PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell is Nadal playing doubles?

Defcon
04-22-2008, 07:43 PM
He's been *****ing and moaning about his unfair clay court schedule from the rooftops. I just find it a very strange decision. If he gets injured I bet we'll get more press about how the ATP is against clay courters. Its not like he needs the practice, its clay !!

gj011
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
The fact that he plays doubles, has nothing to do with the bad and ridicoulous ATP decision, to change the schedule and shorten the european clay season, in order to make american couch potatoes happy.

Defcon
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
That I entirely agree with, I'm not saying he's wrong.

But playing doubles in addition to his insane schedule, with the threat of knee injury, is so mind bogglingly stupid I have to assume he's planning to withdraw from a tournament.

simi
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Nadal probably plays doubles more than any other singles player on the tour. Most tournaments he play, he also enters the doubles draw.

Nadal_Freak
04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Probably to get his rhythm for the tournament. Not that much running in doubles.

NicolasH
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Maybe he doesn't like to practice.
McEnroe always said that he preferred playing doubles to practicing.

Cheers,
n.

flyer
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Nadal even if not playing a tourney practices way more than any other player, its why hes in the best shape, always match ready, and also negativly possibly more prone to injury; still he loves playing tennis and likes to play doubles i think he feels it gets him match ready and makes him a more complete player, he almost always plays doubles, and it helps in one sense, how many clay courters do you know at are as comfortable/good at net as he?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Maybe he doesn't like to practice.
McEnroe always said that he preferred playing doubles to practicing.

Cheers,
n.
McEnroe was a great doubles player. 70 titles and a fantastic 527-100 match record. By comparison, the Bryans have 45 titles and 481-179 record.

All of the current top 10 have played doubles at one time or another. Federer has the most titles with 7 and a march record of 105-70, Blake has 5, Roddick and Nadal 3. Gasquet has the best match record of 34-20 and highest rating of 74. Nadal is rated 136 and Berdych 115. The rest are in 200s or higher. Nadal also has a good match record at 60-4. And yesterday's win over Nestor/Zimonjic is something else. Thats the #7 rated doubles team.

NicolasH
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I think McEnroe was one of the best doubles player in the history of Tennis. I don't know how many times he's won the singles and doubles of the same tournament (I think 40 - 50 tournaments) in the same week. This makes him one of the greatest Tennis players of all time in my book.

Peter Flemming his long-time doubles partner once said that the best doubles team in the world is: "McEnroe and anyone"
It's also telling that Flemming never won a doubles tournament without McEnroe...

Cheers,
n .

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I sure agree. Brings players like Kafelnikov back in mind. But McEnroe was never given much credit for his doubles and I don't remember any of his tantrums at doubles matches but then I didn't see very many and he got so much bad publicity for his court behaviour, which we would probably not accept today.

By the way, welcome to the club.

Zaragoza
04-23-2008, 12:57 AM
He didnīt play a match on clay in 9 months so I can understand that he wants some practice now. If he plays doubles in Barcelona,Rome or Hamburg then it would be really wrong.

pound cat
04-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Because he really likes playing tennis and playing with a partner is a team thing which he probably misses from his soccer days?

MAX PLY
04-23-2008, 05:56 AM
I have to believe that playing doubles is good for his overall tennis, especially for his play on other surfaces. The strategic returning and vollying should help his all-around game and may actually be less harsh than drilling for the same amount of time. I wish more guys played dubs--probably another reason for fewer serve and volleyers.

ATXtennisaddict
04-23-2008, 07:10 AM
maybe to practice being better at the net. for wimbledon.

flyer
04-23-2008, 07:48 AM
maybe to practice being better at the net. for wimbledon.

and its helped, a lot, how mant "kings of clay" can you name that are as good/confortable at net as he

TheNatural
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
to keep his competitive juices flowing.

Defcon
04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I also think maybe he's playing doubles to better prepare the spanish team for Davis Cup.

I hope he does not get injured. We have interesting times ahead with Fed and Nadal, the top dogs, being challenged by the Djoker.

coloskier
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I also think maybe he's playing doubles to better prepare the spanish team for Davis Cup.

I hope he does not get injured. We have interesting times ahead with Fed and Nadal, the top dogs, being challenged by the Djoker.

Doubles won't affect his knee at all. It might make him more "arm-weary", but that's about it. You don't have to do all the running in doubles that you do in singles, so it won't affect his legs. And, it does wonders for your timing and service return. That's why McEnroe's service return was so good.

ATXtennisaddict
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
and its helped, a lot, how mant "kings of clay" can you name that are as good/confortable at net as he

he was outstanding last wimbledon. it was scary.

10nisDude~
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
...plain and simple...nadal loves to play tennis...

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
He is training for the Olympic games ...Spain wants to have a double tennis team in China

bcast66
04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
That I entirely agree with, I'm not saying he's wrong.

But playing doubles in addition to his insane schedule, with the threat of knee injury, is so mind bogglingly stupid I have to assume he's planning to withdraw from a tournament.

if he is so fit, he should not need to worry about a knee injury.

LuckyR
04-24-2008, 07:05 AM
He's been *****ing and moaning about his unfair clay court schedule from the rooftops. I just find it a very strange decision. If he gets injured I bet we'll get more press about how the ATP is against clay courters. Its not like he needs the practice, its clay !!

Well considering that he usually gets a bye in the first round and plays a patsy in the second (in singles) and that he often loses in the first round in doubles, it doesn't really sound like that much of a burden.

BlueSapphire
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
They probably didn't expect to get past the 2nd round. But they did, and now they've won their QF match as well. They're in the Semis.

z-money
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
A. because he is good at it lol

B. It will help him play wimbledon which he almost won last year. might make the difference against fed this year

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
He is training for the Olympic games ...Spain wants to have a double tennis team in China

Verdasco/Lopez would be sure bet and solid chance at a medal, IMHO.

feetofclay
04-24-2008, 11:40 PM
He enjoys playing tennis. It's good match practice on clay, which he has to adjust to just the same as anyone else. Robredo and Nadal won the Chennai doubles title in 2004.