PDA

View Full Version : My theory of why Nadal gets steamrolled.

flyer
04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
I think we all know what Im talking about, those tournaments when Nadal is working his way through the draw and suddenly he gets sholloped 63 61 or something and is just completely out played. This used to bother me thinking "hes the world number two he shouldnt get beat like that," then I developed my theory: when Nadal loses it is almost always is strait sets, when he wins one set he almost always ends up winning the match, this is because he fights so hard and in longer matches physically imposes himself, also I have seen very close matches were Nadal is probably not the best player on the court but he is so mentally strong he finds a way to win anyway even though he probably should have lost, so the close loses he should have (but he doesn't as opposed to other players, even top players) he actually turns into win, thats why when he loses it always is decisive, so if you want to beat Nadal you better do it decisively and in strait sets because if you give him any window, let him hang around more than likely he will find a way to win even if hes not the better player on the day.

This makes perfect sense to me, how about you guys? Any other theories?

crawl4
04-22-2008, 06:37 AM
i also think that he is mentally just out of it from hard fought matches throughout a tournament. Not just that but normally the people that beat him are the best on hardcourt surfaces, daveydenko and djokovic are hard for anyone.

PROTENNIS63
04-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Nadal is more tired mentally then physically most of the time.

zagor
04-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I kinda agree with you.With Nadal you just gotta blow him off court like Tsonga did at the AO,Kolja in Miami,Federer at TMC last year,Nalbandian in Paris etc.you mustn't allow Nadal to get his teeth into the match,otherwise if the match gets tight my money is always on Nadal because IMO he is the mentally strongest player on tour.He is one of the mentally strongest players I've ever seen in tennis,he reminds of Chang(who also always believed he is still in the match no matter the score) when we talk about mental strength even though IMO their games are very different.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Yep Nadal will wear you down if you let him hang around. Take advantage of him when he is out of rhythm or feeling tight which is usually early in the match. Clay gives Nadal plenty of time to find his game so that makes it so much harder to beat him there. All those high balls as well.

counter_puncher
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
good theory.

el sergento
04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Nadal is something ridiculous like 200-10 when winning the first set. If Nadal takes the first set he's almost guaranteed to win the match. When he looses the first set though his stats decrease dramatically. So yeah, your theory makes sense.

More telling though is that he's usually blown away by quality returners. When he gets tight he rolls in his first serve and people like Blake or Tsonga will hit that back for a winner. On clay it's a decent tactic to roll in the serve and get set up for a rally, but on a hard court you'll get eaten alive, hence the blow outs.

Nadal needs to seriously work on a hard, flat or even sliced first serve and learn to take more risks. Too often I've seen him 0-30 down and instead of going for a big serve he just rolls it in, usually right into his opponents strike zone. Rafa is tall, a good 6'2 or 6'3, he should be dominating with his serve instead of using it to start the point.

MAX PLY
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
A very good point about the Nadal serve. At Wimbledon he has really taken a few more risks with his serve and it has paid off. On clay he doesn't feel the need to do that (and so far he has been right) but likewise, on hard court, he doesn't seem to take a few extra risks. That has left him (relatively) vulnerable to a player like Tsonga who is also having a good day. It strikes me that the folks who have success against Nadal are those who shorten the points, whether it be with a big serve, a big return or simply going for more earlier in a point (granted--easier said than done on clay). The longer the point, the better Nadal plays and likewise, the longer he can keep his opponent out there, the more likely it is he will win. That's an attribute that is tough on his body but right now it is what makes him win. I have actually been surprised that Federer hasn't been more aggressive on clay (aside from trying to do something amazing off a high backhand--that's not what I mean) against him. Hopefully, we will get another chance to see them go at it again this clay court season.

BigT
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
good points....I think it is because his game is so one-dimentional, that when his opponent is on(ex: Fed, Joker, Tsonga, Nalby,) there is not much he can do to change....

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
good points....I think it is because his game is so one-dimentional, that when his opponent is on(ex: Fed, Joker, Tsonga, Nalby,) there is not much he can do to change....
Your comments are so one dimensional idiot.

Vision84
04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
He isn't so one dimensional now as he has greatly improved his net play over the past couple years but he isn't nearly as multi-dimensional as say Federer. If a player can take his hard topspin shots on the rise and dictate play that way which is hard to do then Nadal will struggle big time and not have much of an answer.

edmondsm
04-22-2008, 06:46 PM
A big reason that Nadal is so strong mentally is because of his physical tools. He isn't one-dimensional. He knows that he can run down balls and hit great shots on the run that most players don't have a chance at. He can obsorb pace and play with alot of margin or be agressive and finish points. So he is always confident in his chances. A guy like Roddick might be just as tenacious but just doesn't have the options of Nadal.

Defcon
04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Your comments are so one dimensional idiot.

And your name calling and personal insults are what??

Every player has a comfort zone they retreat to when things are not going their way, or when they are not mentally in the match. Even Federer does it, as was obvious in his FO finals. Nadals safe zone is retrieving. Against big flat hitters who are on, its a guaranteed losing strategy on HC. So Nadal has and wil continue to lose these matches unless he drastically changes his game.

Djokovicfan4life
04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I prefer a much simpler theory myself. His shots land too short in the court. Sure, they have a ton of pace on them, but it still gives his opponents SO much more time to set up. Don't really know much about clay court play but on hard courts he's toast if he can't get more depth.

JMO.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
And your name calling and personal insults are what??

Every player has a comfort zone they retreat to when things are not going their way, or when they are not mentally in the match. Even Federer does it, as was obvious in his FO finals. Nadals safe zone is retrieving. Against big flat hitters who are on, its a guaranteed losing strategy on HC. So Nadal has and wil continue to lose these matches unless he drastically changes his game.
The problem with Nadal's game on hardcourts is that he is forced to hit flatter and therefore he's more streaky. He beat Blake twice and Tsonga. He just has days where he can't flatten out his shot well. Yes than he will go to plan B which is total defense. He doesn't start with that plan. Therefore he isn't one-dimensional.

TheTruth
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
He isn't one-dimensional at all. That bit of wisdom started with Federer!