PDA

View Full Version : Some more K90/Asian K90 talk

geesechops
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't know about this Asian K90. I had a chance to hit indoors tonight with my 4.0-4.5 crew and my backhand was a mess. Volleying was pretty sweet with the lighter weight, which that is why I wanted it in the first place. It's great for those pick up balls close to the service line, but the smokers from the baseline are lacking. I still haven't put my usually full gut job in it yet so hopefully this will help, currently there's a gut/poly hybrid (how it came from kbui).

I wanted to know if anyone has used both of these (US and Asian versions) extensively (I know allot of you have). What were your takes and which one did you end up with and why. And the one you liked more what custom weight mods did you make if any. And mind you I'm a 4.0 and don't need a 13+ oz racquet to absorb 110+ mph serves all day. Thanks y'all.

BreakPoint
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I've used both extensively and I ended up with the AK90. The US K90 may offer a bit more stability and power but since I don't face 120mph serves everyday, I don't really need that much stability nor power. I'd rather take the trade-off of faster racquet head speed, greater maneuverability, and less tiring and stress to the arm and shoulder with the AK90. Besides, I find the AK90 to still be pretty stable for its weight and the control is excellent.

I can actually hit my 1HBH better with the AK90 than with the US K90, and serves are about the same because although there's less weight, I can generate greater racquet head speed on serves so the pace of my serves are about the same, just less soreness in the shoulder the next day.

BTW, I play with my AK90's stock with just an overgrip and a small "O" dampener.

Sentinel
04-23-2008, 12:10 AM
OP, what have u used before this?

BP, not to hijack, but if I had to chose between an AK 90 and an asian ncode 90 which would u suggest. No demos allowed. My current rack is the PS 6.0 95, with about 7gms added on frame.
(Ordering Slazenger, Dunlop, Donnay from US/UK is too expensive due to shipping charges to Asia). My choices here are only Wilson and Head.

My current racket (PS) is 12+ oz (350-360 gms) . The AK90 is 11.x oz.

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Sentinel,

The Asian nCode 90 swings a bit heavier than the AK90, so if you prefer a bit more swingweight, then the AnCode 90 is better for you. The AnCode 90 is also more powerful and a bit stiffer than the AK90.

Sentinel
04-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Sentinel,

The Asian nCode 90 swings a bit heavier than the AK90, so if you prefer a bit more swingweight, then the AnCode 90 is better for you. The AnCode 90 is also more powerful and a bit stiffer than the AK90.

Thanks BP, could you give me a quick comment on these 2 points I have heard here:
1. the K90 (don;t know if this also holds for AK90) has the closest to the classic feel of the PS racks. The ncode 90 due to its ncode does not ?

2. A lot of people have similarly touted the K90 as being the best Wilson racket, wilson finally getting it correct. Actually, praps this i the same point as the above one.

3. oh yes, the other comment i keep hearing is that the K95 is a piece of crap !

The ncode 90 is a lot cheaper here too. I could stock up a few if i like it. Thanks for your thoughts.

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 02:38 AM
The PS 6.0 and the K90 do not contain HyperCarbon, while the nCode 90 does, that's why the K90 feels more like the PS 6.0. However, the addition of HyperCarbon makes the nCode 90 more powerful. That's the purpose of HyperCarbon.

nickb
04-23-2008, 03:03 AM
The PS 6.0 and the K90 do not contain HyperCarbon, while the nCode 90 does, that's why the K90 feels more like the PS 6.0. However, the addition of HyperCarbon makes the nCode 90 more powerful. That's the purpose of HyperCarbon.

Can you prove that?

geesechops
04-23-2008, 05:40 AM
HyperCarbon is some made up name like Karophite. And unless BP is a chemist and melted down a ncode he won't be exactly sure whats in it, however he has pretty good sources and has extensively researched and discussed this numerous times. Believe what you may, carbon fiber or graphite fiber in general is a stiff, strong, lite material, that used in a racquet would yield more power (due to stiffness), while dispersing force throughout the fiber matrix (muted feel). This whole hyper carbon thing can be argued ad nauseam, but BP's theory is a sound one and for whatever structural reason the fact still remains that the ncode and k-factor racquets do have these discernible differences.

BP, I'm going to get my AK90 strung today with TONIC 15L. I usually go 54-56 lbs on my US K90, should I stick with the same tension on the AK90? I'm thinking of going a little tighter. Thanks

the Town Sherif
04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
waiting for alpinecadet post.....
waitng....waiting....

kbui
04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey Rob, I just slapped some lead at 3 & 9 and I was good to go!

Have you tried some lead at various spots ?

geesechops
04-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I prob will after I get the full gut job. I seen the lead on there from before, that might be the fix. Or it could be from the string, I'm just a spoiled gut brat and have to string it in all my racquets or they don't feel right. Although, I'm only gonna mess with one variable at a time.

kbui
04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Rob, the best combo for me has been Tonic/Gosen. I get the same playability of gut but at 1/2 the cost. For the MG Prestige Mids, I've been doing Klip Legend 17/gosen, and it's been great too :)

Keep us posted my brother!

PeterFig
04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I've used both extensively and I ended up with the AK90. The US K90 may offer a bit more stability and power but since I don't face 120mph serves everyday, I don't really need that much stability nor power. I'd rather take the trade-off of faster racquet head speed, greater maneuverability, and less tiring and stress to the arm and shoulder with the AK90. Besides, I find the AK90 to still be pretty stable for its weight and the control is excellent.

I can actually hit my 1HBH better with the AK90 than with the US K90, and serves are about the same because although there's less weight, I can generate greater racquet head speed on serves so the pace of my serves are about the same, just less soreness in the shoulder the next day.

BTW, I play with my AK90's stock with just an overgrip and a small "O" dampener.

That's funny, your post above is something I would have written myself word for word. I have had the exact same experience and to top it off I play my AK90's stock with an overgrip and a "O" dampener.

The more I play with the AK90 the more I love it. Great racquet - one I think I can stick with for a while to come.

lilxjohnyy
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
ak90 is still available in asia right ?

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
HyperCarbon is some made up name like Karophite. And unless BP is a chemist and melted down a ncode he won't be exactly sure whats in it, however he has pretty good sources and has extensively researched and discussed this numerous times. Believe what you may, carbon fiber or graphite fiber in general is a stiff, strong, lite material, that used in a racquet would yield more power (due to stiffness), while dispersing force throughout the fiber matrix (muted feel). This whole hyper carbon thing can be argued ad nauseam, but BP's theory is a sound one and for whatever structural reason the fact still remains that the ncode and k-factor racquets do have these discernible differences.

BP, I'm going to get my AK90 strung today with TONIC 15L. I usually go 54-56 lbs on my US K90, should I stick with the same tension on the AK90? I'm thinking of going a little tighter. Thanks
However, HyperCarbon actually exists as it's a brand name for Ultra High Modulus Graphite, whereas, I don't think Karophite actually exists.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/abouthypercarbon.html

I would actually string the AK90 a bit looser than the US K90 because the AK90 is less powerful so you can compensate for that with a slightly more powerful stringbed (lower tension).

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Can you prove that?
Look up the composition of the nCode 90. It contains 10% HyperCarbon. Then look up the composition of the K90. It contains no HyperCarbon.

Another tip off is the the nCode 90 is Double Braided, whereas, the K90 is not. You only need Double Braiding when you add HyperCarbon because you need to have one braid of regular graphite and another braid of HyperCarbon to integrate the two. The PS 6.0 was also NOT Double Braided because it was only 80% graphite and 20% kevlar with no HyperCarbon.

Here are the composition differences between the 3:

PS 6.0 85/95: 80% Graphite/ 20% Kevlar

nCode 90: 10% nCoded HyperCarbon/ 70% nCoded Graphite/ 20% Kevlar

K90: 80% nCoded Graphite/ 20% Kevlar

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
ak90 is still available in asia right ?
Yes, they are still available.

geesechops
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
BP, just like always, you've got all your facts straight, nice work. But, I gotta run...there's a freshly strung AK90 sitting in my office waiting to crack some one-handers. mmmm...that fresh new gut smell.

geesechops
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Well I'm cured. All it took was some sweet TONIC 15L. I don't know what it is about this string, but it makes all my racquets shine (US K90 and PS 85) . Bottom line, just about every one of my shots are better with this AK90. I get way more control, maneuverability and much more feedback. The flex is crazy too, I never felt a racquet flex this much, I love it. I think the whole power thing is a wash because I'm swinging faster and with more confidence so my shots actually have more zing then with the heavier K90. I think the only advantage the US K90 would have for me is a smoking flat shot were I could absorb a little more pace in returning, but otherwise I think I'm gonna stick with the AK90 for a while and see how it goes. Once again (like the PS 85 back in 2006) the great members of the TW forums have opened my eyes to a new racquet I would have otherwise never bothered to hit with, thus giving me more enjoyment for this game. Isn't that what its all about anyway.:smile:

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying the AK90 with your new set-up, geesechops! :)

Just remember that this is the last generation of the Asian version, so if you really like it, you may want to stock up on a few while they're still available.

Good luck.

geesechops
04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I hear that! Seems like every time I like a racquet it ends up on the chopping block.

lilxjohnyy
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
ooo ... i must have read wrong. I thought they werent going to produce any more ak90. turns out they will but they wont produce any more "asians" in future... either way it sucks. O well im going to get a ak90 just to try out.

Lee James
04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Any rough estimates on the swingweight of the asian k90?

geesechops
04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
rough..uhhh... ALLOT lighter than US K90! I would say about 320. Anyone know if I'm close?

Lee James
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm really interested in this stick. I play a PS Tour 90 right now, but I'm having a hard time getting it around when playing heavy hitters, or playing for long lenghts of time.

Sentinel
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Here are the composition differences between the 3:

PS 6.0 85/95: 80% Graphite/ 20% Kevlar

BP, above this line it says "Braided Graphite/ Kevlar composite"

so there is some of this "braiding" in the PS 6.0.

Edit: my guess is that this is single braiding of Graphite and Kevlar. The ncode has braiding of HC and Graphite, and then a second braiding of this and kevlar ???

The more I play with the AK90 the more I love it. Great racquet - one I think I can stick with for a while to come.You are making me drool - wanna run out and buy one, except they are 2x the price of my PS :-(

geesechops
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
It's a definite try for the Pro Staff/Tour 85-90 crew that want a little less weight to deal with and must have a flat beam like me. After setting it up properly, I am very impressed and feel I have what I always wanted in a Wilson Tour racquet. I just hope these feelings last.

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
ooo ... i must have read wrong. I thought they werent going to produce any more ak90. turns out they will but they wont produce any more "asians" in future... either way it sucks. O well im going to get a ak90 just to try out.
Huh? The "AK90" stands for "Asian K90".

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
BP, above this line it says "Braided Graphite/ Kevlar composite"

so there is some of this "braiding" in the PS 6.0.

Edit: my guess is that this is single braiding of Graphite and Kevlar. The ncode has braiding of HC and Graphite, and then a second braiding of this and kevlar ???

Yes, the PS 6.0 has only a single braiding of the graphite.

The nCode 90 has one layer of graphite braid and then a second layer of HyperCarbon braid, making it "Double Braided".

BreakPoint
04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
rough..uhhh... ALLOT lighter than US K90! I would say about 320. Anyone know if I'm close?
That sounds about right to me.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
man this thread makes me want to try out the asian k90 haha

geesechops
04-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Played at the club tonight and my reaction on volleys was sick!! I also have never hit my forehand harder or with more spin. Those mid-court sitters were getting crushed like never before. Serve was pretty nice too. All the touch shots were so easy with such a light racquet it felt like I was playing ping pong at net and could put it anywhere. This racquet is lighter than my NSix-One 95, which I thought lacked power because it was only 11.7 oz (unstrung), but with the AK90's 11.3 oz and a little strip of lead in the handle this thing comes up with power that kicks my 85's arse on a good day! If your into the flat beams and only play with the Pro Staff's/N90/K90 and wish they had less weight (prob not the folks who rock the 13+ oz lead monsters), then stop the drooling and get one. Of course this is all personal and results may vary, but with less than a week with this stick I'm convinced it's the biggest weapon I've ever had.

Lee James
04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Played at the club tonight and my reaction on volleys was sick!! I also have never hit my forehand harder or with more spin. Those mid-court sitters were getting crushed like never before. Serve was pretty nice too. All the touch shots were so easy with such a light racquet it felt like I was playing ping pong at net and could put it anywhere. This racquet is lighter than my NSix-One 95, which I thought lacked power because it was only 11.7 oz (unstrung), but with the AK90's 11.3 oz and a little strip of lead in the handle this thing comes up with power that kicks my 85's arse on a good day! If your into the flat beams and only play with the Pro Staff's/N90/K90 and wish they had less weight (prob not the folks who rock the 13+ oz lead monsters), then stop the drooling and get one. Of course this is all personal and results may vary, but with less than a week with this stick I'm convinced it's the biggest weapon I've ever had.

I'm highly tempted to get it. I've been trying to psyche myself out of forking over the money for a couple. Why must racquets be so expensive!!!! Being as cheap as I am, I've really been thinking hard about buying a few lm radicals, and fiddling with them until I get a configuration I feel comfortable with.

HoVa
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I've been on a 4 month demo of the Asian K90. (actually, I bought it thinking that it could be my stick of choice on my tennis comeback)

was i WROOONNGG!

at first, I fell in love with it. I was driving the ball deep and hitting with spin (when I wasn't on the run). As I started to get my form back and my footwork, I realized that in order to be effective with this stick, I had to be on my A game, all the time.

It was so much effort making sure I was prepping early and proper footwork. I couldn't get lazy. There was no give in this stick.

Sadly, this stick will just be part of the collection. I've hit some incredible shots with it but I just can't get consistent with it.

BreakPoint
04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
It was so much effort making sure I was prepping early and proper footwork. I couldn't get lazy. There was no give in this stick.

But isn't that part of the joy of playing tennis? The effort you have to put in which results in great shots? You don't want a racquet to do all the work for you, do you? If so, you might as well just play Wii video game tennis. :shock: That way you can be lazy and still win. :)

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
i really wish i had the opportunity to demo the AK90, but i dont, and also.. i need a 5/8 grip size.

The k90 was great, but swung a bit too heavy for my liking-- just a bit too much effort was needed.

I have settled on the rds001 mid... after demoing the k90 and the rds 001.

BP.. have you hit with the rds? How would you compare it to the k90/ak90

thanks for your help in the other threads BP, and if anyone has a AK90 in 5/8 grip size... let me know =)

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
ive hit with the rds it has nice spin on it and does swing really light compared to the k90 but i prefer the k90 alot more because it gives me a heavier shot

BreakPoint
04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
BP.. have you hit with the rds? How would you compare it to the k90/ak90

thanks for your help in the other threads BP, and if anyone has a AK90 in 5/8 grip size... let me know =)
You're welcome.

Yes, I have hit with the RDS 001 Mid. In fact, I did a comparative playtest of it for TW when it first came out. I rated it first, over the DNX 10 Mid and the FXP Prestige Mid: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP06.html

The RDS 001 Mid, like the RDX 500 Mid before it, has a huge sweetspot and very good control. It has a nice feel to it which is different from that of the AK90, so I guess it just comes down to what kind of feel you prefer. To me, the RDS 001 Mid feels much more like a "modern" racquet to me in that it's almost over-engineered, making it almost too perfect and clinical, if you know what I mean. OTOH, the AK90 feels pretty much like a wood racquet to me, with all of its flaws, but with more rawness and soul, like it's part of your body. The RDS 001 Mid feels more like a precision instrument rather than the extension of my arm that the AK90 feels like to me.

Hope that helps.

HeadPrestige
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
You're welcome.

Yes, I have hit with the RDS 001 Mid. In fact, I did a comparative playtest of it for TW when it first came out. I rated it first, over the DNX 10 Mid and the FXP Prestige Mid: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP06.html

The RDS 001 Mid, like the RDX 500 Mid before it, has a huge sweetspot and very good control. It has a nice feel to it which is different from that of the AK90, so I guess it just comes down to what kind of feel you prefer. To me, the RDS 001 Mid feels much more like a "modern" racquet to me in that it's almost over-engineered, making it almost too perfect and clinical, if you know what I mean. OTOH, the AK90 feels pretty much like a wood racquet to me, with all of its flaws, but with more rawness and soul, like it's part of your body. The RDS 001 Mid feels more like a precision instrument rather than the extension of my arm that the AK90 feels like to me.

Hope that helps.

I just wanted to see what you thought about the rackets--- i was curious.

Jeez... i would love to try an AK90... but i guess the rds will be fine :)

I enjoyed your comparative review as well-- and agree with your comparisons between the rds and the fxp mid. Seems like we have relatively similar taste in rackets.

If they made a 6.0 95 with the SW around 325 it would be perfect. Until then, the rds 001 will have to suffice.

dgoran
04-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Might be a shocker to you all (as it was to me) but SW of Asian k90 is 289 as measured by very reputable stringer shop in my neck of the woods.

I have both US and Asian K90 and after the initial adjustment to the weight difference I am loving US k90 little better.

dgoran
04-26-2008, 04:46 PM
^^^^^^
wt 324
swt 289
flex 65

HeadPrestige
04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
289????? that seems absurdly low.

dgoran
04-26-2008, 04:51 PM
That was my reaction 2 lol...

HoVa
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I only have access to the AK90, but I can't even imagine swinging a USK90.

The AK90 is already a tank for me and I'm a very good player. I can't get the K90 to "whip".

For those that can handle it, I commend you. You either are a strong guy or have excellent preperation or are fooling yourself.

morten
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Might be a shocker to you all (as it was to me) but SW of Asian k90 is 289 as measured by very reputable stringer shop in my neck of the woods.

I have both US and Asian K90 and after the initial adjustment to the weight difference I am loving US k90 little better.

unstrung i guess?

BkK_b0y14
04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
So, I have a question for you BreakPoint. I've been playing with the K90 the past few days and everything feels great with it. I can get all the same shots as with my POG but in some cases wayyy better. I hit some forehands that I have never been able to hit before. Although it has many positive aspects, the biggest down side of it is that the swingweight is very high and I don't think I would be able to handle it over long periods of playing. So my question is, would the AK90 be for me? Is it similar in pretty much all aspects to the K90 apart from static weight and swingweight?

BreakPoint
04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
So, I have a question for you BreakPoint. I've been playing with the K90 the past few days and everything feels great with it. I can get all the same shots as with my POG but in some cases wayyy better. I hit some forehands that I have never been able to hit before. Although it has many positive aspects, the biggest down side of it is that the swingweight is very high and I don't think I would be able to handle it over long periods of playing. So my question is, would the AK90 be for me? Is it similar in pretty much all aspects to the K90 apart from static weight and swingweight?
Yes and yes.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I only have access to the AK90, but I can't even imagine swinging a USK90.

The AK90 is already a tank for me and I'm a very good player. I can't get the K90 to "whip".

For those that can handle it, I commend you. You either are a strong guy or have excellent preperation or are fooling yourself.

planning on selling that ak90?

BkK_b0y14
04-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes and yes.

So, is there any way of demoing it? Or should I just buy off a whim? Email me that "authorized dealer" to me: iamahadi@comcast.net

BreakPoint
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
So, is there any way of demoing it? Or should I just buy off a whim? Email me that "authorized dealer" to me: iamahadi@comcast.net
No, you cannot demo it. You just have to buy one and try it out. E-mail sent.

morten
04-28-2008, 12:50 AM
send me one too Breakpoint, thanks tommyandre@hotmail.com

kkao
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd like to know where I can get one, too. Thanks a bunch.
kao.kelvin@gmail.com

PeterFig
04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I just got two more Asian K90's from BreakPoint's source - great to deal with and delivered in a couple days from Hong Kong to Canada. I'm up to 4 of these frames now and loving them. I can't think of ever switching from this racquet.
Thanks again BreakPoint!!!!

m1stuhxsp4rk5
05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
hey geese how did you crack you ak90?

Sentinel
05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Hova,
so what are you going back to?

I have some questions about this kind of a situation. If you go back to a lighter frame, you may not be at your best when your A game is on. Also, you may never really enjoy your tennis again.

Is it not better to try to grow into your favorite stick.