PDA

View Full Version : Poly and High School Kid???

Homey
04-22-2008, 05:46 AM
I have been stringing a high school kids racket for him for awhile now. He usually plays with some cheaper Wilson string. I think it is either Sensation or Stamina or something like that.

He didn't have any Wilson string the other day, so I strung his racket with Gamma Stinger 16/17. It is a hybrid, that has Polyester for the mains, and multifilament for the crosses.

I personally love the way the Gamma Stinger plays.

However, I was told by his coach that he went to play with the new string at a tournament, and played horribly!! He double faulted all over the place. All of his serves kept going 2 or 3 feet long. The HS kid claimed it was the string. He said he was swinging the way he always does, but the ball would NOT stay in, especially on the serves.

He plays with a Technifibre 305 racket or something like that. He is NOT a power player. He is more of a loopy, medium racket speed type player.

I checked my stringing machine to make sure nothing was out of adjustment.

Do you think his problem was the strings??? Or do you think he was playing bad and blamed it on the strings???
I am new to Poly, but personally love the way it plays.
Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

Nitro
04-22-2008, 05:56 AM
It sounds to me like this is a somewhat mid level player so I don't think it would be unfair to assume that a lot of this is him having a bad day and not being used to a new string. A lot of high school kids have that loopy sort of playing style. They really need a more powerful, softer string. He isn't going to knock the snot out of a good multifillament so I'd stick with that.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
04-22-2008, 06:09 AM
i am on a high school tennis team and i use big ace full string bed, and i love it! its was the best change i made going to poly. the polys should have actually helped the ball get in because on polys, the put more spin on the ball, letting u hit really hard, and it will still go in. i havent tried gamma stinger but i know that there should have been a reverse effect from what he did!

Homey
04-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Kfactor: That is exactly what I thought. When I switched to Poly it gave me even more bite and topspin. I love it, because you can swing harder and the ball still stays in.

That is why I don't understand why this kid had trouble keeping the serve in.

Nitro
04-22-2008, 07:04 AM
The poly has a deader feeling than a syn gut or multi. My guess is that your hs player couldn't get used to the feel. I personally think that poly would be better for players that hit the ball harder than he does.

Loco4Tennis
04-22-2008, 07:16 AM
definately a bad move to go play a tournament or any important game with unknown strings
as for what could have caused the issue, string could very well make people play differenttly
how he was hitting, only he knows, he could have been trying to compensate for the less power by hitting up more or what ever

10nistennis
04-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Yea, i was wondering the same thing as Kfactor, that polys would actually have helped the kid.

Stan
04-22-2008, 07:30 AM
In this scenario the problem is the kid taking the racquet to someone who did not carry inventory of what he needed.

To randomly substitute a poly (worse yet, one from Gamma!) for a multi is a very poor choice, regardless of how it plays for you. From a construction standpoint there are simply too many differences which will yield a completely different feel and performance. To spring this on an unsuspecting high school kid is just insane practice. The kid likely has no idea about string construction and looks to the stringer to provide competent advice and assistance. What he received in this case was much less than competent. He should be given a free restringing with a string of his choice. Of course, if he was smart, he would immediately find a new stringer...one with an appropriate inventory and the knowledge & experience to properly match product to his style of play and equipment.

Homey
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Stan: It is not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. Why do you have to try to flame me like that. I was looking for VALUABLE advice on what could have been the problem, and you want to try to just run me in the ground. I don't understand people like you.

I was already planning on restringing for him free of charge, but that I did not mention that because that is not the problem.

How is a player to learn what strings he likes or doesn't like if he only plays with ONE string his whole life?? You have to try different strings to learn what works for your game and what doesn't.
To expect a person to play with one string his whole life is ludicrous!!!

I was looking for valuable usable information about what could have been the problem, which I got from everybody except you Stan. When I need some HATEFUL USELESS information I will be glad to get in contact with you.

k_liu
04-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Strings are like racquets... they feel different to each of us. Did you tell the kid you changed strings on him? Was he able to hit with it prior to the tournament?

JRstriker12
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
In this scenario the problem is the kid taking the racquet to someone who did not carry inventory of what he needed.

To randomly substitute a poly (worse yet, one from Gamma!) for a multi is a very poor choice, regardless of how it plays for you. From a construction standpoint there are simply too many differences which will yield a completely different feel and performance. To spring this on an unsuspecting high school kid is just insane practice. The kid likely has no idea about string construction and looks to the stringer to provide competent advice and assistance. What he received in this case was much less than competent. He should be given a free restringing with a string of his choice. Of course, if he was smart, he would immediately find a new stringer...one with an appropriate inventory and the knowledge & experience to properly match product to his style of play and equipment.

I don't think Stan is Flaming - I think he's sort of right. Sounds like constructive criticism to me.

It is a poor chooce to totally change the type of strings on someone - going from a synth gut or multi to a poly/hybrid produces a big change in feel. I wouldn't go into a tournament with poly strings if I haven't played with them for a good bit of time and felt comfortable with them.

Honestly, I'd be ticked if I came in and asked the stringer for brand X and he gave me brand x and z, which I didn't ask for and in a configuration that I don't usually play with. Did you even ask the kid if he was okay with your substitution before you strung it up?

Stan
04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Homey,

No flaming intended. Just stating the facts as I see them.

You, indicate that what I say is accurate, but you just don't appreciate the straight forward presentation. Understood, but direct comments are just how I communicate.

I agree that to expect a person to play with one string for his entire life is ludicrous. You are absolutely correct. However, it is more ludicrous to make a change as dramatic as the one you made in the middle of a season. There is a time and a place for players to experiment with different string types and tensions. The scenario you presented was neither the time nor the place. A competent stringer would have understood this and been sensitive to it.

I am being direct with you with the hope to make an impact and help you learn. You came to this forum to learn and I am taking valuable time to teach you.

Here's a free pointer for you. When a player is going from a multi to a poly you might want to introduce them to polys as a hybrid which will serve as a more comfortable transition into the world of full poly setups.

Homey
04-22-2008, 08:47 AM
If you read my initial post, you will see that Gamma Stinger is a Hybrid. It is Poly mains and a multifilament cross for a softer feel.

The player had the racket for a couple of days before the one day tournament, but chose not to hit with it until the tournament.

I explained to him the different kinds of strings that I had in stock. I did emphasize however, that I liked how the Poly hybrid played compared to other strings. He said "I don't care what string you put in it." So I went with the hybrid.

Sorry, I overreacted when I felt like I was attacked. I am looking for information on this message board, I just think it is easier to get across your information in a non-attacking format. I just feel like people will listen more if we express ourselves in pleasant tone versus a hateful tone.

I am sorry if I overreacted.

Nitro
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
If I were you, I would stick with a multi for hs kids unless you are specifically asked. Poly is not an easy substitute for a multi.

nickb
04-22-2008, 04:13 PM
If you read my initial post, you will see that Gamma Stinger is a Hybrid. It is Poly mains and a multifilament cross for a softer feel.

The player had the racket for a couple of days before the one day tournament, but chose not to hit with it until the tournament.

I explained to him the different kinds of strings that I had in stock. I did emphasize however, that I liked how the Poly hybrid played compared to other strings. He said "I don't care what string you put in it." So I went with the hybrid.

Sorry, I overreacted when I felt like I was attacked. I am looking for information on this message board, I just think it is easier to get across your information in a non-attacking format. I just feel like people will listen more if we express ourselves in pleasant tone versus a hateful tone.

I am sorry if I overreacted.

I never EVER put poly in a customer’s racket unless they ask for it. If a customer wants something more durable I explain how poly plays and the advantages/disadvantages, again if they want more spin/control/less power I will talk about poly with them. If someone says "I don’t care what you put in" you should always just give them a good synthetic gut...something like Gosen OG Micro. I treat multi's/gut like I do poly...if a customer wants something softer, more powerful or have tennis elbow I talk about multis with them. The standard string put in most peoples rackets will be and should be synthetic gut strung at mid tension, tighter if they want more control. If they like the string they just broke then always try to give them that string or something very similar.

What you did was irresponsible. If you were stringing poly for a hard hitter then fine but a high school kid that plays with soft strings?

Never choose strings for your customers based on what you like.

Nick

Zhou
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I never EVER put poly in a customerís racket unless they ask for it. If a customer wants something more durable I explain how poly plays and the advantages/disadvantages, again if they want more spin/control/less power I will talk about poly with them. If someone says "I donít care what you put in" you should always just give them a good synthetic gut...something like Gosen OG Micro. I treat multi's/gut like I do poly...if a customer wants something softer, more powerful or have tennis elbow I talk about multis with them. The standard string put in most peoples rackets will be and should be synthetic gut strung at mid tension, tighter if they want more control. If they like the string they just broke then always try to give them that string or something very similar.

What you did was irresponsible. If you were stringing poly for a hard hitter then fine but a high school kid that plays with soft strings?

Never choose strings for your customers based on what you like.

Nick

I agree, when I am going to string for my friends, I ask them what they like and what they currently use.

TennisNewbie85
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM

should have at least switched it around to give him better feel for the ball since that is what he is normally use to. i am sorry to say, but i agree with the concensus with everyone on this thread. you shouldnt have given him poly

logansc
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Well to be honest I'm going to disagree with all the people who are saying the stringer is in the wrong, he had an opportunity to open the kid's horizons and told him to go hit with it before the match, he chose not to AND to be fair he loses all ability to complain when he says " I don't care what you put in it." So Homey next time kid shows up without his string ask him to pick it out that way people don't call you irresponsible and such.

LanEvo
04-23-2008, 03:03 PM
id say its the strings but i dont think its that big of a deal i can practically play with any strings just give me a few hits to warm up with it

iplaybetter
04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
in theory it be the oposit problem

itsstephenyo
04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Yea, it's a big switch. Changing strings definitely negatively affected him.

Quick story: I had a friend who wanted his racquet strung with blue/black strings. Didn't care what strings they were. Just that they had colors. He was using a multi and the only blue strings I had were Poly Polar. He ended up liking it, though.

Nitro
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Well to be honest I'm going to disagree with all the people who are saying the stringer is in the wrong, he had an opportunity to open the kid's horizons and told him to go hit with it before the match, he chose not to AND to be fair he loses all ability to complain when he says " I don't care what you put in it." So Homey next time kid shows up without his string ask him to pick it out that way people don't call you irresponsible and such.

People in service industries earn that name because they do what they are asked to do, not to expand people's horizon's for them.

miniRafa386
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
i also string for my high school team. i have a reel of some crappy Forten string and use it for them. they dont care. obviously, for the better players, our top 5 including myself, ill throw in somethin better, but for everyone else, forten tournament nylon!

going from sensation or stamina to a poly is a big, BIG switch, IMO at least.

BUT, the kid said he didnt care, so therefore, it is his fault that he didnt care, other wise, if he did care, he would have said 'put something similar in'.

so its not your fault.

pow
04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Poly is fine, I used it all of high school; so have all my friends... we're fine, we wouldn't have changed a thing.

tsmcauliffe
04-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I personally like the feel of poly, and I grew up on poly and can't stand anything else unless, it is a poly/gut job, but I'm not rich. But going from multi to poly is just crazy. Just stay with the multi for the kid.

LL BB Ace 18g for the win!

nickb
04-24-2008, 02:58 AM

How is it opening the kids horizon?

Poly is not for everyone....on this board its talked about loads but most people still use synthetic gut....people have different preferences...just because the OP likes poly does not mean his customers will. As stringers we are not there to "open peoples horizons" unless a customer asks for something different and wants/likes the change we are making.

Nitro
04-24-2008, 04:16 AM
BUT, the kid said he didnt care, so therefore, it is his fault that he didnt care, other wise, if he did care, he would have said 'put something similar in'.

Thats simply incorrect, the mark of a good stringer is having enough knowledge of string and stringing to know what you can and can't put in someone's racquet unless you are explicitly asked. "I don't know" is not an implicit code for do whatever you want.

logansc
04-24-2008, 06:53 AM
OK so it may not be expanding his horizon's but when you voluntarily say I don't care you lose your right to complain afterwards. It's called being accountable. So the string gave him poly and he played bad. Lesson learned for next time, make sure if you want to be consistent bring your brand of string to the stringer or ask for a similar replacement.

nickb
04-24-2008, 07:00 AM
OK so it may not be expanding his horizon's but when you voluntarily say I don't care you lose your right to complain afterwards. It's called being accountable. So the string gave him poly and he played bad. Lesson learned for next time, make sure if you want to be consistent bring your brand of string to the stringer or ask for a similar replacement.

No your wrong (again).

A stringer should have knowledge of different string types and how they affect different player’s games. If in doubt of what someone would like a stringer should always put synthetic gut or a multi in at mid tension. Poly should only be strung if ASKED for or if a player wants something more durable/is a big hitter. Poly can cause tennis elbow/shoulder pain…its not a good match for most club players.

JRstriker12
04-24-2008, 07:03 AM

When I'm not sure, I depend on my stringer to give me direction. Instead of just throwing in what "you" like - a stringer should ask about the player's preference for things like comfort, feel, stiffness, and style of play to determine what they should play with.

If the kid is like -"I don't care" - which probably means "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" and he's been playing with synth gut or a multi - odds are that you should just use another brand of synth gut or multi.

Nitro
04-24-2008, 08:52 AM

It just doesn't work that way. A stringer cannot just put in anything he pleases just because he was given an open invitation to do so. Quite frankly, it demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the importance of string and its properties.

raiden031
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM

I agree that the kid has no right to complain because he told the stringer he didn't care. If he truly didn't care, then he wouldn't be complaining and would realize that its his own fault for being indecisive. And while I don't think the stringer should be blamed, I do think that it was a dumb move on his part to make that change and put himself in this situation.

logansc
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Before you say I'm wrong let's review the situation. In the OP's original post he said "I've been stringing a high school kid's racquet for a while now." JR obviously if he had experience with this particular player then he should have a general idea on how he plays. Nick I agree with you BUT polyester is not toxic and one match will not give you arm problems esp if it is a high school kid. Secondly, I don't care does not equal I'm not sure or I don't know, an I don't know response would then initiate a discussion about the different options. And to me it sounded like the OP did make an informed decision. First off Gamma stinger is NOT a full poly string job, it is a hybrid with Syn. Gut crosses. Second of all a tennis match at the high school level is not like a 7 point tie break. You can have time to adjust to the string. Sounds to me like the kid is looking for an excuse for poor play. So as I said, lesson learned for next time for the OP, but I still believe that as an almost voting age adult, if you say I don't care then you are giving your consent for whatever you get.

Pusher
04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Before you say I'm wrong let's review the situation. In the OP's original post he said "I've been stringing a high school kid's racquet for a while now." JR obviously if he had experience with this particular player then he should have a general idea on how he plays. Nick I agree with you BUT polyester is not toxic and one match will not give you arm problems esp if it is a high school kid. Secondly, I don't care does not equal I'm not sure or I don't know, an I don't know response would then initiate a discussion about the different options. And to me it sounded like the OP did make an informed decision. First off Gamma stinger is NOT a full poly string job, it is a hybrid with Syn. Gut crosses. Second of all a tennis match at the high school level is not like a 7 point tie break. You can have time to adjust to the string. Sounds to me like the kid is looking for an excuse for poor play. So as I said, lesson learned for next time for the OP, but I still believe that as an almost voting age adult, if you say I don't care then you are giving your consent for whatever you get.

I agree. A kid comes to me for stringing and says put anything on it then that is what he gets. But I don't charge for anything except for the string-and most times i give them the string as well.

JRstriker12
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM

If you read the OP's post - he said he strung it with what he (the OP) likes - not what would suit the kid's game. The obvious choice would have been a string that very similar to what he used before (different brand, same type).

Also, a lesson in customer service. A lot of time when people say "I don't care" that means "I don't know." People have a hard time swallowing thier pride to admit that they don't know, so they rather act like they don't care when they really do. If someone said "I don't care" and you string up what you like, then you open yourself up to the sort of complaint that the OP received from the high-school kid and his coach. If he strung this guy up with a similar string to what he used to use, then the kid really can't come back and complain.

Nitro
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree. A kid comes to me for stringing and says put anything on it then that is what he gets. But I don't charge for anything except for the string-and most times i give them the string as well.

If a kid says to put "whatever" you want on his racquet its because he doesn't know what he wants. If you don't understand that then you have no business stringing racquets for other people.

racingdad23
04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Homey, There is really nothing I can add that already hasnt been said about the string choice but from a curiosity standpoint what school does this player play for? I've only seen Technifibre used by one junior in Oklahoma and we are well traveled in USTA and high school circles. What part of the state are you from?

logansc
04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
JR I see your point, but let's be honest, that's really silly for people to act that way. I have years of customer service experience and never once has a customer told me I don't care when it pertains to something they really care about. The stringer suggested to go hit and try it out before hand and he didn't, thus he must take responsibility for the choice. I mean it sounds like this is something where we are going to have to agree to disagree. The kid learns a tough lesson, the stringer also because he may lose the business, but in reality we all know this is a maturity issue with the high school kid. He played poorly and chose to blame it on his equipment because the excuse was available to him. I would have more belief in an equipment argument if his shots were landing short and he hurt his arm because of it because those are the drawbacks of a polyester string and the most likely shortcomings when switching to poly.
Anyway I understand where all of you are coming from I just find it hard to believe that everyone is willing to flame the OP when I believe just as much fault lies with the kid, sorry but that's just my opinion.

JRstriker12
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
JR I see your point, but let's be honest, that's really silly for people to act that way. I have years of customer service experience and never once has a customer told me I don't care when it pertains to something they really care about. The stringer suggested to go hit and try it out before hand and he didn't, thus he must take responsibility for the choice. I mean it sounds like this is something where we are going to have to agree to disagree. The kid learns a tough lesson, the stringer also because he may lose the business, but in reality we all know this is a maturity issue with the high school kid. He played poorly and chose to blame it on his equipment because the excuse was available to him. I would have more belief in an equipment argument if his shots were landing short and he hurt his arm because of it because those are the drawbacks of a polyester string and the most likely shortcomings when switching to poly.
Anyway I understand where all of you are coming from I just find it hard to believe that everyone is willing to flame the OP when I believe just as much fault lies with the kid, sorry but that's just my opinion.

That's cool. I can see where you are coming from too.

Pusher
04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
If a kid says to put "whatever" you want on his racquet its because he doesn't know what he wants. If you don't understand that then you have no business stringing racquets for other people.

No, some people just don't really care. They're not equipment freaks.

Maybe its because I do it for free but I'll consider your advice and i might tell the kid to pony up about 40$-$50 and get it strung by somebody that will give them a professional consultation. I don't think the kid would be too happy.

Nitro
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
No, some people just don't really care. They're not equipment freaks.

Maybe its because I do it for free but I'll consider your advice and i might tell the kid to pony up about 40$-$50 and get it strung by somebody that will give them a professional consultation. I don't think the kid would be too happy.

Its not an issue of caring. People in a service industry have an obligation to provide the best product possible tot heir customer. You can't sell someone the best string job for them if they don't know what that is and you don't care. The OP didn't commit a horrible crime by not pressing his customer, but there can be no question that any stringer has an obligation to help the customer choose the best string for them, even if they don't know walking in.