PDA

View Full Version : What are the "real racquets"?

snowpuppy
01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I was reading up on the article that antontd posted on how racquet tech is all hype. I suppose that it is true since many pros themselves choose paint jobs over a new one. So let me ask you guys this, what are some of the racquets that were proven to be good and not just popular because of marketing schemes or the pros who made it look "cool" to have one.

I own only 3 racquets. A wilson impact (personally i think this is the most popular beginners racquet), a Head S1 (birthday gift), and a PS 6.1 (which i found for 30 bucks in sports authority laying on the demo/clearance racquet table. Brand new but w/o grommets). I am a beginner-intermedate all-court player that like a racquet that is stable enough to handle power shots, control oriented, decent ease on the arm. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

pchoi04
01-09-2005, 06:15 PM
uhh... POG, Prestige classic, ps original, hps 5.0... i guess those are some classics...

Steve H.
01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Actually the PS 6.1 is a good racquet, and a lot of pros and top college players have used it, you could have it strung and play with it although it might be too heavy for you. The S1 is pretty light and stiff, but is still a "real" raquet and you could play with it for a while until you find something better. If you want something in the middle, look for a Head Radical oversize, any version, these still appear in the chain stores for about $70 or less, and they are very nice racquets for a wide range of players. Hope this helps.

kv581
01-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Yea but get those grommets on the 6.1 if you decide to play with it!

Stormwolf
01-09-2005, 09:14 PM
PS 6.1s are pretty decent in my view - those other two are junk. Grommets would be a good idea. The Prestige Classic 600 is the best racquet ever made, the Prostaff 6.0 85 is a close second.

Serve-And-Volley
01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I guess if I were to think about "real racquets", the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 comes to mind and the POG along side the Head Prestige line. All of those classic racquet are decent in my opinion.

Capt. Willie
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Volkl C10 Pro

OnyxZ28
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Any racquet is a real racquet if you like it.

Phil
01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Any racquet is a real racquet if you like it.

Absolutely.

But if ease on the arm is one of your criterium, Snowpuppy, I wouldn't go near the 6.1-it's an arm killer (though it hits like a charm).