PDA

View Full Version : Bring the net game back

joemanblues
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
We all know that the Serve and Volley game or the Net game has been practically non existent for a good while now, and the leading theory is that thanks to all the poly and co poly strings, being at the net is suicide now, however we all know that the players in today's game are athletes that are head and shoulders above most of the players from the mid 90's and earlier, save for Borg, Chan and a few others. The Baseline games has seen a massive improvement from the new technology and training, and of course the open stance. My question is, can we change technique or improve the training at net or make some changes to the transition game in order to make a return of a true all court game. What are your thoughts. can anything be done?

Leublu tennis
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
With the massive serves and huge ground strokes that you see today, the net game is of secondary consideration. Look how far back players stay to receive the serve and look at the frequent use of the low percentage drop shot. All in all, players seem to do well enough at the net, when they find themselves there.

Blade0324
04-23-2008, 07:20 AM
IMHO the best way to accomplish this would be to us a lower pressure ball that would slow down serves and groundstrokes and make it less suicide at the net. This would also increase the length of rallies from the baseline so players would be naturally encouraged to get to net to and points more quickly. With all this said I am NOT at all a fan of S&V or a net game other than to follow in a short ball shot and finish. I much prefer todays game than that of the game in the 80's etc.

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I've never cared for Serve and Volley tennis and glad I don't have to see too much of it now. All court players and grinders are more interesting matchups.

Vision84
04-23-2008, 07:44 AM
The options would be

1.to enlarge the length of the court neutralizing somewhat the speed of the ball that players hit at these days.
2. ban poly strings so players us more touch strings that produce less power.
3. Wood rackets.
4. Use lower pressure balls or larger balls.
5. alter game rules.
6. speed up some surfaces such as wimbledon

I think 3 is unfeasable, 2 may be to much work, 1 is unfeasable, and 5 is to complicated, leaving us with option 4 and 6. I think large balls would not be good for the bodies of player, particularily the shoulder and lowering the pressure of balls is a good option though the feeling of hitting a less pressurized ball sucks from personal experience so I don't know. 6 would be great but would need to be done with other methods as on its own will make the game to lopsided the other way.

lordmanji
04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
serve and volley is BORING. thank god the game is more balanced now with emphasis on groundstrokes and then finishing off at the net.

skiracer55
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
..pure S & V is boring, but I also think that a lot of today's ATP tennis breaks down to "big serve, big forehand, that is all you need to know", and THAT is certainly boring. If you saw the recent Davis Cup matches vs. France, some really interesting, high quality tennis IMHO...on a fairly fast composition court. One of the commentators, I think it was Cliff Drysdale, quoted Roddick to the effect that most of today's hardcourt surfaces are like "playing in sand", and it sure looks that way to me. All the other remedies, such as but not limited to banning poly strings, might work, but I think adjusting the surface speed on hardcourts might produce the most well-rounded game...

fastdunn
04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Both baseline game and S&V can be exciting as well as boring at times.

Current baseline game is very exciting compared to that of past. That's good. But homogenity is not good. We have lost variety of styles and more importantly variety of match ups(dynamics) since some time after 2001-2003.

I don't think we have ever this much of homogeneous playing styles in history of tennis.

Defcon
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
The OP is not talking about pure S&V but net game, i.e. all court players who are comfortable at net.

Anyone who says that they don't like volleying isn't really a true tennis fan. In tennis academies I don't see the kids being taught how to volley at all, its just groundstrokes. And this is reflected in the pros, except for a few, most have no transition game and are clueless on net approaches.

I find endless topspin baseline rallies a lot more boring than a sneaky chip and charge followed by a knifed volley.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Let's face it, EVERY tennis great (in men's) was always up at the net. I personally feel that it still holds important relevance today, and I also feel that if certain pros used this style more often, we'd have more dominating pros. Part of Federer's domination, at least early on, was due to his style that included more volleying. Like it or not, approaching the net is still the most effective style of play.

bluetrain4
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Bring "balance" back. I would love to see more net play, but have no interest in seeing 80's and 90's Wimbledon-type serve-fests, where every point is two shots.

morten
04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
2 things, raise the net a bit, and/or give a volley winner TWO points!!!!

Andres
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
2 things, raise the net a bit, and/or give a volley winner TWO points!!!!
If you raise the net a bit, both big servers and flat hitters get screwed. Spinners win, in this scenario.

ollinger
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Net game never left....you don't see that much now because everyone is on clay, but the best players in the game currently are able to work the ball around and then finish at the net. You see it all the time on hardcourts and of course you'll see it on grass. S&V likely won't be back to any significant degree but I'd rather watch all-court play.

Stchamps
04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
True balance will never be achieved.

simi
04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
The options would be

1.to enlarge the length of the court neutralizing somewhat the speed of the ball that players hit at these days.
2. ban poly strings so players us more touch strings that produce less power.
3. Wood rackets.
4. Use lower pressure balls or larger balls.
5. alter game rules.
6. speed up some surfaces such as wimbledon

Somewhat agree. Option 1 and 5 will never happen. Option 6 is up to the individual tournaments and will always continue to be variable. Option 4 is not going to happen either. You will have a lot more injuries with either playing with "dead" balls or larger ones.

That leaves 2 and 3. Three won't happen, due to industry influence, however, two might work. As an analogy, major league baseball bans metal bats and only allows wooden bats. That game still has a semblance of balance, even though the balance ebbs and flows throughout the years.

Nadal_Freak
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
balls;2276753']Let's face it, EVERY tennis great (in men's) was always up at the net. I personally feel that it still holds important relevance today, and I also feel that if certain pros used this style more often, we'd have more dominating pros. Part of Federer's domination, at least early on, was due to his style that included more volleying. Like it or not, approaching the net is still the most effective style of play.
Old school way of thinking. Passing shots are too good these days. The best thing to be is well rounded. Equally able to be successful at the net as the baseline.

araghava
04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I think lower bouncing courts that take the slice would be a good way to encourage volleying. Basically you want to have an advantage from being up at the net. Today's high bouncing slow surfaces allow a baseliner to setup and blast the ball. It would be much harder to hit passing shots if the ball were skidding at shin level. Especially with the extreme western grip a lot of pros use. So i say, have a bunch of tournaments where the ball keeps low. You'll see a lot more players come to net.

joemanblues
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
The OP is not talking about pure S&V but net game, i.e. all court players who are comfortable at net.

Anyone who says that they don't like volleying isn't really a true tennis fan. In tennis academies I don't see the kids being taught how to volley at all, its just groundstrokes. And this is reflected in the pros, except for a few, most have no transition game and are clueless on net approaches.

I find endless topspin baseline rallies a lot more boring than a sneaky chip and charge followed by a knifed volley.

Could not agree more, its so predatory in a way, its more of a thinking mans game when that happens, it forces you to know your opponent very well and to think on the fly as opposed to just bashing from corner to corner

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
We all know that the Serve and Volley game or the Net game has been practically non existent for a good while now, and the leading theory is that thanks to all the poly and co poly strings, being at the net is suicide now, however we all know that the players in today's game are athletes that are head and shoulders above most of the players from the mid 90's and earlier, save for Borg, Chan and a few others. The Baseline games has seen a massive improvement from the new technology and training, and of course the open stance. My question is, can we change technique or improve the training at net or make some changes to the transition game in order to make a return of a true all court game. What are your thoughts. can anything be done?

don't worry, it will be back!

Babb
04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I've never cared for Serve and Volley tennis and glad I don't have to see too much of it now. All court players and grinders are more interesting matchups.
I agree. (10)

superstition
04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Check out the topic in my signature.

Djokovicfan4life
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I always laugh when people say that serve and volley is boring. Like it's a bad thing to actually construct a point or something. Sure, every time can get old and certainly won't win too many matches these days, but net rushers can still keep up with the big hitters and certainly aren't boring to watch IMO.

StunLock
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
This game is too one-dimensional nowadays.

junbumkim
04-23-2008, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree that net game is completely gone.
Certainly, we don't see serve-volleyers who would constantly attack the net, but there are a lot of players who start from the baseline and look to attack the net.

So the game has evolved more towards baseline yet the emphasis on net-attack hasn't diminished.

tennis_hand
04-24-2008, 03:40 AM
serve and volley is BORING. thank god the game is more balanced now with emphasis on groundstrokes and then finishing off at the net.

totally agree.

coloskier
04-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Personally I think you should only get 1/2 a point if you win the point through a UFE, and only winners get a full point. POWER TENNIS RULES!!!

Nellie
04-24-2008, 08:19 AM
The problem with tennis is not the strings. Players now are pressured to win at an earlier age, and young teens are not physically or mentally mature enough to play S&V. Let's just say that you are not going to see S&V players coming out of the Bolletari academy. If there are new S&V players, they will have to come out of wierd background, like how Sampras was trained for years by his neighbor.

I do think you are starting to see more variety, for example, with the French players because of their national training system.

Nadal_Freak
04-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Personally I think you should only get 1/2 a point if you win the point through a UFE, and only winners get a full point. POWER TENNIS RULES!!!
:rolleyes: That's all we need are more mindless ball bashers.

vandre
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM
just for the sake of discussion, i'm gonna suggest another alternative. previous discussions have beat poly string, head size racquet stiffness and speed of the surface into the ground. what about this- pros actually learning how to volley. i watched murray playing djoker this morning. murray came in and didn't do anything with the volley. can guess what happened next? djoker pass him with a backhand. that point sums up why i think the netgame is nonexistent in the pros- most of them have probably never been taught how to play there. this isn't the first time i've seen this happen and murray isn't the only one i've ever seen do it.

secondly, the net game is alive and well in doubles. what racquets and string are they using? what balls are they hitting? what courts are they playing on?

if you don't like the current variety of tennis, the best thing for you to do is wait. my local pro (like others in other places i'm sure) is beating the net game into his jrs. the net game will come back around again. whether we like it or not.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Old school way of thinking. Passing shots are too good these days. The best thing to be is well rounded. Equally able to be successful at the net as the baseline.Somewhat agree. Passing shots are always difficult to hit regularly. Eventually, the net play always outperforms the passers. All around performance is obviously important, but baseline play should be a given in any tennis player's game. We need to see more net play! Old school or not history proves this point, and always will. Forcing passing shots always put one in an uncomfortable postion. I think the odds favor the net player, especially since a minority of players today are really good at hitting passing shots all the time. I can think of two or three players where one might need to change style from volleying to a more cautious form of play, the first being Nadal.

joeri888
04-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't like grinders or serve&volleyers better. But I'd like tennis to be with more variation. The grass should be quicker, the rackets smaller and the clay should stay the same. I'd love to see players like Becker and Sampras matchup against players like Nadal or Davydenko. Sampras vs Agassi was always a joy to watch because of the clash of styles.

coloskier
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
:rolleyes: That's all we need are more mindless ball bashers.

Sure beats watching human backboards.

Hatari!
04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
One of the things I've noticed with kids these days is that they're actually pretty good net players, with more than adequate volleys. However, their TRANSITION from the baseline to the net sucks. Most kids only think of the approach shot as the winner, instead of the shot that sets up the winner, causing them to choke. Of course, the power of today's racquets has a part in it too.