wta_fan
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Why Rafa and Justine dominate at Clay?.

ScovilleJenkins
04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
its red.....

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Hard Courts medium speed-Super Fast Speed, Medium bounces to low bounces, predictable bounces, rough on joints, and better traction.

Clay Courts. Medium-Slow Speed-Real Slow Speed, Medium bounces-High bounces, unpredictable bounces, easy on joints, and slippery surface.
Is that good enough comparison? ;)

Vision84
04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
its red.....

And blue clay?

Defcon
04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I can see the ball on hard courts.

Blue clay??? I must have missed it, but there's only one true clay and its the color of blood !!

Vision84
04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
CLay courts are common in America and all the ones here I have seen are blue, same with the UK courts.

Defcon
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
No clay courts around here (Bay area, California). I wish there were, I've never played on clay.

ScovilleJenkins
04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
CLay courts are common in America and all the ones here I have seen are blue, same with the UK courts.

which is why no major clay court tournaments are played in these countries (Houston does not count)

Alexandros
04-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Kind of like the difference between sex on silk sheets and sex on the beach.

tennis_hand
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Kind of like the difference between sex on silk sheets and sex on the beach.

best comparison. :twisted:

[d]ragon
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
^^^rofl. never heard of blue clay, only red and green (har tru)

shawn1122
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't understand can have such long swings and not have his game severely effected by unpredictable bounces, you'd guess that shorter swings would be better at handling that, but maybe clay is so slow that it isnt a factor?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Clay courts are not common in America. The only place I have seen them in fairly frequent use, including public courts, was in New England. But I loved playing on clay and missed it after I moved to California. The ball sits up for a hit, which just worked wonders for me. And I liked the slide.

spiritdragon
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
lol, i love how the discussion got so off topic. the reason justine henin is so good on clay is because she moves great on clay so she gets to a lot more balls than other women. she has a great drop shot and great stamina.

The reason Nadal is is so good on clay is also because he moves so great on it. he gets to pretty much everything. nadal also hit with a lot of spin and the ball bounces higher on clay. nadal is also very fit and does not tire easily. clay is about grinding it out and nadal is basically the best on tour at grinding it out.

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 11:04 PM
lol, i love how the discussion got so off topic. the reason justine henin is so good on clay is because she moves great on clay so she gets to a lot more balls than other women. she has a great drop shot and great stamina.

The reason Nadal is is so good on clay is also because he moves so great on it. he gets to pretty much everything. nadal also hit with a lot of spin and the ball bounces higher on clay. nadal is also very fit and does not tire easily. clay is about grinding it out and nadal is basically the best on tour at grinding it out.

The subject of this tread deals with hard courts vs. clay. You and the new user are the only ones off subject.

ericsson
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I play year in year out on clay, the reasons why Henin and Nadal are so good is they grew up on it, they got the skills to play on it, they fully understand how to play on it, (for example Sampras and Becker never did)
Justine and Rafa know how to slide to a ball, that's why they get so many balls, slide and still hit a winner...Let's not forget the topspin, clay favours topspin, the ball gets up higher, you can keep the ball very deep and hit cross court.
Spanish players rule here, from when they are little they train on clay, it's simple, you can't play on clay like the way you play on hard court.

origmarm
04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
For Nadal it is clear:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/rafael_nadal_credits_french_open

Z-Man
04-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Clay courts are not common in America. The only place I have seen them in fairly frequent use, including public courts, was in New England. But I loved playing on clay and missed it after I moved to California. The ball sits up for a hit, which just worked wonders for me. And I liked the slide.

Actually, there are a lot of clay courts in the southeast. I live in Georgia, and that's all I play on. They are green clay (not blue). I live in a town with 29,000 people, and we have 6 very nice public hydro-courts (watered from underneath). They're about to add 4 more because tennis is so popular here. Newnan, Ga also has public clay courts, and Columbus, GA has a very large public clay facility. All of the Country Clubs have clay as well.

It's a mystery to me why the American Pros aren't better on clay. I think it has a lot more to do with their style of play and the surface choice of the academies than it does the availabliltiy of clay. Green clay is all over the southeast. I've never played on red clay, but it can't be that much different from what we have here. I have a friend to got to hit at Roland Garros as part of a youth exchange program. He said the clay was similar, but had more of a pebble and gravel feel to it. Our local courts are always well-watered (from underneath), so they are extremely slow, and you can slide easily on them.

Z-Man
04-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Back on topic, I hate hard courts. Clay allows you to move so much more smoothly while keeping your balance. You get some bad bounces, but I like being able to see ball marks. Hard courts are really rough on the body. Of course, if I was a serve-and-go-for-broke player, maybe I'd like hard courts better.