prestige Pro or Mid plus? People who like Head do so for many reasons but one major reasons is the dense string pattern for control and predictable responses. No problem with Head introducing an "open pattern", just would like to have seen it on the lighter racquet. Our the Prestiges still made in Austria or US?
The Midplus plays more similar to the Mid because of the denser string pattern but the Mid has a more stable feel and slightly better control. It is also a bit more demanding frame than the MP. Spin shots are easier to hit with the MP. You can serve very well with both versions of the Prestiges.

If you wish a lighter open pattern frame than the MG Prestige Pro you always can try the MG Radical Pro. BTW I demoed all frames mentioned above so I know where I 'm talking about.

Japanese Maple
04-22-2008, 05:10 AM
The prestiges are made in china like all other head rackets. Only a limited quantity are still produced in Austria and those are given to sponsored pros for free...you can't buy them in a regular store.
I don't have an answer to your question, I haven't tried any of the new MG Prestiges...but if you like the mid so much ... just get the mid. Head size is one of the least important racket specs IMO.
Head size affects power and control-more power and less control when compared to a smaller head size. I do like the Prestige Mid, but I am concerned about the lack of power on the bh, although the demo racquet is tightly strung-I would string it looser with gut in the mains and polyester in the cross. Cosmetics of the racquet are outstanding!

Japanese Maple
04-22-2008, 05:14 AM
The Midplus plays more similar to the Mid because of the denser string pattern.

If you wish a lighter open pattern frame than the MG Prestige Pro you always can try the MG Radical Pro.
Actually, I want a heavier racquet like the mid with the dense string pattern. Since I can easily add lead tape to the Mid-plus to increase the weight, I could replicate the mid. I am leaning towards the mid prestige with a looser string bed to get a little extra pop on the bh. Gut and polyester combo should give me more spin capabilities too.

Gee
04-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Actually, I want a heavier racquet like the mid with the dense string pattern. Since I can easily add lead tape to the Mid-plus to increase the weight, I could replicate the mid. I am leaning towards the mid prestige with a looser string bed to get a little extra pop on the bh. Gut and polyester combo should give me more spin capabilities too.
I demoed the Mid and MP side by side. Although I liked the stability and control of the Mid more than the MP I choosed to buy the MP and than customize it to the specs of the Mid. First I tried this estabilish by adding lead at 10 and 2 (3 grams each) and replacing the Hydrosorb grip with a Babolat leather grip so that the weight of the frame became 355 grams. But through this I missed the mobility at the net so I removed the lead again. Without the lead (and thus only a leather grip plus overgrip as a customization) it is now 349 grams. I still have enough power and I can react better at reflex volleys and smashes due to the mobility (low swingweight) of this frame.

As I read your remarks I would definetely try the MP as spin shots are easier with it.

Japanese Maple
04-22-2008, 05:57 AM
I demoed the Mid and MP side by side. Although I liked the stability and control of the Mid more than the MP I choosed to buy the MP and than customize it to the specs of the Mid. First I tried this estabilish by adding lead at 10 and 2 (3 grams each) and replacing the Hydrosorb grip with a Babolat leather grip so that the weight of the frame became 355 grams. But through this I missed the mobility at the net so I removed the lead again. Without the lead (and thus only a leather grip plus overgrip as a customization) it is now 349 grams. I still have enough power and I can react better at reflex volleys and smashes due to the mobility (low swingweight) of this frame.

As I read your remarks I would definetely try the MP as spin shots are easier with it.

gee-thanks for your feedback. I am definitely going to demo the mid-plus and compare to the mid. I am leaning towards the mid mainly due to smaller head size. I think if I lower the tension from the current demo racquet, along with using gut in the mains and Big bang in the crosses, I will get more pop on my one-handed bh and more spin capablity which will make it perfect. Awesome paint job!

Gee
04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
gee-thanks for your feedback. I am definitely going to demo the mid-plus and compare to the mid. I am leaning towards the mid mainly due to smaller head size. I think if I lower the tension from the current demo racquet, along with using gut in the mains and Big bang in the crosses, I will get more pop on my one-handed bh and more spin capablity which will make it perfect. Awesome paint job!
Lowering the string tension will also help to cup the ball more and through this the dwell time increases. On the contrary it will decrease the precision of your shots but maybe you 'll hardly notice this at a slightly lower tension than you are used to.
Good luck with demoing the Prestiges and please let know your further expierences.