PDA

View Full Version : Wilson or Fischer?

Wuffy
04-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi,
I'm about to buy a new racquet for my brother as a bd present. I'd say he's a 4.5 player (not too sure, but I'd put him there according to the description) with a 2hbh. He plays with a lot of spin on both sides and likes to come to the net from time to time. He's got a long swing on the forehand, and average swing on the backhand. He mostly flattens the first serve and puts some good spin on the second.
So, which racquet would you suggest for that kind of play? The Wilson KTour, the Wilson KBlade 98, or the Fischer M Pro no. 1 98? So far he tested the KTour and really liked it. He will test the other sticks coming Sunday.
Thanks for any info.

Wuffy

P.S. am off for training here myself tonight, so sorry if I don't reply for the next couple of hours.

Djokovicfan4life
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Hard to tell just from his swing style IMO. I prefer the M pro myself, my serve is just so much better than it was with the NBlade. :)

If he likes the KTour than he should probably give the M pro a try, it's a very solid players racquet. Can't really comment on the KBlade, although the NBlade may be sort of similar.

FH2FH
04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Fischer grips are very unusual. I can't stand them.

Wuffy
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

ndtennis
04-22-2008, 05:11 PM

I really dont mind the grips myself, but i have heard a couple people say that.
Regardless that would be the only thing, if anything, I have heard negative about Fichers. Wilson i have heard customer satifaction, quality issues and what not.
The thing i like about fischer compared to Wilson is Wilson has the budget to buy consumers whereas Fischer doesnt have that budget so they sell rackets purely on the racket itself.
I use the m pro 98 UL. I abosolutley love it, I would def try the UL and SL, see what fits you right. Or if you want to try a bit heavier the M Comp is good too (look to the thread above, or below by now).

hope this helped

P8ntballa
04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
If he can handle the weight the K6.1 16X18 is very nice. Also the Kblade Tour was an awesome hit but I hit with loads of spin on my fh and it took some time to get used to the denser string pattern. I have only hit with the M Pro no.1 SL and I really did not like it, it felt way too flexy on the serve and harder groundies. The other stix he may enjoy are the RDS 001, and 002(s), RQiS1 Tour, Ozone Tour(s), Speedport Tour, Prestiege Pro, PureStorm(s), and another stik I just recently hit with the Donnay Pro1 OS. If u have Qs ask them... hope I can help!!!!!!!!

LanEvo
04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
wait for him to test out all thso eracquets, then see which one he likes the best and get him that one

Djokovicfan4life
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Fischer racquets are definitely an acquired taste. I shanked all over the place when I first tried it, but I got used to it fast. The sweet spot is pretty large IMO. On the other hand my brother says that he could find Waldo before he could find the sweet spot.

PackardDell
04-23-2008, 12:22 AM

Recent Fischers have a new more squarish grip

FH2FH
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Recent Fischers have a new more squarish grip

I tried the Pro #1 UL. It felt like I was holding a small cardboard box, lol. I liked the racquet, though it was a little spongy like an O3 frame, but just could not get used to the grip. Why do they have to do this?!? ;)

Wuffy
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the input. Turned out to be the Fischer. He started with the KBlade today, but the moment he used the Fischer, I could actually see that he felt more comfortable with it. And he beat me 6-2 with it, hehe.
So, thanks again for all the info and input.

Peter Szucs
04-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I tried the Pro #1 UL. It felt like I was holding a small cardboard box, lol. I liked the racquet, though it was a little spongy like an O3 frame, but just could not get used to the grip. Why do they have to do this?!? ;)

You must have tried the red-green version. the new no tolerance release got a new grip type thats very close to wilson.