PDA

View Full Version : Who will beat Nadal on Clay in 2008?

deme08
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm predicting that Nadal will be beaten on clay at least once (and perhaps 2 or 3 times the most) this year. Who do you think could take him down? Name 3 players that you think have the best chance.

Ferrero, Juan Carlos First one who defeated Nadal!

Federer, Roger (SUI)

Djokovic, Novak (SRB)

Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)

Ferrer, David (ESP)

Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)

Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS)

Murray, Andy (GBR)

Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)

Andreev, Igor (RUS)

I don't see any other players outside this list could beat Nadal on clay.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Federer and only in Hamburg.

The-Champ
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
An injury, which I hope will NEVER happen!

gj011
04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Where is the poll?

Djokovic and Davydenko. I don't see anybody else that have even a remote chance. Federer is not playing good enough, Ferrer also, Almagro is a choker, he might go up 6-0 6-0 5-0 in RG and will still lose to Nadal, others are either not in the best form, injured, clay is too much trouble for them or are simply not that good.

fastdunn
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Federer or Djokovic. Federer is still the best clay courter among all the players listed in OP, IMHO.

Nadal_Monfils
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm going to go with no one.

counter_puncher
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Ferrer will beat him in Hamburg!

counter_puncher
04-22-2008, 01:47 PM
i mean Monte Carlo

also he will lose to Safin 1st round in FO.

roddick89
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm going to go with no one.

Agreed, i'm hoping he goes thru the caly court season unbeaten to close the gap on fed.

Thor
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Depends who will be the lucky guy o be in his draw in Hamburg - I suspect he'll be so tired from playing 3 tournaments in 3 weeks and winning them

ninman
04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Ancic has a good chance tomorrow of defeating Nadal. Everybody seems to think that his domination of clay will carry on forever. In my opinion it's gone on for a lot longer than it perhaps should have, Niemenen was up a set and a double break against Nadal, Hewitt nearly took him down in the semi's at Hamburg, Davydenko almost beaten him, Federer has beaten him and had match points against him in Rome 06, as well as 17 bp's against him at Roland Garros last year.

PHM almost had him at Roland Garros in 2006 also. I think people have to just believe that they can beat him. In my opinion Federer should have taken him out in Rome 2006, and I think that defeat hurt Federer a lot more than he was willing to let on.

zagor
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
The guys who have a chance are Federer(if he improves his current form),Davydenko(obviously pushed him very hard last year in Rome),Djokovic(has yet to take a set from Nadal on clay but he is a better player this year and more confident) and Nalbandian(if he is fit,motivated and healthy).

Andres
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Youzhny? Gonzalez? Murray? Tipsarevic?TSONGA????

Nalbandian has a better chance than most of those guys, except Davydenko, Federer and Djokovic.

gj011
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM

Nalbandian has a better chance than most of those guys, except Davydenko, Federer and Djokovic.

Agree with Hugh. Nalbandian is another guy that could do it. Actually only if good Nalbandian shows up. :)

edberg505
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM

He whipped Youzhny last year on clay. The same with Gonzo. Won't even comment on Tipsy. And Murray? The chances of Murray ever beating Nadal on a clay court are too small to compute. I would give Tsonga a fighting chance if he could overpower him. But Nalbandian is a safe bet.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Robert Dee, U.K.

RoddickistheMan
04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Murray and Djokovic

9000tennis
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm certainly not a Nadal fan, but I don't think he'll lose on clay this year. Only if he gets injured or playing a 7 hour long match and has to play another match the next day against a top opponent.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Ancic has a good chance tomorrow of defeating Nadal. Everybody seems to think that his domination of clay will carry on forever. In my opinion it's gone on for a lot longer than it perhaps should have, Niemenen was up a set and a double break against Nadal, Hewitt nearly took him down in the semi's at Hamburg, Davydenko almost beaten him, Federer has beaten him and had match points against him in Rome 06, as well as 17 bp's against him at Roland Garros last year.

PHM almost had him at Roland Garros in 2006 also. I think people have to just believe that they can beat him. In my opinion Federer should have taken him out in Rome 2006, and I think that defeat hurt Federer a lot more than he was willing to let on.
Yes people got close to beating Nadal just like people have been close to beating Federer even more on clay. I'm impressed you got such a good memory on every single match Nadal struggled on in clay. Getting close and actually closing the deal are 2 different things. Nadal was exhausted last year in Hamburg so if he continues to play that crazy schedule than he will most likely lose there. Rome is the fastest clay court but I think Nadal can win that again.

diegaa
04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
federer always have a shot. djoko too... besides these obvious choices im risking ferrer.

SempreSami
04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
One of the Decepticons will have a dirty trick to play, I reckon it'll be Soundwave.

crawl4
04-22-2008, 06:11 PM
He whipped Youzhny last year on clay. The same with Gonzo. Won't even comment on Tipsy. And Murray? The chances of Murray ever beating Nadal on a clay court are too small to compute. I would give Tsonga a fighting chance if he could overpower him. But Nalbandian is a safe bet.

hahah, when tsonga lost to him on hard court at IW how is he gonna win on clay. I no he whipped him in AO but its rare for a player to find that kind of form consistently and to do those kind of shots like his volleys is impossible all the time.

Only federer, davey and Nalbandian have a chance.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
it will be one of these 3...
1. davydenko
2. djokovic
3. federer
and of course possibly an injury. but i certainly don't see him going unbeaten this year. remember he hasn't won a title yet!

Defcon
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
balls;2273907']Robert Dee, U.K.

Well played, sir !!

NikeWilson
04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
yeah, i'd say either Federer or Djokovic. but they won't. if one does, it's probably gonna be Djokovic. he's younger, and fresher and newer than Federer.

edberg505
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
hahah, when tsonga lost to him on hard court at IW how is he gonna win on clay. I no he whipped him in AO but its rare for a player to find that kind of form consistently and to do those kind of shots like his volleys is impossible all the time.

Only federer, davey and Nalbandian have a chance.

I could have sworn I wrote down, "I would give Tsonga a fighting chance if he could overpower him." I don't recall saying he would destroy him. And besides, his win over Tsonga in IW was less than convincing, but a win nonetheless.

IvanAndreevich
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Nalby vs Rafa for sure. And wanna see Novak vs Rafa, of course.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
I could have sworn I wrote down, "I would give Tsonga a fighting chance if he could overpower him." I don't recall saying he would destroy him. And besides, his win over Tsonga in IW was less than convincing, but a win nonetheless.
This is clay man. Tsonga's game does not suit clay. Too high risk and his parts of his game are neutralized.

welcome2petrkordaland
04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
fed, djokovic, murray, or ferrer

davydenko's a choker in big matches usually, nalby's no match for nadal on clay although on hard court can teach him a lesson, and tsonga wouldn't win a set against rafa on clay. tsonga dominating or overpowering nadal on clay is some far-fetched delusion

edberg505
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
This is clay man. Tsonga's game does not suit clay. Too high risk and his parts of his game are neutralized.

Oh, have you seen him play on clay?

vndesu
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM

so? what make you rule that out?
what makes you think he cant beat fed?
he won the other clay tournament and crushed daveydanko.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Davydenko has a real easy draw in MC and has been playing well, so this might be his chance against Nadal. If not, then Djokovic will have a crack at him in the finals. In either case, we get to see early how Nadal's clay season is likely to look.

IvanAndreevich
04-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Davydenko has a real easy draw in MC and has been playing well, so this might be his chance against Nadal. If not, then Djokovic will have a crack at him in the finals. In either case, we get to see early how Nadal's clay season is likely to look.

I don't understand why you rule Roger out. Does he have a history of playing bad in big tourneys? :-?

Thor
04-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Oh, have you seen him play on clay?

I dont think many have considering he has only played 1 clay tournament to date. Now what does that tell you about Tsonga's view on his clay game?

Zaragoza
04-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Given this yearīs schedule of the clay season (he should play 4 consecutive weeks from now) many players can do it if Nadal doesnīt withdraw or tank in some clay tournament. Who can do it against a fresh Nadal is a different question. And who can do it against a fresh Nadal in a best of 5 sets match is also a different question.
As long as he wins the French Open he can lose some matches, thatīs fine.

my_forehand
04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Federer (if he plays better), Davydenko, Ferrer (?), Blake :D

Would be interesting to see Nadal-Guga in RG...

Phil
04-23-2008, 02:47 AM
balls;2273907']Robert Dee, U.K.
Somone sent me an article on him-54 straight losses until yesterday! Now that he's got a win under his belt you just never know...

deme08
04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Given this yearīs schedule of the clay season (he should play 4 consecutive weeks from now) many players can do it if Nadal doesnīt withdraw or tank in some clay tournament. Who can do it against a fresh Nadal is a different question. And who can do it against a fresh Nadal in a best of 5 sets match is also a different question.
As long as he wins the French Open he can lose some matches, thatīs fine.

Against a fresh Nadal it'd have to be either Federer or Nalbandian playing at their absolutely best.

Against a slightly worn out Nadal, both Ferrer and Djokovic have a good chance of taking him down.

edmondsm
04-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Somebody has to beat him. I'll say Djokovic.

tzinc
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
mr. no one

futuretoptenner
04-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Tsonga plays well on Clay. Once he gets over his most recent injury you'll see, hopefully at Roland Garros. But who will beat Nadal. I don't think anyone will.

welcome2petrkordaland
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
No one will beat Nadal at Roland Garros this year barring an injury, of course. I'd say this year and probably next year too.

What a beast Nads is!

deme08
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
He surely is a machine on clay. Poor Federer, had so many chances...

flyer
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Tsonga plays well on Clay. Once he gets over his most recent injury you'll see, hopefully at Roland Garros. But who will beat Nadal. I don't think anyone will.

tsonga is horible on clay, he didnt even play clay last year because he is so bad on it/hates it, now he kind of has too but hes not even a top 50 clay court player

dh003i
04-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Federer. Federer's the only one who's beaten Nadal on clay these last several years. He's the only one who took a set off of him at the FO last year. He's the only one with enough heart and stamina.

Djokovic? LOL. Give me a break. A guy with not enough conditioning, not enough brains, and not enough heart and balls.

flyer
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
im not even sure there are more than 10 players even capable of beating Nadal on clay on his worst day, I cant say who I think will beat him because I think if Nadal doesnt win its more about him losing it because of fatigue(physical and/or mental) or injury not the opponent winning it, if 100% though I dont think Nadal loses on clay

jmsx521
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
You can't just win all the matches on your favorite surface for 5-10 years in a row. I'd say eventually someone in a 1st/2nd rd will play out of his mind and surprise him.

CyBorg
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I think someone will beat a tired Nadal in Rome. Make your pick. It doesn't really matter. We may get a shock early in this event. Rafa will pull a muscle in his famous *** and become a wounded piggy.

But he'll recover by RG and dominate there again.

lambielspins
04-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I dont see why he would be tired. He did not lose a set at Monte Carlo and none of the doubles matches play a real 3rd set anymore.

fgzhu88
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Federer is the only one with any chance of defeating a healthy Nadal on clay.

Everyone else just dwarfs in comparison to Nadal and Federer on clay.
Federer certainly has the tools to take out Nadal but he would have to keep up that Godly level of play we saw in the 4th set of Rome 2006. Which is very unlikely.

Obviously Nadal is still the undisputed king of clay.

dh003i
04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Or he could just keep his gameplan consistently that he executed partially at MC final.

Nadal's gameplan relies on being steady. When the other player is playing out of their mind, if they're a top level player, he doesn't really have an answer. See Tsonga at the AO, a surface that was supposed to favor his playing style. In fact, he was just flabbergasted.

If Federer has an "out of his mind day" like that, even on clay, it'd be the same thing, except Fed's "out of his mind" is at a much higher level.

People seem to think it's impossible to play your best tennis for a significant stretch. It doesn't happen very often, but it can and does happen.

Zaragoza
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Or he could just keep his gameplan consistently that he executed partially at MC final.

Nadal's gameplan relies on being steady. When the other player is playing out of their mind, if they're a top level player, he doesn't really have an answer. See Tsonga at the AO, a surface that was supposed to favor his playing style. In fact, he was just flabbergasted.

If Federer has an "out of his mind day" like that, even on clay, it'd be the same thing, except Fed's "out of his mind" is at a much higher level.

People seem to think it's impossible to play your best tennis for a significant stretch. It doesn't happen very often, but it can and does happen.

If Federer plays out of his mind against Nadal on clay it will be a tight match, we have seen it before. If you think someone can beat Nadal on clay the way Tsonga beat him on hardcourts (Tsongaīs best surface and Nadalīs worst) then you need some reality check. Of course I am talking about Nadal playing under decent physical conditions. If he plays 20 matches in 3 weeks many players could beat him.

Coria
04-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Who will beat Nadal on clay? Two people: No and Body

welcome2petrkordaland
04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
know it's been mentioned on this thread but nadal could've played better today on many levels.

Stchamps
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM
i will beat him

NamRanger
04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
im not even sure there are more than 10 players even capable of beating Nadal on clay on his worst day, I cant say who I think will beat him because I think if Nadal doesnt win its more about him losing it because of fatigue(physical and/or mental) or injury not the opponent winning it, if 100% though I dont think Nadal loses on clay

Sorry, Federer would crush Nadal if he was playing his worst tennis. Nadal playing at his worst is REALLY bad, because he mishits EVERYTHING.

Federer would have to be at 100% and playing as godly as he can to beat Nadal. Not likely to happen, but it could happen.

ten15
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Federer has been come close to doing it last year. I know it's not likely to happen, but I hope Federer can win the French Open this year.

veroniquem
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Against a fresh Nadal it'd have to be either Federer or Nalbandian playing at their absolutely best.

Against a slightly worn out Nadal, both Ferrer and Djokovic have a good chance of taking him down.
This is just ridiculous, Djoko's game on clay is way below Fed's level. Plus he doesn't have the endurance or stamina to grind it out on clay. How could he possibly take out Rafa? He's been completely dominated in all the clay matches he played against Rafa last year...

blackfrido
04-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Mariano Puerta will beat him this year! :(

veroniquem
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
You can't just win all the matches on your favorite surface for 5-10 years in a row. I'd say eventually someone in a 1st/2nd rd will play out of his mind and surprise him.
Eventually, but that will probably be a long time from now. Remember he's only 21, he can get even better in the next few years!

flyer
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Sorry, Federer would crush Nadal if he was playing his worst tennis. Nadal playing at his worst is REALLY bad, because he mishits EVERYTHING.

Federer would have to be at 100% and playing as godly as he can to beat Nadal. Not likely to happen, but it could happen.

yeah i never said federer wouldn't, i said about 10 players were capable, him being one of them obviously, federer could beat him but it would be based on nadal having a bad day, not federer having a good day, because federer on a good day still loses to nadal on clay

veroniquem
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Who will beat Nadal on clay? Two people: No and Body
Haha, perfect answer!

Morrissey
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
How can anyone dispute someone saying nobody? Nadal destroyed Davydenko and beat up Ferrer and Ferrero all in straights. Nalby won't do any better than those guys. Only Fed can do it. In his last 99 matches on clay Nadal has only lost one time and that was to Fed in Hamburg last year.

[d]ragon
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
i think feds got the best shot outa those ppl but even still, chances are he wont be able to

DISCLAIMER: im not a nadal diehard

Lindsayfan
04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Maybe a clone of Rafa might beat him. but isn't that beating yourself up.

deme08
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero! I guess no body saw it coming!

Telepatic
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero! I guess no body saw it coming!

Haha^^ Oh well,he was injured afterall.

coloskier
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Haha^^ Oh well,he was injured afterall.

Yes, and I think everyone agrees that besides Fed being on top of his game, that was the only way he would have a chance of losing.

You Got Serbed!
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
FERRERo? :shock:

Greenfin Beta
05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
FERRERo? :shock:

hahaha... playing innocent, are you?

ndtennis
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
ferrero played so well. he will make a good run at the tounry

deme08
05-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Yes, and I think everyone agrees that besides Fed being on top of his game, that was the only way he would have a chance of losing.

Lets hope he takes his time to recover by not forcing himself to play Hamburg just to defend the points, otherwise I won't surprised if someone else other than Federer takes him out before Roland Garros.

deme08
05-08-2008, 01:19 AM
ferrero played so well. he will make a good run at the tounry

I hope he would make the final now, he deserves to be in another Masters final. Biggest obstacle for him is Davydenko.

babbette
05-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Maybe a clone of Rafa might beat him. but isn't that beating yourself up.

this sums it up for me.:shock: Rafa beat himself.:cry:Actually, the ATP beat him.:mad: