PDA

View Full Version : As close to the PC600 as possible

Head_Rocketman
04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm having to let the PC600 go, and I'm wondering what'll get me as close to the racquet as possible. A couple of options I've considered are:

1. Customize a Liquidmetal Radical to as close to the PC600 specs.

2. Get a 200g Hotmelt stock (specs seem to be pretty close).

For you racquet customization aficionados, or even those who have playtested the racquets considered, what would you suggest?

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I'll probably be flamed for the following suggestions, but I've found the Volkl V-Engine Tour 10 Mid to have many of the addictive qualities that the PC600 possesses.

HeadPrestige
04-22-2008, 04:46 PM
there is nothing quite like the pc600 (as is the case for many of the classics) but i would demo the PK redondo mid. Probably your closest bet.

onkystomper
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Why do you have to let it go?

If you are looking for a lighter frame there is nothing really like it.

If you are after a larger headsize the PT630 is the closest i have found. If thats too hard to find the MG Prestige MP

Head_Rocketman
04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Why do you have to let it go?

I'm letting it go to fund something else. Basically switching to a cheaper racquet, though in the process would like to find something that feels close to the 600.

anirut
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I found the MG Prestige Mid to be a very fine racket. Easier to play than the PC600 that I would rather pick the MG over the PC.

If you're looking for other brands at a lower price, then, yeah, the 10VE mid and the Redondo mid are worth to be tried. The Redondo mid would feel closer to the PC than the 10VE mid.

pauliecarzz
04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Ive heard some gr8 things about Donnay Pro One International Racquets. Play well and cheap, very cheap in price!
ps im interested in the pc, pauliecarzz@aol.com
good luck!

Raymond089
04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
i'm interested in the PC600, please email me on raymond89 at msn dot com

P8ntballa
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm having to let the PC600 go, and I'm wondering what'll get me as close to the racquet as possible. A couple of options I've considered are:

For you racquet customization aficionados, or even those who have playtested the racquets considered, what would you suggest?

My coach is willing to sell me one his five pc600mp new w/plastic on the grip, Ive hit with it a little but would like to know what a long time user thinks of it. How does it play, i.e. feel, power, control, spin, serves, etc. I hit pretty hard so a low powered stik is good, also whats a good string setup and tension. THNX

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
My coach is willing to sell me one his five pc600mp new w/plastic on the grip, Ive hit with it a little but would like to know what a long time user thinks of it. How does it play, i.e. feel, power, control, spin, serves, etc. I hit pretty hard so a low powered stik is good, also whats a good string setup and tension. THNX

First of all, there is no PC600 Mid+. It is a mid sized frame. If your coach has a Mid+ version of the PC600 to sell you, it is probably the Pro Tour 630, in which case you may want to look up some of the threads on the PT630 to get more detailed info.

A few bits of information you may find helpful are that the frame is more flexible than your current frame, and the string pattern is more dense. As a result, you'll lose a bit of the power you are currently experiencing with your Yonex, and you may find it a bit more difficult to produce the same amount of spin.

I would recommend staying with your current frame if you are playing well with it and like the feel, because the frame you are likely to purchase is long out of production and would be more difficult to replace or back up.

Deuce
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM

^ You can't 'spec' one model of racquet to play like another model. It's impossible.

I'll probably be flamed for the following suggestions, but I've found the Volkl V-Engine Tour 10 Mid to have many of the addictive qualities that the PC600 possesses.
^ I didn't.

First of all, there is no PC600 Mid+. It is a mid sized frame.
^ Yes.

If your coach has a Mid+ version of the PC600 to sell you, it is probably the Pro Tour 630
^ No.
The MidPlus version of the Prestige Classic 600 is the Prestige Classic/Tour 660.
It's 102 sq. in.
TW was still selling them less than a year ago.

Of course, the 660 version plays very differently than the Mid (600) version - this is the case whenever any racquet model comes in more than one head size.

onkystomper
04-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Hmmm if you are looking for a cheaper version you will have to go with the LM Prestige mid or Iprestige mid. As close as you will come but they wont feel the same :)

Head_Rocketman
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I know whatever I change to won't feel exactly the same, I'm simply trying to work off specs to get "as close to the PC600 as possible."

galain
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
You know, after spending some 8 years or so on these boards, I think this is the one question that is almost not worth asking. No disrespect intended, but I've seen it asked so many times and there has NEVER been a consensus answer - and in fact, most of the answers tend to contradict one another usually.

I've heard the PK Heritage C called the next Prestige - but then others said it wasn't like it all. I've heard the Redondo called the true Prestige replacement - until lots of Redondo users said it really wasn't like a Prestige at all. The Dunlop AeroGels have been said by some to be a good alternative - but then I've read others say exaclty the opposite. And small fleas have smaller fleas and smaller fleas that bite 'em, and smaller fleas have smaller fleas - and so ad infinitum.

Again - I mean no disrespect to the OP because I would like to know as much as the next man what can stand in the Prestige's place - Even the MicroGels seem to be more in tune with the feel of the I-Prestige than the original. But this is a question I've followed closely even since TW were still selling their original Prestiges and I haven't seen one 'straight' consensus answer come back yet.

Head_Rocketman
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
You know, after spending some 8 years or so on these boards, I think this is the one question that is almost not worth asking. No disrespect intended, but I've seen it asked so many times and there has NEVER been a consensus answer - and in fact, most of the answers tend to contradict one another usually.

I've heard the PK Heritage C called the next Prestige - but then others said it wasn't like it all. I've heard the Redondo called the true Prestige replacement - until lots of Redondo users said it really wasn't like a Prestige at all. The Dunlop AeroGels have been said by some to be a good alternative - but then I've read others say exaclty the opposite. And small fleas have smaller fleas and smaller fleas that bite 'em, and smaller fleas have smaller fleas - and so ad infinitum.

Again - I mean no disrespect to the OP because I would like to know as much as the next man what can stand in the Prestige's place - Even the MicroGels seem to be more in tune with the feel of the I-Prestige than the original. But this is a question I've followed closely even since TW were still selling their original Prestiges and I haven't seen one 'straight' consensus answer come back yet.

Well of course people are going to have differing opinions. It's a matter of getting at least some opinions to gauge what you want. And if some people are saying the PK Redondo or Type C does play at the very least "similarly," you could imagine someone who's interested in the original question would perhaps look into the racquet.

And this isn't based purely on subjectivity; a person sees the two specifications of the PC600 and Redondo, some people have an opinion that it feels a little similar, then there's an educated choice.

drakulie
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
The PC600 is a frame like no other, so you are going to have a hard time replacing the distinct feel of this frame.

Deuce
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Well of course people are going to have differing opinions. It's a matter of getting at least some opinions to gauge what you want. And if some people are saying the PK Redondo or Type C does play at the very least "similarly," you could imagine someone who's interested in the original question would perhaps look into the racquet.

And this isn't based purely on subjectivity; a person sees the two specifications of the PC600 and Redondo, some people have an opinion that it feels a little similar, then there's an educated choice.
Two different models can have exactly the same specs, but feel totally different.
The specs commonly listed make up only a fraction of what makes a racquet a racquet. Therefore, looking as specs to determine which racquet is "closest to racquet X" is pointless.
The only way to determine what plays similarly is to hit with the racquets.
Things like weight and balance can be changed with all racquets. But the FEEL of a racquet upon impact; the materials and percentages of those materials within the racquet; the location of these materials within the racquet - those are the most important elements - and they are elements which cannot be altered.
They are also the elements which are almost never revealed by the racquet companies.

Therefore, one must demo.

Head_Rocketman
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Two different models can have exactly the same specs, but feel totally different.
The specs commonly listed make up only a fraction of what makes a racquet a racquet. Therefore, looking as specs to determine which racquet is "closest to racquet X" is pointless.
The only way to determine what plays similarly is to hit with the racquets.
Things like weight and balance can be changed with all racquets. But the FEEL of a racquet upon impact; the materials and percentages of those materials within the racquet; the location of these materials within the racquet - those are the most important elements - and they are elements which cannot be altered.
They are also the elements which are almost never revealed by the racquet companies.

Therefore, one must demo.

Not sure where I'd be able to demo a Dunlop HM 200g 4 1/2, or a LM Radical 4 1/2 that's been customized by RPNY Tennis or Racquetmaxx :) Sure the LM Rad is simply hypothetical, but at least people can give opinions on their experiences with the 200g.

P8ntballa
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
First of all, there is no PC600 Mid+. It is a mid sized frame. If your coach has a Mid+ version of the PC600 to sell you, it is probably the Pro Tour 630, in which case you may want to look up some of the threads on the PT630 to get more detailed info.

A few bits of information you may find helpful are that the frame is more flexible than your current frame, and the string pattern is more dense. As a result, you'll lose a bit of the power you are currently experiencing with your Yonex, and you may find it a bit more difficult to produce the same amount of spin.

I would recommend staying with your current frame if you are playing well with it and like the feel, because the frame you are likely to purchase is long out of production and would be more difficult to replace or back up.

Thanks for the info (my mistake on the frame) but I am not planning on using it in tournies but just for hitting with friends. Do u think it is still worth buying?