PDA

View Full Version : Best poly for my desired hybrid...

tennisfanatic6060
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey guys. I made a thread a few weeks ago, saying that I would like to do a hybrid of natural gut and multifilament on my new Microgel Prestige Midplus racquets. However, I have changed my mind, and would now like to do a poly-multifilament hybrid. Can you guys recommend me the best poly to hybrid in my situation, as described in this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=176826. By the way, I am now 14 years old instead of 13. Also, if you choose "other" in my poll, please tell me what poly you're thinking about. Thanks in advance.

04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Big Ace is popular and a nice string. Try that to start as it will work with any cross as its soft

supermario343
04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
^ i would go for big ace as well...maybe cyberflash too...i like those two strings as far as polys go :)

tennisfanatic6060
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks 1012007 and supermario343. I looked at Big Ace, and have added it to my list of considerations.

Remember, the more opinions, the better...:)

LanEvo
04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
big ace 18g

samej07
04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
i've been playin pro hurricane/ hurricane tour since i was 14 and have never had any problems. several times during that time i have switched strings but have always ended up going back to my hybrid.

for me the hurricane is soft enough that it doesnt have that "harsh" feeling other polys have, yet it is stiff enough to give me good control. plus, its got excellent spin potential.

my opinion is that either hurricane is good, but personally i like hurricane tour better.

hope this helps! :)

tennisfanatic6060
04-23-2008, 04:29 AM
It's interesting that so many of you voted for the Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour. I always thought that was a very stiff poly, but maybe I was wrong...? I wasn't very surprised about the Luxilon Power Fluoro, but the Big Ace came as more of a shock to me. If the voting continues to fold out this way, it looks like I'll have three polys to test out. Thanks to everyone for voting, and keep the votes coming. Thanks.

tennisfanatic6060
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering what you liked about Big Ace. I'm a little tentative about going with a Pro Supex string because I've played with Head and Wilson my entire life. Also, what gauge would you recommend for me? I don't know how the string plays, so that's a question I need your help answering...
Thanks again for all the help and happy voting...:)

tennisfanatic6060
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry to post again, but I have a few more questions. What gauge do you guys recommend for the Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour? 16 or 17? Also, what tensions do you recommend for me to string the Pro Hurricane Tour, Luxilon Power Fluoro, and Big Ace at? Remember, I'll be using a hybrid with a multifilament string, most likely the new Babolat Xcel Premium. Thanks in advance, and keep the poll alive!

samej07
04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
i've always used 16 gauge, but 17 will probably be softer and give you more spin.

as for the tension, i string my rackets anywhere from 57-61, just depending on what i like at the time. i know thats not a very specific number, but its really a personal prefference so i guess just try and see what you like.

stormholloway
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Fluoro by a mile. That string is God-like. I played it in a hybrid with VS in mains and Fluoro in crosses at 56/54 and it was luscious.

tennisfanatic6060
04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I've decided to try 17 gauge on my upcoming Lux. Power Fluoro, Bab. Pro Hurricane Tour, and Pro Supex Big Ace strings. I think it's the best way to find out which of the polys works best for me. By stringing them with Bab. XCel Premium at the same tension, I'll only be dealing with one different variable- the string itself. I appreciate all the help, and keep the opinions coming. Thanks again!

Casco
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
A great combination is gut on the mains with Lux ALU Power Rough on the crosses, and I believe Wilson sells ths as a package as it is what Roger Federer uses. Pacific also sells a hybridset with Poly Force and their excellent gut. What you use for your mains and crosses depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The poly on the mains is considered the more durable approach, while poly on the crosses and gut on the mains is, I believe, considered the way to go with a serve and volley style of play.

tennisfanatic6060
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the advice Casco. The weather is starting to get warm in Michigan, and I'll be playing outside more and more. Therefore, I don't want to buy gut strings that will die in the humidity right now. But maybe when the indoor season comes back around...

...Also, what do you guys think about the Topspin Cyberflash string? I'm probably going to order myself some Big Ace strings, and was wondering if I should try a pack of these as well. I've read that they're stiffer and promote more spin than Big Ace (which is not a great thing), but was hoping you guys could confirm... Thanks, and keep the opinions keeping!

supermario343
04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
What kind of racquet do you use tennisfanatic6060? My Big Ace is 17g...I like my polys to be 17g so I can have more spin and feel on the ball. Sometimes the 16g is beneficial if youre looking for durability though. All depends on your game.

tennisfanatic6060
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
What kind of racquet do you use tennisfanatic6060? My Big Ace is 17g...I like my polys to be 17g so I can have more spin and feel on the ball. Sometimes the 16g is beneficial if youre looking for durability though. All depends on your game.

I use the Head Microgel Prestige MP racquet. Which gauge of the Big Ace would be softer on my shoulder and back? Second, which gauge of the Big Ace would provide more power- 16 or 17? I'd like to have the more powerful gauge because generating my own power will be hard enough with the Prestige, and my hybrid string (Babolat XCel Premium) will not supply a lot of power. By the way, do you think it'd be a wise choice to use Babolat XCel Premium as my hybrid string? Or should I use a different multifilament like Babolat XCel Power? I know that's a lot of questions, but answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all the help.

hoodjem
04-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Think about Big Ace Micro at 1.15 or 19g. Talk about spin and feel in a poly.

Lloyd Barcenilla
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Full Big ace Micro, i think its soft enough that it dosent need to be put in a hybrid

downey stringing master
05-05-2008, 06:57 AM
personally i'd go for big banger ace 1.12 its amazing.. or i''d go with PH and Exel and wanting to give the sonic pro ago .. but i can get it here.. =[ goood luck!

Eric4
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Big Ace is popular and a nice string. Try that to start as it will work with any cross as its soft

how does Big Ace compare to somthing like Cyber Flash or Cyber Power?

stormholloway
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
If you can afford Fluoro, you won't be disappointed. Just imagine a soft and comfortable ALU Power. It's brilliant.

FaultsNAces
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the advice Casco. The weather is starting to get warm in Michigan, and I'll be playing outside more and more. Therefore, I don't want to buy gut strings that will die in the humidity right now. But maybe when the indoor season comes back around...

Then definitely try Fluoro with X-1 BiPhase -- the Fluoro is just like Storm said, a softer BB Alu, and the BiPhase is very gut-like without the humidity issues. (But it's also not as durable as VS.) Not a cheap hybrid either, but wonderful feel and spin....

-frank

quest01
05-05-2008, 09:53 PM
My desired hybrid on the mains is Luxilon Power Fluoro. It's kind of pricey but it's a great string and it's more arm friendly compared to other co poly's.

tennisfanatic6060
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey guys. I got my racquets strung yesterday, so they're ready for me to play with tonight. I went with two different setups. On my first setup, I went with Power Fluoro on the mains at 55 lbs, and Xcel Premium on the crosses at 61 lbs. On my second setup, I went with Pro Hurricane Tour on the mains at 55 lbs, and Xcel Premium on the crosses at 61 lbs. I'll get back to you guys to let you know how they play. Thanks for the updated advice.

stormholloway
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Let us know. It's interesting that the disparity between tensions is so high. I'm curious how it plays. I try to keep my strings within two pounds of each other.

jsomrak
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I really like BB power flouro and cyberflash, both are great. You couldn't go wrong with either. BB didn't last me very long, like 10 hours max. cyberflash is cheaper.

wao
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
For me it would be Blue Gear 1.28 and PSGD crosses.

fastswingVD
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
my set is tecnifibre pro red code and NRG2 @ 58 or lower

Djokovicfan4life
05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Fluoro by a mile. That string is God-like. I played it in a hybrid with VS in mains and Fluoro in crosses at 56/54 and it was luscious.

I've actually been considering that exact set-up! Now I've got to try it! :)

tennisfanatic6060
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for all the new comments. So, two nights ago, I hit with my Power Fluoro-Xcel Premium setup on my Microgel Prestige. I found it to be very different from my previous setups, and it took me some time to adjust to it. My groundstrokes felt odd in the beginning, and my shoulder started to become sore. However, when my groundstrokes landed in, they were high quality shots. Unfortunately, I found myself missing many shots in the net, and it was somewhat difficult to supply my own power. The volleys on this setup felt strong and solid. The serve was the shot that was most affected by the new setup. Early on, I was missing everything long, and had to spin most of my serves in. Luckily, the strings worked good for spin, and my lefty spin was working well.
Yesterday, I tried this setup again and my PHT-Xcel Premium setup. Both felt stiff, but the PHT-Xcel stringjob felt better. I was making most of my groundstrokes, and it was easier to bring my own power. My serves were also strong, and I was able to apply spin. Overall, I'm enjoying my PHT-Xcel setup more. It's simply more comfortable and suits my game better.

[K]Topspin
05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Pro Hurricane tour. Nice spin along with your multifilament.

tennisfanatic6060
05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, I've tried my setups for about a week now. I like the PHT-Xcel setup more than the Power Fluoro-Xcel setup. I found the PHT-Xcel setup to be softer on my shoulder. I also didn't have to force my shots like I did with my Power Fluoro-Xcel setup (my shots came more naturally). Also, the PHT setup is cheaper, so why not save some money? I'm going to continue using both racquets until I break the strings. I hope to eliminate one of the setups (preferably my Power Fluoro) to further narrow my search for the best strings...Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you posted.

hoodjem
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I also didn't have to force my shots like I did with my Power Fluoro-Xcel setup (my shots came more naturally).

Tf,
What do you mean here: you didn't have to swing as hard to generate power?

tennisfanatic6060
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Tf,
What do you mean here: you didn't have to swing as hard to generate power?

That's correct. The PHT-Xcel setup made it easier for me to play my own game. Sorry for the misconception.

spindoctor020
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't ever use ultra tour! bad tension loss...unless you want your strings to look kool :-)

tennisfanatic6060
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Don't ever use ultra tour! bad tension loss...unless you want your strings to look kool :-)

Interesting. I read the reviews for this string on TW, and people seemed to like it. That is, of course, after the long break-in period of about two hours. During that time I read that it feels very stiff. Thanks for the warning though.

tennisfanatic6060
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Also, I hit again today with my racquets, and the PHT-Xcel setup continues to be my favorite. This is mostly because of the soft feel/comfort I get when I use it. I hit pretty good with both racquets, but it's harder to play with the Power Fluoro-Xcel setup, as it's stiffer on my shoulder. I'll be playing a lot of tournaments in the near future, so a comfortable string is key!

Also, I have a question for you guys. Which string holds it tension better- PHT or Power Fluoro?

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.

stormholloway
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I find all of that surprising. I haven't tried PHT though. I'll stick it in one of my frames next, but Fluoro is just exceptional.

Topspin Kid364
05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I've been using Pro Hurricane Tour since I started to play. Excellent string if you need spin and power.

tennisfanatic6060
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
I've been using Pro Hurricane Tour since I started to play. Excellent string if you need spin and power.

Well, spin and power is what I need. Thanks for the advice Topspin Kid.